User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User telcon
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 20:06:41
Print Post

Re: The Slow Deterioration Of My Broadband Speed

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Schrodingers_Cat:
I am suspicious about this....whether it is a deliberate ploy to force people to move to BT Infinity.

If it is, then it certainly worked in my case.

I described my line-drop problems in the thread on the last page entitled:

Home Hub 2 Needs Reset Every Few Hours

After a few weeks of this I succumbed to BT's Infinity spam and signed up.

Mysteriously, the moment I did this, the problems abruptly stopped.

Coincidence? You be the judge. smile

Still, I needed a nudge because although I generally hate change and expect it to be for the worse, I have to admit that I'm much happier with Infinity.

The engineer arrived when he was supposed to and when the modem wouldn't sync he tinkered with the green box outside (cabinet?) in the pouring rain until it did.

He didn't even suggest installing the useless McAfee junk on BT's CD and generally did a fine job.

I gave him £10 for his trouble.
Standard User greyposter
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Oct-12 20:47:14
Print Post

[re: telcon] [link to this post]

I have the very same problem.

‘Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.’
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:24:05
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

How very cynical smile

Everyone can understand people being suspicous but there could be less neferious reasons why your speed as gone down.

I'm asuming from your post that Infinity is enable from your cab?

If so this means your d-side cable route may now be more heavily populated with with ADSL and VDSL frequencies. This will lead to more crosstalk due to the phenominominominon wink known as cable fill, which means lower snr (not just margin but actual snr), and therefore lower synch speed.

The problem may be two-fold:
1. Infinity may be popular in your area and so there may have been an increase in subscribers
2. The output power on the FTTC cab should be choked back and shaped but theoretically it could still be high enough to cause crosstalk problems, e.g. your attenuation is 52dB so your MSAN's output power might be 20dBm for example, whereas the FTTC might only broadcast at 5dBm, but because your siganl has come all the way from the exchange , which might be 45dB awayfrom the cab, then your heavily attenuated 20dBm has to compete with an effectively unattenuated 5dBm.

Does that make sense? I hope so because I'm going to struggle to clarify that one!

Of course you could be correct and they might be forcing you to move to Infinity but on principal I'm uncertain smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to