User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User whitelightning1
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:10:20
Print Post

Re: Email Accounts (edited)

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IanBB:
In reply to a post by whitelightning1:
Hi IanBB. Do you mean you use your mobile to do a dial up connection?

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

Thanks Ian. What mobile do you use? I have a Galaxy S2 and I can't find the feature. Don't think I've come across a mobile for a few years that can do dial up connections.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Dec-12 19:45:14
Print Post

[re: whitelightning1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by whitelightning1:
Thanks Ian. What mobile do you use? I have a Galaxy S2 and I can't find the feature. Don't think I've come across a mobile for a few years that can do dial up connections.

Its called "circuit switched data" (CSD) and its not enabled on most SIM cards unless you ask the network to enable it. On my.t-mobile.co.uk I can enable it for a one off cost of £20 and that allocates special incoming numbers to my account so I could receive faxes. (if I was using my old Nokia Communicator).

The reason its not enabled by default is the network has to maintain a modem bank at their end, the GSM network passes the data through and the modem bank at the network makes the call to the destination.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 23:30:03
Print Post

I thought that since the days of ADSLx all you had to do was access it through your normal internet connection, within the timeout period? (To read, rather than send to).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(member) Sat 15-Dec-12 13:57:23
Print Post

[re: whitelightning1] [link to this post]

I'm using a Nokia 9300i

In the internet settings I have a choice of GSM Data (which I use for BT) GPRS, IP Passthrough & Wireless LAN
Standard User IanBB
(member) Sat 15-Dec-12 14:19:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Its called "circuit switched data" (CSD) and its not enabled on most SIM cards unless you ask the network to enable it. On my.t-mobile.co.uk I can enable it for a one off cost of £20 and that allocates special incoming numbers to my account so I could receive faxes. (if I was using my old Nokia Communicator).

The reason its not enabled by default is the network has to maintain a modem bank at their end, the GSM network passes the data through and the modem bank at the network makes the call to the destination.

I agree that you can get another number allocated for incoming faxes but that is irrelevant to the current discussion.

As for for maintaining a modem bank that is pure bunkum! The only place where modems exist are on the phone itself and the receiving party (in this case, BT)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:17:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by IanBB:
As for for maintaining a modem bank that is pure bunkum! The only place where modems exist are on the phone itself and the receiving party (in this case, BT)

You sure? I was told by a senior Orange engineer in the mid 90s, when I was apparently one of 250 customers who used CSD.

GPRS quickly took over of course smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User IanBB
(member) Mon 17-Dec-12 13:22:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes!

I use the same dial-up number on my mobile as I do on a laptop using BT through a standard modem on a BT line (can't remember the last time that was used though!)

The connection type on the mobile is interesting though, Remote modem:Analog, Modem speed: 9600 smile**

Shockingly low speed by todays standards but to send a quick email where otherwise you could be restricted by SMS limits it's fine. I know I can use my mobile operators GPRS/EDGE connection to do the same but by using the BT dial-up number every now and again I am keeping my side of the bargain where I am making a chargeable call to their network.

** Just changed the connection speed to 14,400 so now running on rocket fuel on an old data connection laugh***

*** And now running at 28,880! Seems that is the limit for data calls unless one has ISDN provisioned (?)

Edited by IanBB (Mon 17-Dec-12 13:43:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 15:49:22
Print Post

56k half-duplex? Sounds about right.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:25:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

On a mobile?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:28:19
Print Post

No - at the far end.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to