User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 14-Nov-12 18:11:46
Print Post

Re: Email Accounts (edited)

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Last time I actually logged on to BTInternet.com was two or three years back (maybe more) but I still have the email accounts which are on auto forward to elsewhere.

Interesting.

I also have email forwarding setup but every now & again I get an email from BT reminding me to dial-in to the account within a certain period otherwise the account will be disabled.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 18:29:26
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

I don't get the emails any longer ... they stopped way back and were the reminder to login. I have just one or two people that use that email address - and for some reason refuse to change! Have just sent an email to the account and it was received, auto-forwarded, 5 seconds later. So, still active.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 19:27:16
Print Post

I did the deletion because I re-read what it says in the earlier link that has the strike-out.

The link still works, and I don't see any way there that the address can be kept past 90 days without paying. It could be that people on it in legacy mode can carry on, but that this applies to people who joined after some point in time.

Or - that page was written by someone who didn't understand fully what they were talking about. (Surely not! tongue )

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 20:14:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is certainly not what teh situation was when I had a BTInternet account. I moved to a Business ADSL service in 2000 and had a BTClick account which then became BTConnect.

The rule then was - it is a PAYG account and dial in every 90 days or they could attach the email address to a BT Residential ADSL account but for some reason it was not possible to link it to a Business ADSL account. I continued to use dial in - travelling a lot meant it would happen quite often anyway through until around 2006. I then dialled in maybe once every 6-12 months - access the three or four email account and that was it. But since, maybe even 2008, I have not dialled into the account - one PC does access the email every few days but that is it.

So, maybe there are customers on a legacy agreement.

M H C

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 15-Nov-12 09:50:28
Print Post

customers on a legacy agreement
More likely lots of legacy software. It is not worth BT's time to update it; cheaper just to let some people get a free service to which they aren't strictly entitled. I'd be uneasy as a user, because you never know when they might update the software for some other reason and (intentionally or unintentionally) cut off your service.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 15-Nov-12 10:23:44
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

There are still people on old legacy agreements with BT - I have quite a few friends who are still on dial-up so until they are all sorted nothing will happen. There agreements state the 90 day clause so BT would be in a very difficult position totally kill it off.

In my case, it does not really matter, the users of my BTInternet address are not that significant and they have had plenty of time to change.

M H C

Standard User lelboy
(member) Thu 15-Nov-12 23:38:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob, Long time no speak. I still have my BT addresses - created years ago and used all the while I was with o2: I am now back with BT (Infinity 80/20, as you know!), and still use them, in addition to the "new" primary address that BT provided me with this time round.
Cheers, Les.
Standard User whitelightning1
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 12:27:54
Print Post

Re: Email Accounts (edited) *DELETED*

Post deleted by whitelightning1
Standard User whitelightning1
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 12:29:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by IanBB:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Edit - My opening lines are wrong - things have changed. I believe it used to be possible, as long as you used it regularly.

It must be a very recent change.

I still have a pay as you go account with BT which I keep active by using my mobile to send an email via a data connection every couple of months.

I've done it just now for the grand sum of 20p so that should give me another 90 days of grace!

Hi IanBB. Do you mean you use your mobile to do a dial up connection? Or do you simply just send an email to your btinternet.com email address and this keeps it alive?

I've just got rid of a laptop which had a built in modem. Struggling to think how to keep my pay as you go account and more importantly my btinternet email active. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:41:13
Print Post

[re: whitelightning1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by whitelightning1:
Hi IanBB. Do you mean you use your mobile to do a dial up connection?

Yes, that's exactly what I do.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to