User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adrian109
(learned) Tue 08-May-12 07:06:55
Print Post

BT Infinity initial 10 day results - is this normal?

[link to this post]

Went onto BT Infinity last Thursday and was getting 30Mbps down and 6.5Mbps up. Have been using speedtest.net to test this.

In the last two days its decreased to 8Mbps down and 5.5Mbps up. frown

I have noticed that speedtest.net is reporting a different IP address and it appears the speed decreased when the IP address changed.

I have done the BT speed checker and noticed my IP profile has dropped from 30.75Mbps to 8.67Mbps

Will the speeds I saw initially return?

Edited by adrian109 (Tue 08-May-12 13:30:12)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-May-12 00:34:10
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity initial 10 day results - is this normal?

[re: adrian109] [link to this post]

Reboot the HH3 and retest. Do you get better results?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User chris6273
(member) Sat 12-May-12 09:03:04
Print Post

If the reset doesn't help like BatBoy suggested, then you need to get a hold of BT because I believe there is a minimum guaranteed speed on BT Infinity (15Mbps last time I checked).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adrian109
(learned) Sat 12-May-12 09:39:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have rebooted the openreach modem and HH3 a couple of times now. The first time my IP Profile went up to 15Mbps, the second time I rebooted it went to 21Mbps and I'm now getting 20Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

The BT speed checker predicted before I had Infinity installed that I could get 22Mbps down and 5.6 up. So I guess its leveled out now.

Am a bit disapointed as after the initial install the Openreach engineer tested it as 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up. And I saw that consistent for the first 4 days after the install. Then something changed my IP address as I saw a different one in speedtest.net and at this point it had dropped to below 15Mbps.

Do you think it will ever go back up to 30Mbps and stay there?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-May-12 09:50:21
Print Post

To me, it sounds like some fault. I'd raise it with BT.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-May-12 13:29:21
Print Post

Needs a rerun of the 10 days, as BT Wholesale will almost certainly stick to the false MSR/FTR that has resulted, if there is any problem in the future.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User adrian109
(learned) Sat 12-May-12 14:02:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Who do I need to speak to in order to request a re-run of the 10 day stabilisation?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-May-12 14:06:14
Print Post

The retail ISP, i.e. BT Retail in your case

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Sun 13-May-12 20:40:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does this look normal for 10 day training period. Constant 30Mbps for the first 4 days, then modem gets new IP address somehow (not manually rebooted). Then speed goes down to 8.5Mbps until I manually reboot modem and then eventually gets to a maximum of 20Mbps. BT IP profile now set to 21.68Mbps, which was originally over 30Mbps on first 4 days.

My speedtest.net results
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-May-12 21:54:28
Print Post

No, it looks like a line fault.

Standard User adrian109
(regular) Sun 13-May-12 22:08:37
Print Post

What makes you think that?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-May-12 22:12:26
Print Post

The reduction in the IP profile.

Standard User adrian109
(regular) Mon 14-May-12 11:36:50
Print Post

I contacted BT customer care via the weblink:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

I got a phone call this morning to say that they had run a test on my line and had found a fault in the exchange, so a fault has been raised and an openreach engineer will fix it within 3 days.

Hopefully in time my IP profile will start to rise!
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 14-May-12 12:32:08
Print Post

They told me the same thing having done sod all.

Resetting your DLM profile currently requires an engineer callout, it can't be done at the exchange.
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Thu 17-May-12 20:38:49
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

BT are annoying me now!

Already had a broadband fault raised about the speed issue, I was told someone would ring me once the fault on the line at the exchange was fixed. No one called.

So I called them and had to go through their scripted call, i.e. reset the openreach modem via the reset button (not by pulling the power out and pluging it back in), then had to reset the home hub 3 this time I was told to take the power cable out and put it back in!

Anyway the result of all this was zip! Speed was the same. So was told to montior the speed every 3 hours and I would get a call back the following evening. Again no call was made last night.

So tonight I phoned them spoke to someone different who had to following the same script. He ran a line test and said he couldn't find a fault on the line and tried to palm me off to their Home IT department for home technical support.

He just didn't get that the speed had been capped on the line by the IP profile.

I asked to speak to his supervisor, who did call me back. He was very short with me and just said I need to unplug my phone from the master socket so I can't make or receive any calls for the next one hour so they can run a line test??? (He did mention something like outage in the sentence but to be honest I couldn't undestand him very well!)

Never heard of that before, has anyone else been asked to do the same test procedure?

All I want is an engineer to come to my property to plug in his test equipment into my master socket and reset my sync speed (DLM) - is that so difficult??
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Thu 17-May-12 22:25:01
Print Post

After more calls to BT and failure of call backs from the supervisor, it seems that my last call has been more productive.

Again I explain the problem, and it seemed that the guy understood it, that there had been a PSTN fault which has been fixed, but a speed cap had been put on the line due to the original fault; and I need that cap removed.

Apparently he doesn't have the authority to remove the cap it needs to go through to the "level 2" department which is now closed!! (just about sums up my evening on the phone)

So have to call BT back again tomorrow when the "level 2" department is open and hope and pray that their is someone there compendent enough to know how to remove the cap, or at least send an engineer out!

Right off to bed now with my fingers crossed!
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Fri 18-May-12 08:42:52
Print Post

Phoned again this morning hoping to be put through to the "level 2"department, but first had to go through all the same tests (e.g.are you connected by a cable and deleted temp internet files and plugged into the gig E port on the HH3)

After all the tests passed they wouldn't put me through to the "level 2" department as they said:

1) my download speed is within acceptable speed range for my line
2) BT Infinity doesn't get capped like ADSL so there is no cap to remove (IP Profile)

Not sure whether number 2) is correct or not - am so confused.

So basically on Infinity they won't sent out an engineer to my property to reset the DLM / sync speed / IP Profile.

Should I get a second opinion??
Standard User dazb73
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 14:45:28
Print Post

Ive been with BTInfinity Option 2 just over a week now was promised 57 meg DL and 20 up when signed up. I know im still in the 10 day period ive done several speedtest and am getting only 20mb DL and 12 UP. Im connected wireless and using macbook. Ive kept the HH3 on all the time by the way.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-12 17:56:35
Print Post

[re: dazb73] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dazb73:
Im connected wireless and using macbook. Ive kept the HH3 on all the time by the way.

Test again with an ethernet cable between your macbook and the HH3 - your speeds sound suspiciously like the limits of Wireless G technology.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User dazb73
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 18:44:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I connected the macbook to the HH3 using ethernet and got 73 DL and 15 UL that was using the speedtester site from BT. And that Macbook is Wireless N.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-12 18:57:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by dazb73:
I connected the macbook to the HH3 using ethernet and got 73 DL and 15 UL that was using the speedtester site from BT.

Great!

And that Macbook is Wireless N.

But doesn't tell us if your neighbours have flooded the area with wireless signals that stop you getting the higher speeds.

Ethernet is the only way when testing, unless you live in the middle of nowhere (and wouldn't have FTTC then!).

No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 18-May-12 19:02:21
Print Post

My experience of BT support has been to talk dumb to them, but remain reasonable. Ironically for me, they're excessively intent on calling me back, even while I'm sleeping (got a callback at 1am yesterday after reporting a fault at 00:45).

In my case they didn't ask me to reset my router or modem at all, when I first called it was to get DLM reset and remove interleaving on my line. They didn't really quite get what I was asking for and just took it as a low speed enquiry, asked me to do a speedtest on speedtester.bt.com

Them: "What was the result"
Me: "10 mbps"
Them: "What does it say for IP profile?"
Me: "Unable to determine IP profile for your line"
Them: "OK we'll send an engineer, what time suits?"

Engineer arrived, was an extremely helpful and well trained guy (as per all Openreach engineers I've had) and fixed the problem in about 5 minutes.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 19:03:13
Print Post

Do you have any older wireless G devices connected? They tend to pull down the whole wifi connection down to their level.

The default HH3 setting is 802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)- if you change this to 802.11 n 40 MHz you should notice an improvement. To change, go to http://192.168.1.254/ and log in to your router. Go to Settings>Advanced Settings and click on "Continue to Advanced Settings". Click on Wireless, then change the Wireless interface type as above.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 18-May-12 19:08:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by adrian109:
After all the tests passed they wouldn't put me through to the "level 2" department as they said:

1) my download speed is within acceptable speed range for my line
2) BT Infinity doesn't get capped like ADSL so there is no cap to remove (IP Profile)

Not sure whether number 2) is correct or not - am so confused.

So basically on Infinity they won't sent out an engineer to my property to reset the DLM / sync speed / IP Profile.

Should I get a second opinion??

2) is certainly incorrect.

Like I said, it was somewhat simpler for me, but there's a few things you could do:

1) Make your download speed outside acceptable limits. Reset your modem 50 times in a row, and DLM will probably cap you to 5mbps. Call again.

2) Disconnect modem. Pretend you didn't and it's faulty. Call again. They'll book an engineer pretty quick.

3) Give up and wait until DLM determines your line is stable, and increases your speed by itself.

When I tried this, it took over 4 weeks, and is still getting there (fault occurred 25th April). Cap gradually started increasing from about 10 days afterwards and has increased from 47mbps up to 74mbps out of the full 80. I expect it'll be restored to 80 within the next week, making 5 weeks total (!).

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 18-May-12 19:11:20)

Standard User dazb73
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 22:03:36
Print Post

In relation to other wireless devices Jaggiers yes i have a Toshiba laptop which is a/b also my PS3 which is G. I have done 2 more tests on speedtester and i got 74 Meg on both test which were also wireless. I curremtly dont have the Toshiba Laptop switched on but even when i do the maximum i get is about !2 meg DL because of it not being N. I will go into the Router settings and try what you said. Ive just gone into the Homehub setting to change to what you said to 40 hz but it said it wasnt compatable so ive left it on 8.02 n.

Edited by dazb73 (Fri 18-May-12 22:37:20)

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Sat 19-May-12 00:52:25
Print Post

It was worth a try - I've got one wireless G laptop connecting here which still connects OK when the router is set to N only as per my last post.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 04:51:58
Print Post

5 weeks!!! that's totally unacceptable did they give you are reduction for that period? Why must they use DLM? There should be an option to disable it altogether, but the BT Retail will not do that,why because it acts as an automated way of capping sync and that must be in someway to their advantage

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 08:29:23
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
5 weeks!!! that's totally unacceptable did they give you are reduction for that period? Why must they use DLM? There should be an option to disable it altogether, but the BT Retail will not do that,why because it acts as an automated way of capping sync and that must be in someway to their advantage

Surely you've read the DLM on FTTC is quite different to that on ADSL. Its managed by OpenReach's DSLAM equipment which none of the ISPs have any control over - even Sky and TalkTalk who don't use the WBC network have to have this DLM. I suspect only areas such as Digital Region that have non OpenReach fibre can avoid this.

Oh - and why they use DLM ? I asked this years ago and people on thinkbroadband said that its needed for the wholesale networks of any provider that sells service to third parties. They need to be able to select a speed to transit over the wholesale link, not just "up/down as it feels like it".

Edited by jchamier (Sat 19-May-12 20:15:28)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-May-12 09:21:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I know, it's unbelievable.

My experience is totally different.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to