User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Dec-12 18:15:29
Print Post

Re: BRAS Profile quick fix

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have seen reports on another 3rd party forum of profiles higher than 80mbit, what would be interesting to know is if those people also had syncs higher than 79999 and if BT are deciding to allow throughput to be 80mbit/sec 'after' overheads like VM do, otherwise its probably an error on the systems.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 18:47:17
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I believe it's a quick fix and nothing to do with sync.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 23:35:06
Print Post

But what is it fixing? That's what you seem to know and we don't smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 23:42:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The broken BRAS profile system.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 00:04:23
Print Post

But you haven't said in what respect it is or was broken. It's working fine for all cases I've seen.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Dec-12 00:08:05
Print Post

Yes I did, in the 2nd post above. Remember you are not on BT broadband.

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 23-Dec-12 00:08:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 00:25:15
Print Post

?
Hang on! That's drivel.

Quoting the thread in sequence:-

U: Looks like BT have done a quick fix to their broken BRAS profile system by setting them to be above 80 Mbps.
Q: what was broken?
U:
1 - The BRAS profile system has been reporting a Max Achievable Speed of zero for about a month, and also does not move.
2 - However, the IP Profile is now being reported as above 80Mbps by many people.

Me now:-

(1) is still doing that so that isn't fixed.
(2) logically follows from your opening statement that they are setting profiles to above 80Mbps.

Nowhere there or later do you say what was or is broken other than perhaps (1), which clearly isn't fixed.

Would you like to give us a couple of links to illustrations of what I seem to be failing to grasp?
Remember you are not on BT broadband.
But I am subject to the same BRAS Profile system as those who are. What has BT Retail got to do with the way the IP Profile system operates?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Dec-12 00:33:01
Print Post

The IP profile is not one and the same as the BRAS profile, is it?

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sun 23-Dec-12 07:39:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

That is for ADSL, but VDSL2 operates in a similar manner, apart from IP Profile/BRAS rate being 96.79% of sync speed (subject to being updated by a new PPP session being initiated (doesn't always happen if "on the fly" resyncs are too quick to force a new session).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 09:11:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You are correct there.

Which gives rise to five points:-

1) You have still not given even a glimmer of a clue as to what you were talking about when you referred to "their broken BRAS profile system", in that you haven't said which aspect of it was broken and is now fixed.

2) That quote continues with "by setting them to be above 80 Mbps". So this BRAS profile system has according to you been set to 80 Mbps. Seeing as you now correctly say IP Profile and BRAS profile are not the same thing, it is unclear to what the 80 Mbps refers if not the IP Profile constituent of the BRAS profile.

3) A reread of your OP has just made me realise that the BRAS profile is a "them". Huh?

4) In the second post above to which you directed me you say "However, the IP Profile is now being reported as above 80Mbps by many people." From what you say now that must have been a random and irrelevant statement in relation to a fix of something else.

5) You have given no evidence whatsoever of the IP Profile being set to above 80Mbps on FTTC lines, though I accept there has been a corroborative post which is also anecdotal.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Dec-12 09:12:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to