User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 16:14:48
Print Post

Fttc Speed

[link to this post]

Hi all i had fiber installed on the 3rd april i have a long line i was told i would get about 13.4 meg download but i only get between 3 and 4 meg when it was first connected it was 12 meg but it has dropped and no one seems to want to know ,any suggestions what i can do .Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 16:17:00
Print Post

Re: Fttc Speed

[re: Annemt] [link to this post]

Do a speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and post the results here.

To show you what we're looking for, my test result comes back with...

Download speed achieved during the test was - 73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.39 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.39 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.43Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 16:19:19)

Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 16:34:26
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

this was one i did on the 17th .
best effort test download speed 3mbps download speed acheived during the test was 3mbps ,for your connection the accepable range of speeds is 2.58-3.68 mbps upstream test 0.61 mbps max achievable speed is 2 mbps
Regards Anne

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:06:14
Print Post

Well the results are missing the IP profile but it's normally the higher figure contained in "the accepable range of speeds is 2.58-3.68 Mbps" (note; it's Mega-bits per seconds (Mbps), not mbps - which would be milli-bits per second - a really tiny figure). So, according to the BT test site, there's nothing wrong (BT don't normally class "to slow...long line" as a fault - unfortunately).

Were you still getting 12Mbps at the end of the 10 day learning period (or whatever made up name BT have for the first 10 days after connection), or had it dropped before the 10 days were up?

If you used to get 12Mbps, and had that at the end of the 10 days, you could try reporting a fault as the fault threshold, for acceptable speed, should be significantly higher than 3.68Mbps (just be aware of BT's habit of charging for visits they diagnose as "no fault found").

I assume you've tried all the usual first-step stuff (rebooting the modem and Home Hub)?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:18:31
Print Post

Hi sorry about the M ,as to your question it was installed on the 3rd of april and speed was 12 meg + on the 6th of april it was 9 and then it just dropped to 4 Meg ,and the connection keeps dropping. an engineer came out and checked the line and said nothing wrong with it he said it should have never been installed ,he said bt would get in touch but they havnt and i was gettiong over 6 Meg on 02 llu so i dont understand why its so bad,when i last spoke to bt they said my complaint had been escalated to the highest level and i would recieve a call back within 24 hours, i am still waiting. i just wanted to know what my options are if any Regards Anne
profile 17a upspeed 1092 downspeed 3834 snr up 64 snr down 45 those are the present line stats regards Anne

Edited by Annemt (Sun 20-May-12 17:26:01)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:28:30
Print Post

I'm not too sure you have many options (other than getting BT to terminate the connection and your contract, allowing you to go back to O2 LLU).

The reasons why your FTTC speed is so much lower than your ADSL2+ speed (you would have been on ADSL2+ with O2) is basically down to cable length.
FTTC uses VDSL2 which degrades, as the line gets longer, at a different (faster) rate to the speed degradation over ADSL products. ADSL is better, than VDSL, over very long lines.
Whilst FTTC (VDSL2) is perfect for those of us on really long lines back to the exchange (as we now only have to get the signal back to the local street cabinet) - I was lucky to get just over 4Mbps using ADSL2+ (after a lot of tweaking), VDSL is quite poor if your line length (back to the local street cabinet) is very long.

Eventually you get to a point where the line to the cabinet is so long, you'd actually be better off trying to squirt an old ADSL signal all the way back to the exchange.
It appears you're beyond this point and the engineer was possibly correct in saying it should never have been installed (although when first connected, you were a bit borderline - possibly the installing engineer thought it worth leaving).

Then again; you could have a line fault (although I'd have thought this would have been the first thing checked by the called out engineer).

Did you have any luck rebooting the modem & home hub (or have you just left them alone since installation)?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 17:29:12)

Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:34:14
Print Post

Hi Rebooted restarted and generally tweaked and messed no joy ,when i last spoke to bt they mentiond fault on line but i have not heard anything from them at all for a couple of weeks Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:44:31
Print Post

Call them back (don't assume they'll remember to attend to your problem, as BT's Indian call centre is useless and computers don't remember to call you back - assuming anybody bothered entering a note to look at your fault in the first place!).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 19:20:27
Print Post

I dont wantto go through the hassle again, last time i called them i was passed to 9 different people Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:10:08
Print Post

You could send a private message to BT_care (on these forums). They're a lot more useful than the script jockeys in India.
BT_care helped me when between them, Openreach, BT Wholesale and BT retail managed to completely mess up my first FTTC installation.
Failing that you could take the road of last resort and e-mail the BT CEO (Ian Livingston) on [email protected] - many have got action only by e-mailing the CEO.
Now it's a sorry state of affairs when e-mailing the CEO is the only way to get routine stuff done by people way down the chain but sooner, or later, Ian Livingston will grasp that his company's support "help" line is next to useless and he'll actually do something about it (assuming he ever gets to see these e-mails and they aren't hoovered off by his PA). Eventually the guy has to get fed up with being bothered by individual customers (my guess is he's got better things to do with his time) and he'll start kicking some butts!

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 21:10:54)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:41:19
Print Post

You might also have a get-out.
This quote from a recent TBB news article...
The Openreach product comes with a satisfaction guarantee too. If within 90 days of the installation of a line, the service service does not achieve 50% of the predicted speed at the time of sale, then refunds of the connection fee, rental and cease charges will be made to the broadband provider, if the service is ceased.

If you were advised 13.4Mbps AND this guarantee also applies to 40/20 products (which I assume it will), you could get out of your contract, have your connection fee, rental and cease charges refunded.
This will allow you to go back to O2 or BE, or Sky (either should get you back your old ADSL2+ speeds).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 23:44:57
Print Post

Hi thank you for your help i do think i can get out of the contract ,i would keep it if bt would reduce the charges for the product, failing that because i cannot get a satisfactory answer from bt i was thinking of taking the matter to the small claims court and asking for compensation, nothing ventured nothing gained because bt india is like banging your head against a brick wall i cant leave it so i think i might email mr livingson if you have his address .Regards Anne .sorry i saw you have given his email in previous post Anne

Edited by Annemt (Sun 20-May-12 23:49:12)

Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 10:36:02
Print Post

Hi Anne, I am in a similar situation as I recently had fibre installed with an expected speed of 10 MB but ever since the installation it's been stuck at 3 MB. Apparently I'm 1.2 miles from the cabinet even though there is a cabinet only 0.6 mile away. I'm not an IT expert so I don't know if it's possible to tweak the line or if the distance is ultimately preventing a higher speed.

It is really frustrating as I moved to BT Fibre in order to get a much faster connection for working from home. I am sure that someone from BT will contact you on here so that they can investigate. A forum member from BT contacted me last week and I completed the contact forum late on Friday afternoon so I am hoping to hear back from them. If all else fails though, it seems as though you should be able to cancel if the speed is under 50%. I think if the service is only a certain percentage of the expected speed, the monthly cost should reflect this percentage. I received the first bill for the service a couple of days after installation - if the broadband service was as fast as the invoice issuing I'd be very happy! I don't intend to pay the first bill until the speed improves though!

Edited by new2fibre (Mon 21-May-12 10:40:32)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-May-12 12:12:23
Print Post

Email the CEO now please, stop feeling sorry for your self and be a little pro-active.

Do this and you will get the result you want, moaning on here will get you nowhere.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Mon 21-May-12 19:57:20
Print Post

Hi Anne,

I would like to take a look at your connection for you. Please could you send me in your details using http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Cheers

Paddy
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-May-12 20:12:25
Print Post

[email protected]

I'd give BT_Care chance (as they've picked up your plight in this post) to look at this first (although if the line is too long for Infinity the only help they may be able to offer is to get you out of your contract and to have Infinity removed from the line, so you can go back to ADSL2+).

Note; if your exchange is suitable, BT may be able to offer you an ADSL2+ product.
It won't be as good as O2's product (mainly because of the stupid way BT manages lines and IP profiles - they call it "DLM", I call it something totally different wink).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 21-May-12 20:44:01
Print Post

Could you post your proper line stats please.

Those look like attenuation figures, not SNR.

Your line when connected will connect at the maximum speed it is capable of, so on install day will be the highest speed (12mb). DLM will reduce it if it sees instability, i.e. a lot of errors or disconnects. Rebooting your modem counts as a disconnection.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-May-12 21:10:24
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Could you post your proper line stats please.

Those look like attenuation figures, not SNR.

Only available by hacking the Openreach modem (and I wouldn't recommend that if the customer is in the middle of trying to get out of contract, due to speeds being so much lower than estimated)

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 21-May-12 21:12:05
Print Post

Attenuation figures aren't available without a hacked or alternative modem either, so the OP's presumably has access to one or the other...
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 00:33:36
Print Post

[re: new2fibre] [link to this post]

Hello i sympathise with you, the thing that annoys me the most is the lack of communication , i say broadband not fast enough i get calls asking me if its improved any as if magically it will fix itself, trying to explain anything technical is a nightmare, if i knew then what i know now i would not have touched bt with a 10ft bargepole but i dont hold out much hope for you or i to get any better speeds but i do think bt should be held to account, got an appointment with litigation solicitor next week i wll see what she has to say.Regards Anne
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 23:21:41
Print Post

hi can anybody decipher these line stats
http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r542/annemt1/
i would be very gratefull for any info you can give me
Thanks Anne
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Mon 11-Jun-12 01:13:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Annemt:
http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r542/annemt1/
i would be very gratefull for any info you can give me
Thanks Anne

According to that your line should be perfectly capable of getting 10-12Mbps.

Why its connecting at only 3.4Mbps is very odd. The attenuation is low enough for 10+. Something is defiantly a miss. The target SNR must be set really high ? No idea. But i would say its defiantly a "fault" so to speak, and not just "your line is too long deal with it" type of situation.

Keep pestering until you get them to fix it for you.

In fact the modem its self is saying that it should be able to connect at a speed of 11.89Mbps. So why isn't it ?

Did you mess about with the modem a lot after it was installed. Turning it on and off and pulling the line out forcing it to re-sync many times ? This will make the cab think that you have a fault and lower your connection speed to attempt to compensate.

_ _ _ _ _
Stage one: Signed up for pipex 1pm May 31st
Stage two: Received Email verification with order number 6 pm May 31st
Stage three: Sent old 56k modem off to pipex by special delivery June 1st 10:30 am
Stage four Received Email Telling me login details have been sent 1st class, and activation within 10 working days prior to firther line tests smile 13:30 Thur 6th June
Stage Five ACTIVATED june 11th 6 days early !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DrDeath (Mon 11-Jun-12 01:18:41)

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-12 07:14:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Annemt:

That command doesn't actually display attenuation.
You would need xdslcmd info --pbParams to see that.
It may be helpful if you posted those details for us to have a look at.

Your SNR values suggest a higher downstream speed could be achieved, but not much more upstream.

Unusually, your upstream Interleaving is ON (at a low level) & Downstream is OFF.
It is usually the other way round.

If your stats have always looked like this, it could suggest you are a long way from the cabinet, or you have a physical repairable problem somewhere.

Any idea of distance from the cabinet that you are actually connected to?

Does the modem resync regularly of its own accord?
This again would suggest physical problems.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Mon 11-Jun-12 10:07:40
Print Post

Sorry to hear of your problem Anne, but sit down, have a cup of tea and listen to the posters here. Many of us have been on this road and this is the best site I know for finding solutions.

You're wasting time and money on a solicitor, and the small claims court may give you short shrift. You MUST follow the complaints procedure laid down in the ISP conditions. That means a complaint setting out your problem in factual terms, with dates of phone calls etc. Send it recorded delivery to the address in the conditions, or to the head office.

It may take eight weeks to grind through the procedures, and only then will the watchdog take up the complaint on your behalf: see http://www.cisas.org.uk/ also see http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/help/successful-br...
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 10:57:28
Print Post

[re: DrDeath] [link to this post]

Hi no i didnt touch the modem untill the speed dropped like a stone .my line runs through some trees and the trees are growing through the drop wire . who do i pester to get it fixed? because i have tried every which way but loose Thanks again Anne
Standard User Cottee55
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 15:09:00
Print Post

I have the same issue as you but its with the upload speed on mine, I have tried everything I have even emailed the CEO but I have still not got any help. Basically because the computer tells them my lines not capable of any more they won't do anything. Even though I have had two engineers visits and both say my upload is capped but they can't do anything, so if you find away to resolve your issue please let us know as I have given up.
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 17-Jun-12 22:05:44
Print Post

[re: Cottee55] [link to this post]

Hi all Just an update ,BT called me today and arranged an engineer for tomorrow fingers crossed Anne
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-12 21:17:54
Print Post

Hi all sorry not updated ,BT engineer came and said speed was in the poles changed some cabel and said speed should improve but it hasnt. so i dont know what else i can do (well i do but it will cost me a lot of money) Regards Anne
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 22:06:24
Print Post

Did he phone through to control for a line reset?

It is likely that a "banded profile" had been applied automatically by the DLM system, because of huge numbers of errors. As well as fixing the cable fault, he needed to phone to get that banding removed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-12 23:52:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi he said he did when i rang him the next day, he said the speed was showing in the overhead line so it is there but not in my house ?so where is it going perhaps a crafty squirrel has got his own little Fttc connection in the trees..lol
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Thu 12-Jul-12 09:29:11
Print Post

It can take a time for the reset request to percolate through the system; and then a bit more time for it to dawn on the DLM system and your equipment that the reset has happened. I had an engineer visit for a perfectly good line after profile issues (as have many other people, what a waste or resources) and it took quite a time before the effect finally manifested itself on my speeds. (Engineer visit, 2nd July 11:30, improvement first seen early morning 4th July). I think it sometimes needs a router reboot (or disconnect/connect) for the change to get properly noticed.

Maybe you'll wake up tomorrow to find faster broadband and a dead squirrel lying on the ground under your tree.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Tue 14-Aug-12 20:23:24
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Hi All Its fixed Anne
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Aug-12 21:18:01
Print Post

Took it's time.

But all's well that ends well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Tue 14-Aug-12 22:32:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

you dont know the half of it openreach bt wholesale and a lot of hard work and money spent but my speed is now excellent .Regards Anne but if it wasnt for this foum i would have given up

Edited by Annemt (Tue 14-Aug-12 23:43:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to