User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:37:05
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Joining

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Sorry, I gave a link to the Business router because I thought the mention of VPN and VOIP indicated a business connection. The HH3 is very similar on the residential Infinity service but is provided free. Unfortunately, that's all it's worth.

I quickly hacked my modem and I use that as a combined modem/router. I binned the HH3.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:39:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I do work from home and VPN & VoIP are needed.
But I pay for my own DSL so want to keep the costs down.

I'm currently on a BE residential service, so a BT one should be fine wink

Peter
The Aldi - Medion Support Forum

BE Unlimited - Thomson 585v7 Router
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:46:06
Print Post

I VPN in and out all the time with no problems, VOIP is fine too. After coming from BE I couldn't go for anything other than an unlimited connection either.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Sep-12 21:32:30
Print Post

Sky have 80/20, just for some reason it isn't on their website. Quite a few posters here have it.

Ring them and ask, if interested. I've no idea of the pricing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrPete:
Sky seem to limit at 40MB, BT are offering 63MB so they seem the favourite at the moment.

Sky have their "Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro" service which is upto 80 Megabit and would give the same estimate as BT. Its £30/month rather than the £20 for the upto 40 service.

With Sky however you are under terms to use their router, and they make it harder to swap but many people have done so. Draytek and Billion have beta firmwares to work as replacements for the Sky one. (Plugged into the Openreach modem).

I tried to get Sky Pro but they got a rejection from Openreach, so my fallback was Infinity. Given you have to take Sky phone with Sky's broadband products (or BT phone with BT Infinity) the total price is very similar.

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:42:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sorry, I gave a link to the Business router because I thought the mention of VPN and VOIP indicated a business connection. The HH3 is very similar on the residential Infinity service but is provided free. Unfortunately, that's all it's worth.

TBH its a lot better than the junk TalkTalk give out smile

I quickly hacked my modem and I use that as a combined modem/router. I binned the HH3.

That doesn't give you wireless, but its a neat trick to save a bit of power.

The Draytek gives me the features I like such as DDNS, inbound VPN with multiple profiles, clever firewalling, and all the clever internal LAN features that I'm used to (e.g. multiple SSIDs etc). But its more than most people would use.

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:43:05
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
Remember that you do not have to go with BT retail to get FTTC.

There are other providers who will certainly give you a router which will have the complete freedom to do whatever you want.

And may give a better service, just a shame it is still BT Equipment with their naff profiling system

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:45:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
And may give a better service, just a shame it is still BT Equipment with their naff profiling system

And as you've been told many times, its Openreach driven DLM rather than the ancient stuff we all fled from to the LLU providers. RobertoS pages explain more - but to me so far its all good!

Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 23:39:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I had a chat session earlier with Sky.
No mention of 80/20. When I asked if 40 was there fastest service.. they claimed it was.

Must admit for the money BT seems a good option.
Just need to get my MAC

Peter
The Aldi - Medion Support Forum

BE Unlimited - Thomson 585v7 Router
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 23:58:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
There are other providers who will certainly give you a router which will have the complete freedom to do whatever you want.
The profiling system does have some disadvantages, but once it has settled down it can provide a very stable connection which can stay connected for week after week.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to