User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Sep-12 00:21:49
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Joining

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Someone posted a few weeks ago you may need to phone Sky 2-3 times before you get someone with a clue. It may even have been the person you just replied to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:38:05
Print Post

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

The chat people are mostly involved with TV sadly.

Call 0844 241 0104 and that will get you to the fibre team, and ask for Fibre Pro by name and then they will tell you the estimated speed for your line.

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:38:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Someone posted a few weeks ago you may need to phone Sky 2-3 times before you get someone with a clue. It may even have been the person you just replied to.

Wasn't me smile

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:43:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
And may give a better service, just a shame it is still BT Equipment with their naff profiling system

And as you've been told many times, its Openreach driven DLM rather than the ancient stuff we all fled from to the LLU providers. RobertoS pages explain more - but to me so far its all good!

Maybe it is different, but after having so many problems with Bt profiling with ADSL, it makes me feel like I can't trust Bt to get it right with FTTC.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:45:02
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
The profiling system does have some disadvantages, but once it has settled down it can provide a very stable connection which can stay connected for week after week.

Um, I think I will wait for a couple of years or so and see how the ser5vice works before I think about bothering with it.
TBH, the further I can stay away from Bt the better I like it.

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 17:56:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Maybe it is different, but after having so many problems with Bt profiling with ADSL, it makes me feel like I can't trust Bt to get it right with FTTC.

Likewise I was 4 years with BE, and 3 years with Bulldog before that - both LLU and no profiling.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 21:39:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Likewise I was 4 years with BE, and 3 years with Bulldog before that - both LLU and no profiling.

It was the lack of profiling or any line management that allowed me to get a ok speed with ADSL24 on the cable and wireless network.

Bt profiling was awful and on their ADSL2+ service, it was worse, Makes me wonder how they put a FTTc network together to be honest.

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 22:21:33
Print Post

Bt profiling was awful and on their ADSL2+ service, it was worse, Makes me wonder how they put a FTTc network together to be honest.

Because despite the logo, Openreach are very different to the people who were running that ADSL/ADSL2+ service, and Openreach are running the DLM on FTTC.

James - BT Infinity 2 - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Sep-12 22:47:08
Print Post

That WBC DLM/Profiling has been completely replaced, for ADSLx as well as FTTC. The new one is great, with automatic lowering of noise margins to 3dB on good lines, and instantaneous profile changes to 88.2% of the new sync.

Please don't go like some of the permanent complainers. Your complaint was valid at the time, but as advice for new joiners is just completely irrelevant and confuses the issue.

You took a heck of a lot of convincing to go to LLU! I for one, and there were several others, put in a huge amount of effort to give you the courage to do it. IIRC it took us a year or so!

We are trying to help people decide on the currently available products. Your valid criticism of older products is not helpful to the people we are trying to help - in the same way as we helped you to do the right thing. Do you think we would we now try to convince someone else to do the opposite unless something had radically changed?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 10:48:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The profile semi-automatically follows the sync speed. Sometimes requires a disconnect/reconnect of the router to force a profile change.

However, DLM is there at the cabinet to control the sync speed. It is very keen to reduce speed at any sign of instability, and is very slow to increase it again (often a couple of weeks). Also, DLM is super-keen on stability, with no user option for an Infinity user to control the speed/latency/stability tradeoff.

You will have the same Openreach DLM regardless of which FTTC retail supplier you use.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to