User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Mon 28-May-12 22:09:08
Print Post

Is support for BT Infinity UK based or foreign ?

[link to this post]

I got cold called tonight by BT, the guy said that fibre was now available in my area , presumably by FTTC. I told him id heard good things about the speed which can be obtained , but id never ever ever ever ever sign a contract for internet where the support was foreign based instead of uk based. I told him id been with idnet in the past whose support is uk based , but the quality of the support went rapidly down the pan and ive been with O2 LLU ever since and whose support is uk based and i couldnt fault it. BT guy told me infinity support was based in newcastle and doncaster and not overseas. I said to him id need to see that in black and white and as part of official BT information. He said that he couldnt do that and the phonecall was recorded so he couldnt lie to me..............alarm bells were ringing in my head.

Im asking you guys who have signed up for infinity, if a problem arises , is the BT support now 100% UK based or is it overseas ?

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-May-12 22:16:05
Print Post

Re: Is support for BT Infinity UK based or foreign ?

[re: bilbo8] [link to this post]

When I phone support, I speak to India. And very good they are too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Mon 28-May-12 22:19:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

If its outside the uk I am not interested. Thanks for the reply mate.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 28-May-12 23:41:53
Print Post

Residential is primarily in India, but there are now apparently some in the UK.

Business is totally UK based - mainly in Scotland and is a full 24 hour service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Moradin
(member) Tue 29-May-12 15:39:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The business line support is uk based i believe..

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ste211270
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 15:50:52
Print Post

ya right
Standard User orly
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-12 21:38:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by bilbo8:
I got cold called tonight by BT, the guy said that fibre was now available in my area , presumably by FTTC. I told him id heard good things about the speed which can be obtained , but id never ever ever ever ever sign a contract for internet where the support was foreign based instead of uk based. I told him id been with idnet in the past whose support is uk based , but the quality of the support went rapidly down the pan and ive been with O2 LLU ever since and whose support is uk based and i couldnt fault it. BT guy told me infinity support was based in newcastle and doncaster and not overseas. I said to him id need to see that in black and white and as part of official BT information. He said that he couldnt do that and the phonecall was recorded so he couldnt lie to me..............alarm bells were ringing in my head.

Im asking you guys who have signed up for infinity, if a problem arises , is the BT support now 100% UK based or is it overseas ?

Its in Mumbai, Berkshire.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-May-12 00:40:47
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:

NO it is not.

As I have already said, and you have ignored, residential is overseas but business is UK based.

M H C

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 30-May-12 02:37:16
Print Post

I've had plenty of ignorant condescending uk support calls
UK call staff seem to not understand the concept of 'the customer is always right.'

I've never had a foreign call where I've felt the call staff actually don't give a monkeys. They do their best.

It's not what country I speak too. Ultimately it's the level of service that I care about.
I had the rudest call to apple with UK call staff the other day.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Wed 30-May-12 10:42:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

It's not what country I speak too. Ultimately it's the level of service that I care about.
Absolutely. We (BE) get excellent service from Bulgaria. There can be an issue with foreign calls when the English is difficult to understand, I've never had that in my (rare) calls to BE. That said, I have had difficulty with some in the UK (despite having lived near Newcastle and Glasgow in the past).

I think the main complaint with BT Indian service is [1] that they are script driven and don't know too much outside the script, and [2] they are sometimes very difficult to understand.

I'm still pondering whether to move from BE to Infinity, the main downside of moving being concern with what people say about BT service.

Happy BE user for several years
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-12 11:38:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by orly:

NO it is not.

As I have already said, and you have ignored, residential is overseas but business is UK based.

Did you even read the response or do you really think that Mumbai is in Berkshire. If so, remind me never to get in your taxi !!! smile

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-May-12 12:21:58
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

I interpreted that on the basis that some of the customer support operators, whilst based in India, choose to have "English" names and try to give the impression they are in the UK.

M H C

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-12 12:41:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
I interpreted that on the basis that some of the customer support operators, whilst based in India, choose to have "English" names and try to give the impression they are in the UK.

Good point, very good point and the one thing that annoys me above everything else. Even my own company's internal helpline is based in India and they do it too.

Nothing worse than ringing them (have to be right at the bottom of the barrel though first), or them ringing you, and the first thing you hear, in a clear Indian accent is "Hello, my name is Tim" or "Hello, my name is Fiona"

It's like a red rag to a bull to me smile

My most recent encounter, I managed to set up the "wrong" type of account. Rang the Helpline

Them: Hello, my name is Fiona, how can I help you
Me: I have a problem with my xxxxx account
Them: what is your id file called
Me: I don't have one, that is the problem I have
Them: Ok, one minute, papers rustling, then silence, then
Them: what is your id file called !!!!!!

Clearly we couldn't progress to Q2 until they had the expected answer to Q1

I politely hung up and deleted the account frown

Standard User Brugie
(learned) Wed 30-May-12 13:41:50
Print Post

I have to agree with this
On the one time my speed went from 70Mbps to 50Mbps for 2 days, I spoke to a lady in India whom was very helpfull.
Went through some tests and then decideded the line had degraded and would get Openreach to sort it in a couple of days.
In 2 days the line was indeed sorted and I even got a call from BT in the UK to check everything was running ok now.
So no problem as far as I am concerned
Standard User hareng
(regular) Wed 30-May-12 15:50:05
Print Post

I did speak to presumably Doncaster when vigorously intending to cancel.
Stated reasons why like your own and reached stalemate, she then gave me a UK Call Centre number not listed. Also stated you can request a call back from a UK service centre when speaking with India.
Few weeks passed, i rang that number and it turns out to be a global number. They go to any lengths just to collar you then retain you.
Since passed 12 mid day the day before connection i would have had to cough up 18 months line rental, phone and Infinity 2, over £800.

Four days in to migration tried the Indian support, believe it or not i didnt have to go through the regime of unplugging and making sure everything connected etc. Will see if he was true to his word in 2 days.

Pretty much same as me youve been lied to Bil, there is UK support but whether you actually get to speak to them is highly remote. All the numbers are global initially may connect to UK then upon selecting options inevitably end up foreign India or SA. Just request a call back from UK support.
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Thu 31-May-12 22:33:31
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I had been with BT before and the customer support was absolutely shocking. It was obviously indian based and I couldnt understand a word they were saying , nor could they understand me.What really annoys me is that the guy who cold called me was lying. By ringing me at home its obvious I am not a prospective business customer and that if I agreed to a contract then it would be residential ....and that means indian based support. I expect those type of lies and untruths from unscrupulous companies out there, but Im surprised to see BT doing the same thing to be honest.

Edited by bilbo8 (Thu 31-May-12 22:41:16)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 31-May-12 22:50:32
Print Post

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

I just write straight into head office. Usually gets things sorted.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Thu 31-May-12 22:55:48
Print Post

It may be that BT used some third party to drum up custom on its behalf, and that the third party was not as scrupulous as they should have been. BT should still be responsible in such a situation, but ....

Very much the the same happens with government (central and regional) departments contracting things out and pretending they are not responsible for the results.

Happy BE user for several years
Standard User orly
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:34:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
UK call staff seem to not understand the concept of 'the customer is always right.'

Because the concept is complete nonsense.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 19:28:36
Print Post

Cold Call BT guy phoned me back today

Well I never, Cold Call BT guy actually rang me back on the day he said he would !! I told him id looked into infinity and that business users had the luxury of uk support , whereas residential users were stuck with indian call centers. He was adamant that residentials had UK support , I said every web source contradicted him and that if he thought I would sign up that he was wasting his time. I wouldnt touch any company whose support was indian / south african with a 50 foot pole and background research underlines that this is the right attitude to adopt. O2 LLU are top notch and if it aint broke.............................................

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Jun-12 22:23:41
Print Post

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hareng:
Since passed 12 mid day the day before connection i would have had to cough up 18 months line rental, phone and Infinity 2, over £800.

Four days in to migration tried the Indian support, believe it or not i didnt have to go through the regime of unplugging and making sure everything connected etc. Will see if he was true to his word in 2 days.
http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/06/17/cheaper-charges...

I think something similar also applies to the broadband side of it. I'm on Plusnet Fibre but not phone at £16.49pm for 18 months, and was told, (after signng up but during the same phone call), that I could cancel at any time and the cost would be £4 per outstanding month.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Moradin
(member) Wed 06-Jun-12 13:58:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This conversation, is a bit like an earlier thread, where i stated that UK call support is what people want, and would be willing to pay for it.

OPTION 1 - BT infinty option 2, unlimited usage, inc calls n stuff. Indian Support £22.50

OPTION 2: - BT Infinity option 2, unlimited usage, incalls n stuff. UK Support £25.50.

I know a lot of people that would pay the extra for (2)......

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Wed 06-Jun-12 13:59:40)

Standard User orly
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:38:43
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

On BT you can go for the business version for £36 (inc VAT) for that sort of thing. Nearly certain its UK based support for that with faster fault resolution criteria.

Up to you if you want to pay that. It's still cheaper than many other providers.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User loadbang
(regular) Tue 10-Jul-12 10:55:16
Print Post

My support contact is Donna or Rodney, both from Northern Ireland.

Usually contact direct by e-mail, skype or phone.

I'm a standard residential customer.

[email protected], they usually phone you within 10 minutes of sending your email. Also @btcare on twitter.

Edited by loadbang (Tue 10-Jul-12 10:58:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 12:38:17
Print Post

[re: loadbang] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by loadbang:
My support contact is Donna or Rodney, both from Northern Ireland.
Do you live in NI?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Tue 10-Jul-12 20:36:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Some of the @BTCare Support is based in Northern Ireland.
Standard User menawollas
(newbie) Thu 12-Jul-12 12:37:05
Print Post

I have very very rarely phoned any of my ISPs for support, so when I had a very weird problem with BT Infinity the other night, I held little hope of getting a quick resolution. The issue was that I coudln't connect to www.betfair.com - at some time in the evening I just got borked.

All other sites where OK, so when I phoned, and got through to a very polite indian woman, who sounded like she was going from a script, I must admit, I thought I was in for an unproductive time.

However, she was very uncondescding when I said that yes I had turned everything off and on again. She had to talk to her supervisor to see if she was allowed to access Betfair from her computer, but when she did, and it wasn't a siet problem, she was straight onto checkiing the firewall on the home hub, which turned out to be the issue.

Very happy with the service, and would happily phone again.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to