User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-12 14:02:12
Print Post

New speed = new contract!

[link to this post]

I've been offered an upgrade to 70Mbps+. I get great speeds at the moment via Ethernet (usually 37Mbps) and am wondering if it's worth agreeing to a new contract. What would swing the decision would be a possible improvement in wireless speed (I rarely get 10Mbps if I'm lucky a room away from the SHub). Does a 70Mbps connection imply maybe 30Mbps over wireless, or doesn't it work like thT
at?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-12 14:15:52
Print Post

Re: New speed = new contract!

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

doesn't work like thT
at?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 14:35:41
Print Post

Wireless is wireless, BB is BB and rarely do the twain meet!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-12 16:44:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Dell Mini keyboard + Olympics on in the background = typos. Please read 'like that'.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 05-Aug-12 17:04:41
Print Post

Re: New speed = new contract! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Daniel_g
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 05-Aug-12 17:19:38
Print Post

Re: New speed = new contract! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Daniel_g
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 20:21:03
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

I'd wish you'd speak English! Never can make head or tail of your posts.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 05-Aug-12 20:25:43
Print Post

Job done, dont want to confuse people after writing in a little know african lanuage I picked up.

Only saying, check the wifi card standard and then what to do.
Just a suggestion.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 21:01:11
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Exactly! Switching from G adapter to N one has nowt to do with upgrading VADSL standard, the OP's original Q.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 05-Aug-12 21:48:44
Print Post

VADSL? VDSL2 shurely. If you upgrade to Infinity2 and have a short enough line to get 76Mbps download, then you will get that wired or wireless. But you will need wireless-n to get it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 23:26:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ever heard of the word "generic"?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 06-Aug-12 00:06:42
Print Post

Irrelevant complication as VDSL2 is used for Infinity1 and Infinity2.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Mon 06-Aug-12 08:20:27
Print Post

I made a good point that BatBoy has also mentioned.

Just if people wander why I took the posts off, got put down as usual while making a point to the problem and had this and sorted out here so was suggesting the same if that was it.

still wrote privately to you as I think might be onto a winner as it was for me.

As I did not write in english, took them off as must have beebn poinltless posting them.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Mon 06-Aug-12 23:12:08
Print Post

I get excellent speeds using TP-LInk 200 mbps homeplugs.

I get 55 megs from a 58 meg IPProfile.

Remember that the Home Hub 3 will set the speed of the wireless to the lowest speed device you have connected. So, if you have a naff old laptop with a wirelss g interface, then your super duper laptop with wireless n will still get wireless g speeds - ie a tad under 30 megs max. If you are all wireless n, then you may get the full speed your line can deliver ... but the caveat is that there are a number of variables which mean your speeds can be much lower than you expect.

What does the BT speed checker say your line is cabable of??? If it estimates only a little over 40 megs, then it's probably not worth doing if you are already getting close to that. If it reckons you can get 60 megs or more, then go for it ... but note above.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 02:09:10
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
Remember that the Home Hub 3 will set the speed of the wireless to the lowest speed device you have connected. So, if you have a naff old laptop with a wirelss g interface, then your super duper laptop with wireless n will still get wireless g speeds - ie a tad under 30 megs max. If you are all wireless n, then you may get the full speed your line can deliver ... but the caveat is that there are a number of variables which mean your speeds can be much lower than you expect.

Not sure about the homehub but this is a wide misconception nowadays. The original N routers and quite a few draft N routers would slowdown to the lowest common denominator.

Nowadays most N routers can handle simultaneous G and N connections without slowing the N band down, provided WPA2-PSK AES encryption is used by all.
That said if a wireless B device is introduced onto the network then everything slows down terribly as virtually no router can handle B and N.

G and N generally ok. B and N not ok.

With the default Sky router I have a mix of all devices.

ON G: sky wireless connector, 2 laptops, 1 wifi printer and a games console, possibly the blackberrys

On N: Few macbooks, iphones and a new pc.

The N devices still get around 75Mbps throughput when I test next to the Sky router. As I say things have definitely changed in this respect. ALTHOUGH some routers STILL cannot support N and G as you say.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Aug-12 08:22:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and signed up for the new contract - upgrade took less than 24 hours and I'm now getting 71Mbps on average over the wire. The same computer (with integrated N card) reports 22Mbps when I unplug the cable and switch on wireless - it's about a metre away from the Hub3. Wireless via a Belkin N dongle in the next room is 15Mbps or thereabouts on an older laptop. I see that I can get a newer dongle from BT for £12.50. Any recommendations? I'd use it on a Dell Mini10 netbook, which doesn't have a CD drive so I need a dongle that doesn't use an installation disc.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Aug-12 09:06:00
Print Post

What OS does the laptop have?

22Mbps isn't too shabby - what's the "N" connection speed on that PC? Quite possibly 75Mbps or less.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to