User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 21-May-12 10:44:30
Print Post

Re:Fibre Option 3 Much Slower than Predicted Speed

[re: new2fibre] [link to this post]

The cancellation clause is part of the terms on which Openreach provide the line and backhaul service to your ISP, whether your retail ISP passes that privilege onto you is another matter, but I would hope that they do.

I would expect well over 10mbps at 1.2 miles. On ADSL2+, my line (2359m length according to BT) was achieving 16.7mb. 10mb is quite a conservative estimate, and given a good line I'd expect max sync speeds in the 15mb-20mb range, though it may not stay stable at those speeds.
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 11:23:33
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply. It does sound as though I should be able to get a lot faster speed than 3 MB. The engineer inititally thought I should get at least 15 MB but then found he had difficulties getting a sustained signal from the line with his test equipment.

I've just heard from BT and I've been told to wait until the end of the 10 day period and then to reset the router (is this the button on the back of the white router rather than the black hub?). BT think that the speed will go up to at least 9 MB when I reset the router at the end of the 10 day period but I think it is pretty doubtful.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 21-May-12 11:27:04
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

On a near perfect line of around 1.2 miles or 6300 feet, I would have expected to see about 25Mb downstream and possibly 2Mb upstream - based on experimental results I have seen. Factors which will affect it are: background noise, cross talk, line quality/attenuation, and the exact band plan in use. The original 10Mb estimate take those into account and probably more than necessary which is why most reports are of people receiving the predicted speed or greater.

Most of this is outside the OPs control, but it might be worth turning off everything in the house (including fridge, freezer, radios and anything on standby) just to make sure that there is nothing causing interference.,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 11:44:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply, it definitely seems as though I should be getting a much faster speed than 3 MB. As I was saying though, the installing engineer couldn't carry out a speed test on the line as his test equipment couldn't hold a signal. It strikes me as though I am stuck with a poor quality line here. I will try disconnecting everything but ultimately it seems that the line will probably need to be worked on.

BT seem to think that it is usual for the speed to be slow in the 10 day period to train the line but on the contrary I have read online that many connections actually get slower after their initial speed! I certainly hope my speed doesn't slow down or I'll be going back to dial up speeds I was getting 10 years ago! Can I just check that BT meant me resetting the router (i.e. the white box rather than the black hub) when asking me to reset the router at the end of the 10 day period? As you can tell, I'm not technically minded!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 21-May-12 12:00:22
Print Post

Can I ask what you mean by 3MB ... is that 3 Mega bits per second or 3 Mega Bytes per second? There is a significant difference between the two. a lower case b refers to bits and upper case B to Bytes - you need to ensure you use the correct b or B also m for milli and M for Mega.

You should get faster but if all the line factors are against you then it really can affect the capability of the line. If the technician could not achieve sync - it does suggest the line is of poor quality/high impedance/noisy ...

Have you considered reflashing teh modem firmware which will allow you to see and report line stats?

The white box is the Modem, the black is the hub /router.

M H C

Standard User greenglide
(member) Mon 21-May-12 13:14:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
The white box is the Modem, the black is the hub /router.

The above is perfectly true, however to force a resync (which is the only way that the line speed will increase) you need to reboot (switch off then switch on or press the reset button).

So you need to reset the white modem irrespective of what BT say!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 13:19:33
Print Post

The download speed I achieved was 3 Mbps so it is just under a third of the predicted speed. I've just double checked the letter of confirmation and the predicted speed was definitely also quoted in Mbps.

It sounds as though I've got a pretty awful quality line. I don't suppose that BT would fit a new line for me, realistically is there anyway of BT improving the line or will this require a lot of work? (not to mention expense!)

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean re: reflashing the modem firmware as I'm not very technically minded. If the line is of poor quality though, this seems to be the main bugbear, over and above the distance from the cabinet.

I will reset the black hub on the 10th day after installation (I presume this is what the BT guy meant when asking me to reset the router) but I can't imagine it will make any difference. Probably a silly question but is there any chance I will mess up the present connection by resetting the router. Although 3 Mbps is pretty slow, the actual connection has been extremely reliable since the installation so I don't wish to risk messing up the connection!

Many thanks again for all your help - in a nutshell it seems as though unless I can get my line worked on and significantly improved, I'm going to be suffering from relatively low speeds.
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 13:38:39
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply. So on the 10th day after installation, I will turn off the modem and back on before resetting. Do I need to reset the hub as well?

To be honest though, it seems as though my poor quality phone line is causing the slow speed. BT are giving the impression that the speed will miraculously improve 3 fold at the end of the 10 day period but I find this hard to believe!

The big question is whether BT will do anything dynamic to improve the line and the amount of work this will involve. Any thoughts on how I can get the line improved would be much appreciated.

Are BT under any obligation to improve the line which basically seems very poor - the fact that the engineer couldn't get a signal from it shows that it must be in poor shape.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Mon 21-May-12 16:12:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by new2fibre:
Many thanks for the reply. So on the 10th day after installation, I will turn off the modem and back on before resetting. Do I need to reset the hub as well?
If the following guide makes things easier for you (considering your previous statement of having minimal technical ability) then please follow it.

(1) Once the nominal "10 day period" is over, power off the hub/router and the (white) modem, in that order. Go to bed, leaving those two devices powered off.
(2) Next morning, power on the (white) modem.
(3) Eat your breakfast.
(4) Power on the hub/router.
(5) Now make use of your broadband connection smile
Are BT under any obligation to improve the line which basically seems very poor - the fact that the engineer couldn't get a signal from it shows that it must be in poor shape.
No, unfortunately. frown There is only a standard specified for the telephony service.

There is, however, nothing to prevent you from terminating the FTTC service -- at no cost to yourself -- if the performance is sub-expectation (advised typical performance) and you have given the provider a chance to correct it.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Mon 21-May-12 16:15:37)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 21-May-12 16:46:57
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
If the following guide makes things easier for you (considering your previous statement of having minimal technical ability) then please follow it.

(1) Once the nominal "10 day period" is over, power off the hub/router and the (white) modem, in that order. Go to bed, leaving those two devices powered off.
(2) Next morning, power on the (white) modem.
(3) Eat your breakfast.
(4) Power on the hub/router.
(5) Now make use of your broadband connection smile

In addition to that, I always suggest disconnecting the phone socket to modem cable, and the Ethernet cables from modem to hub and hub to PCs. When and only when everything is up and fully booted to connect them:

Phone Socket to Modem
Modem to Hub
Hub to PC(s)

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to