User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 09:09:18
Print Post

Thinking of Joining

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of joining as I can get around 63MB, 20MB Up.

How is fibre delivered to the house ?

My main BT socket is by the front door, Ideally I'd like the router etc at the back of the house in my office. Will they do that ?

Should I stick with the router they provide or can I use my own ? If you can use your own any you would recommend ?
I will need certain ports opening for my office VPN and VoIP can that be done on their router ?

Anything else I need to be aware of ?
Thanks smile

Peter
The Aldi - Medion Support Forum

BE Unlimited - Thomson 585v7 Router
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-12 09:45:42
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Joining

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Normal infinity is Fttc, fibre to the cabinet. The wires into your house are unchanged. You can ask for a data extension so the modem and router a placed away from the master. Free up to a certain distance, make sure you register it with your order.

I suggest you try the supplied router and see how it goes. Many find it adequate, many others don't.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 11:48:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrPete:
Should I stick with the router they provide or can I use my own ? If you can use your own any you would recommend ?
I will need certain ports opening for my office VPN and VoIP can that be done on their router ?

Its no worse than the BE 585v7 to be honest. I quickly swapped it for my own Draytek but you can use any router with PPPoE support.

However watch that many can't keep up with the speeds! My Draytek 2820 is only reported to do 50meg, but my speeds max at 51 so I'm just on the limit. smile

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 13:07:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Does the default router allow you to open ports etc ?
Anyone got a manual for it, would't mind a quick look !

Peter

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 18:28:24
Print Post

Remember that you do not have to go with BT retail to get FTTC.

There are other providers who will certainly give you a router which will have the complete freedom to do whatever you want.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 18:48:43
Print Post

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/busine...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Sep-12 19:08:39
Print Post

How is fibre delivered to the house ?
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/fttx.html

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 19:43:56
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Thanks.
BT seem to be the only ones offering unlimited downloads for a reasonable price.
Unless you can point me to another provider smile

Peter

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:01:41
Print Post

You need over 250GB in peak with unlimited night-time?

BT can and I believe do throttle P2P when things get busy.

Or Sky?

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:30:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Problem I have is I don't know how much bandwidth we are currently using. Current provider is unlimited.

There are 5 of use in the house ( inc 3 teenagers ) so the internet gets some hammer.

P2P isn't an issue for me, but speed and download capacity is.
Sky seem to limit at 40MB, BT are offering 63MB so they seem the favourite at the moment.

Peter

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:37:05
Print Post

Sorry, I gave a link to the Business router because I thought the mention of VPN and VOIP indicated a business connection. The HH3 is very similar on the residential Infinity service but is provided free. Unfortunately, that's all it's worth.

I quickly hacked my modem and I use that as a combined modem/router. I binned the HH3.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:39:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I do work from home and VPN & VoIP are needed.
But I pay for my own DSL so want to keep the costs down.

I'm currently on a BE residential service, so a BT one should be fine wink

Peter

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 20:46:06
Print Post

I VPN in and out all the time with no problems, VOIP is fine too. After coming from BE I couldn't go for anything other than an unlimited connection either.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Sep-12 21:32:30
Print Post

Sky have 80/20, just for some reason it isn't on their website. Quite a few posters here have it.

Ring them and ask, if interested. I've no idea of the pricing.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:40:17
Print Post

Sky seem to limit at 40MB, BT are offering 63MB so they seem the favourite at the moment.

Sky have their "Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro" service which is upto 80 Megabit and would give the same estimate as BT. Its £30/month rather than the £20 for the upto 40 service.

With Sky however you are under terms to use their router, and they make it harder to swap but many people have done so. Draytek and Billion have beta firmwares to work as replacements for the Sky one. (Plugged into the Openreach modem).

I tried to get Sky Pro but they got a rejection from Openreach, so my fallback was Infinity. Given you have to take Sky phone with Sky's broadband products (or BT phone with BT Infinity) the total price is very similar.

James - BT Infinity - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:42:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sorry, I gave a link to the Business router because I thought the mention of VPN and VOIP indicated a business connection. The HH3 is very similar on the residential Infinity service but is provided free. Unfortunately, that's all it's worth.

TBH its a lot better than the junk TalkTalk give out smile

I quickly hacked my modem and I use that as a combined modem/router. I binned the HH3.

That doesn't give you wireless, but its a neat trick to save a bit of power.

The Draytek gives me the features I like such as DDNS, inbound VPN with multiple profiles, clever firewalling, and all the clever internal LAN features that I'm used to (e.g. multiple SSIDs etc). But its more than most people would use.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:43:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
Remember that you do not have to go with BT retail to get FTTC.

There are other providers who will certainly give you a router which will have the complete freedom to do whatever you want.

And may give a better service, just a shame it is still BT Equipment with their naff profiling system

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:45:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
And may give a better service, just a shame it is still BT Equipment with their naff profiling system

And as you've been told many times, its Openreach driven DLM rather than the ancient stuff we all fled from to the LLU providers. RobertoS pages explain more - but to me so far its all good!

Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 23:39:59
Print Post

I had a chat session earlier with Sky.
No mention of 80/20. When I asked if 40 was there fastest service.. they claimed it was.

Must admit for the money BT seems a good option.
Just need to get my MAC

Peter

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 23:58:22
Print Post

The profiling system does have some disadvantages, but once it has settled down it can provide a very stable connection which can stay connected for week after week.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Sep-12 00:21:49
Print Post

Someone posted a few weeks ago you may need to phone Sky 2-3 times before you get someone with a clue. It may even have been the person you just replied to.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:38:05
Print Post

The chat people are mostly involved with TV sadly.

Call 0844 241 0104 and that will get you to the fibre team, and ask for Fibre Pro by name and then they will tell you the estimated speed for your line.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:38:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Someone posted a few weeks ago you may need to phone Sky 2-3 times before you get someone with a clue. It may even have been the person you just replied to.

Wasn't me smile

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:43:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

And as you've been told many times, its Openreach driven DLM rather than the ancient stuff we all fled from to the LLU providers. RobertoS pages explain more - but to me so far its all good!

Maybe it is different, but after having so many problems with Bt profiling with ADSL, it makes me feel like I can't trust Bt to get it right with FTTC.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 08:45:02
Print Post

The profiling system does have some disadvantages, but once it has settled down it can provide a very stable connection which can stay connected for week after week.

Um, I think I will wait for a couple of years or so and see how the ser5vice works before I think about bothering with it.
TBH, the further I can stay away from Bt the better I like it.

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 17:56:58
Print Post

Maybe it is different, but after having so many problems with Bt profiling with ADSL, it makes me feel like I can't trust Bt to get it right with FTTC.

Likewise I was 4 years with BE, and 3 years with Bulldog before that - both LLU and no profiling.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Sep-12 21:39:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Likewise I was 4 years with BE, and 3 years with Bulldog before that - both LLU and no profiling.

It was the lack of profiling or any line management that allowed me to get a ok speed with ADSL24 on the cable and wireless network.

Bt profiling was awful and on their ADSL2+ service, it was worse, Makes me wonder how they put a FTTc network together to be honest.

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 22:21:33
Print Post

Bt profiling was awful and on their ADSL2+ service, it was worse, Makes me wonder how they put a FTTc network together to be honest.

Because despite the logo, Openreach are very different to the people who were running that ADSL/ADSL2+ service, and Openreach are running the DLM on FTTC.

James - BT Infinity 2 - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Sep-12 22:47:08
Print Post

That WBC DLM/Profiling has been completely replaced, for ADSLx as well as FTTC. The new one is great, with automatic lowering of noise margins to 3dB on good lines, and instantaneous profile changes to 88.2% of the new sync.

Please don't go like some of the permanent complainers. Your complaint was valid at the time, but as advice for new joiners is just completely irrelevant and confuses the issue.

You took a heck of a lot of convincing to go to LLU! I for one, and there were several others, put in a huge amount of effort to give you the courage to do it. IIRC it took us a year or so!

We are trying to help people decide on the currently available products. Your valid criticism of older products is not helpful to the people we are trying to help - in the same way as we helped you to do the right thing. Do you think we would we now try to convince someone else to do the opposite unless something had radically changed?

(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 10:48:59
Print Post

The profile semi-automatically follows the sync speed. Sometimes requires a disconnect/reconnect of the router to force a profile change.

However, DLM is there at the cabinet to control the sync speed. It is very keen to reduce speed at any sign of instability, and is very slow to increase it again (often a couple of weeks). Also, DLM is super-keen on stability, with no user option for an Infinity user to control the speed/latency/stability tradeoff.

You will have the same Openreach DLM regardless of which FTTC retail supplier you use.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 12:06:40
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

The IP Profile is nothing to do with the Openreach DLM. It is a feature of the WBC one. Proven by there being no IP Profile on TT and Sky FTTC.

WBC also has options for the ISP to specify Standard, Stable, or Super Stable per connection. Whether there is any mechanism not known about in the public domain to pass this request to the OR one I don't know. If there is, it will probably be documented in the WBC FTTC handbook, only available to ISPs. The most likely option is that it triggers line profile banding. That is certainly present in the OR DLM. Note that the line profile is not the same thing as the IP Profile.

There is no "semi" about the IP Profile automatically following the sync. What can go wrong is that the re-sync is not detected by either WBC or the ISP, (still to be resolved), due to exceptionally quick resyncs completing without the PPP/DHCP spotting the line drop. This also happens occasionally on ADSLx. See this detailed post. Both quotes are from the OR description of their DLM.

I'm not sure where you get your information about "DLM is super-keen on stability". Which of these DLMs? I've seen no evidence here of this on FTTC.

The fact remains that the severe criticism of the BT DLMs by zyborg is based on a product that is not used on FTTC. Until I and others told him, he didn't even know that lousy old product could be avoided by going LLU - and as I said it was a mammoth task to persuade him to take that step.

The new WBC product is radically different and better. The OR one he knows nothing about from his own experience.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 12:13:08
Print Post

They 100% offer 80/20

It's offered on their website. Here's a screenshot.
http://i47.tinypic.com/11c8ql5.png

There's a number to call etc too. It's totally unlimited with no restrictions on vpn, p2p, torrents etc.

Here's a speedtest I just did. It's via wifi using the sky router so would be better via ethernet no doubt http://www.speedtest.net/result/2195361751.png
(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 12:43:57
Print Post

I agree with much of what RobertoS says; in particular that extreme criticism is mostly unfounded. As we both say; the main issue for a customer is DLM, not profile. TT and Sky share the DLM.

The rest is a matter of use of words. 'Semi-atuomatic' seems reasonable term for something automatic that doesn't always work without manual intervention. (In my experience, doesn't usually work without manual intervention, for the reasons he explains.)

The IP profile is 'to do with' DLM because of the way they are linked, even though they are operated by different sub-companies of BT in different locations. And for a typical Infinity customer with locked modem, the IP profile is the only indication (a rather poor one alas) of what the sync speed is, and thus their only guide to how DLM is behaving.

DLM does indeed have three control options, but as I said, the Infinity user isn't allowed to play with them. I'm not sure of the situation for other isps. The one used by BT retail means that a burst of noise can force the DLM settings down quite far and very fast. It will not build up again for a long time, often nearly two weeks; even if the line remains consistently good quality and capable of reliably returning to the original speed. That's what I mean by "DLM is super-keen on stability"; it is my experience confirmed by that of many others on the BT forums. Many people would happily turn off interleaving and choose faster speeds even if it did mean more error packets and more frequent loss of service.

--
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 14:13:07
Print Post

I'm not sure you aren't mixing up the two DLMs, and also the behaviour on ADSLx and FTTC (Infinity if on BT Retail) frown. It would help greatly if you would say which you mean each time you mention DLM. Also when you say a burst of noise can force the DLM settings down quite far and very fast, I repeat I don't recall anything about this being mentioned as a general problem on FTTC.

You also seem, if talking about ADSLx, which we shouldn't be, to be conflating noise margin issues and IP Profile changes.

It may be me, but I feel befogged by your last two posts. Other than a few problems, unsurpising given the number of people on Infinity and other FTTC connections, there seem to me to be virtually no problems with either DLM. Just fault handling by support teams, and the need at times for an Openreach removal of unnecessary banding. Not seen any of those for a while either.

(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 18:27:12
Print Post

I was talking only about FTTC, not at all about ADSL. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

eg DLM at the cabinet. And if you look on the BT forum, you will see lots of complaints about it.

It is often confused with the profile on that forum. As I mentioned, people can see the profile but can't see the DLM controls so the confusion is natural. Quite a few of the complaints are actually ungrounded, or come down to issues with the HomeHub. However, a significant number remain that are to do with DLM. Maybe a single burst of noise is an exaggeration, but a not very long extended burst will push down the DLM allowed rate (not sure what term is used for it); and I and many others have seen it take around 2 weeks to return.

--
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 19:06:07
Print Post

I assume you mean an inhouse BT forum?

Anyway, I believe the normal term for it is banding, where a maximum and minimum sync are set. I expect this is the topic more fully described in the WBC FTTC Handbook. I also think this mechanism is how the higher stability options are achieved, instead of the ADSLx BTW DLM's control by the target noise margin.

(committed) Sun 23-Sep-12 11:05:51
Print Post

Yes. Anyone thinking of infinity should visit it. http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity No need to be on bt to sign up.

~~~ sorry for the bad link earlier, should work now

--

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:55)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Sep-12 11:08:52
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Joining *DELETED*

Post deleted by BatBoy
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Sep-12 12:32:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Yes. Anyone thinking of infinity should visit it.

But you run the risk of really inexperienced/uninformed people posting "stuff" 24x7 that can give a false impression. I've seen the same on other ISP forums that are open to the public. tbb's big advantage is clued up individuals (e.g. RobertoS and others) and the likes of MrSaffron.

The BE forum avoided the problem by limiting to members, it kinda makes sense now.

James - BT Infinity 2 - 19th Sept 2012 - Sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
(committed) Sun 23-Sep-12 13:39:35
Print Post

Yes, I absolutely agree with the problems of a forum like the BT one. I should have put that as a caveat on my post. However, read carefully, it does give a lot of insight that complements TBB. Even the BE and TBB forums (and everything else on the web) contain a fair proportion of rubbish and need to be interpreted carefully.

--
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 21:00:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That WBC DLM/Profiling has been completely replaced, for ADSLx as well as FTTC. The new one is great, with automatic lowering of noise margins to 3dB on good lines, and instantaneous profile changes to 88.2% of the new sync.

It can't be any worse.

i still don't think it is that great for people with long lines, my next door neighbour still gets a rubbish speed, both sides and they are both using BT.

Please don't go like some of the permanent complainers. Your complaint was valid at the time, but as advice for new joiners is just completely irrelevant and confuses the issue.

Going by the speed both of my neighbours get I think it is still relevant.
You took a heck of a lot of convincing to go to LLU! I for one, and there were several others, put in a huge amount of effort to give you the courage to do it. IIRC it took us a year or so!

it was not a year and the only reason I did not want to go to LLU was because of the hassle people had going back if things went wrong. I know it took me a while, but it normally does for me to try something.

Strange that it did not take me long to decide to drop fixed line broadband.

We are trying to help people decide on the currently available products. Your valid criticism of older products is not helpful to the people we are trying to help - in the same way as we helped you to do the right thing. Do you think we would we now try to convince someone else to do the opposite unless something had radically changed?

i understand, but as i said above from what I have seen, nothing have improved for people with longer lines. Could be different FTTC, one of my next door neighbours will be going for FTTC, the other won't so I expect I will hear if they have any problems.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 21:05:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
They 100% offer 80/20

It's offered on their website. Here's a screenshot.
http://i47.tinypic.com/11c8ql5.png

There's a number to call etc too. It's totally unlimited with no restrictions on vpn, p2p, torrents etc.

Here's a speedtest I just did. It's via wifi using the sky router so would be better via ethernet no doubt http://www.speedtest.net/result/2195361751.png

That is using Wi-fi? good grief. that is a fair bit of speed,

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to