User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Dec-12 19:44:36
Print Post

Re: I want to be Btinternet not Openworld

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
Thanks. I tend to use the Yahoo! web page so I might try fiddling with the settings. Do you have more specific instructions?
Login to your Yahoo email using your btinternet address.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 02-Dec-12 20:15:39
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

through the yahoo mail classic menus:
select mail options/ accounts, new account,
enter your new details

it should then send a confirmation message, to prove that you can receive on that address
follow the confirmation
the you should be able to send as that alternate address. (by pull down list on the from field on new message, might even be able to make that the default)

-don't know the procedure under latest version of yahoo website
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Dec-12 23:36:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I presume his problem is that BT (or whatever proxies for it) Webmail prevents him from sending as the newer @btinternet and auto sends as the older original @btopenworld. Hence my suggestion of using a mail client.

I'm not sure @btinternet is newer - as that was given to people using dialup in 2002, when ADSL users had @btopenworld. It shows how BT has had about 6 or 7 domains used for retail email in the 10 years and still haven't standardised on a single one. Its not as if it gives them more aliases either due to the setup!!

The original poster should either ask BT support, or think about moving to a non-ISP email account just in case they want to move ISP in the future.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Dec-12 23:42:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Is what is being said here that anyone with the allocated email address of anick@btopenworld.com also has anick@btinternet.com, and maybe a few other "@btdomains? Just that BT don't tell punters this?

I find that ridiculous, but so many of you seem to be saying it is true.
Edit - correction of typo (thanks IanBB), which was a correction in the first place from repeating btopenworld frown .

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Dec-12 08:53:33)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Dec-12 23:43:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ah, I inferred that from OP. OK, read "old"/"new" as "original"/"unoriginal" smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Dec-12 23:49:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Seems like it!

Prompted me to see if it is true with Orange's many email domains but it isn't smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 03-Dec-12 00:16:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Dec-12 23:57:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"isn't"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Dec-12 00:17:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Knew but cba then!

Standard User ultra
(experienced) Mon 03-Dec-12 01:31:40
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

"or if they redirected back to their own SMTP servers."

It was done that way back when it was Freeserve, and they gave the server that handled such mail quite low priority if it needed fixing. I've used external services, such as FastMail.net (which allows users to send on any port, with authentication, so can be used on a company LAN as port 80 is rarely blocked!).

Other than that benefit (from a paid-for service), I'd always suggest someone get themself a free mail address from anyone but their ISP (whether it be GMail, Hotmail or some other) so they have the option of switching ISP without the headache of re-registering with websites where they have accounts.

Also, if you don't like junk mail, then using spamgourmet.com can 'hide' your real mail address from websites you register with, and if they ever change hands, or get hacked, you can quickly set spamgourmet to eat everything sent to that address. Also, if you use unique addresses, one per website, then if they sell their mail list at any point, you know exactly which website was the culprit.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Dec-12 02:32:11
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
Also, if you use unique addresses, one per website, then if they sell their mail list at any point, you know exactly which website was the culprit.
You can do, & I do, that with Orange email addys, which are of the form [email protected] .

Also Orange email addys persist after you leave as long as you reactivate them online about every 7 months.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to