User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 12-Dec-12 00:46:47
Print Post

Re: VOIP and BT Infinity 2 traffic shaping

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd better go read SIN 472 then http://www.sinet.bt.com/472v2p0.pdf

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Dec-12 07:47:56
Print Post

[re: musicaddict] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by musicaddict:
wanted to know if people have had experience with using VOIP on these plans.

I've just closed my SIPgate account but was using it through my Draytek 2820Vn router with a basic telephone attached. Calling friends in the US it was fine, no issues.

Yes I replaced the BTHomehub with the Draytek, WAN2 port connected to the Openreach VDSL modem.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 09:13:22
Print Post

We've used quite a bit of Skype and a little VoipStunt. Plenty of issues with Skype calls to Malai, but I don't think that was Infinity's fault! Otherwise, no problems. That was all with the regular HomeHub (3B), and on the stadard unlimited home Infinity plan.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Wed 12-Dec-12 10:31:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User musicaddict
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:01:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I use VOIP on a BT Infinity business connection and it barely dents the available bandwidth even when using two lines. Even if you were dramatically shaped as VOIP is prioritised you will not see any difference in quality or latency - The latency is not noticeable - I do a lot of work on remote satellite comms and am very aware of latency be it just a fraction of a second or two to three seconds.

Are you on the 100gig business plan or the unlimited. Do they shape/ traffic manage on the business plans?

Edited by musicaddict (Wed 12-Dec-12 10:02:12)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:11:20
Print Post

Currently on an old unlimited business plan which is changing next week to the new unlimited plan.

There is no traffic shaping as far as I have experienced on the business services. There is always traffic management on any service - for example ensuring VOIP services have a higher priority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:24:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

So your experience on the business plan with no shaping will be very different to the standard residential plans. I see your point about the traffic management and that is fine. My whole concern is that the shaping that happens on the residential plans might add latency or interfere with the voip call in some way.
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:27:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Yes I replaced the BTHomehub with the Draytek, WAN2 port connected to the Openreach VDSL modem.

Did you have issues with the BTHomehub or just wanted a better router?
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:35:03
Print Post

My whole concern is that the shaping that happens on the residential plans might add latency or interfere with the voip call in some way. Just edited my post above, to comment that my VOIP has been working fine on the standard Infinity home plan.

My latency is not very good (29ms to bbc), partly because of interleaving and partly because of silly BT routing. However, very little jitter and no observed bad effect on Voip.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Wed 12-Dec-12 10:35:35)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:36:26
Print Post

I have tried running some very large downloads - GigaBytes and at the same time using the VOIP connection. I notice no change in the quality for maybe 99.99% of te time and no additional lag/delay. Yes a packet may get lost/delayed which could result in a small error but very small.#

looking at the various stats for Jitter, Loss, One-way delay, Round trip time shows nothing significantly different from a call with no traffic running. So, even if you are managed/capped in any way, I would doubt that there would be any perceptible problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:37:28
Print Post

The whole point of the traffic shaping, or at least a major part of it, is to ensure that latency for gaming and VOIP is maintained at a decent level, by restricting torrents and suchlike loads on the network.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to