User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 23:57:40
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Talk

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What isn't fine is it leaves a handset icon at the top left of the screen even after a sideswipe, so it isn't even supposed to be suspended. It should be as if it wasn't called into play.

I took this annoying 'feature' as an indication that the app was written to handle incoming calls, in case BT decide to offer incoming calls to Smart Talk apps.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:19:08
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Or maybe the app that they used as inspiration, actually offers that function.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:49:08
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

My Messaging and GMail apps put icons there when messages do come in, and when I read the messages the icons disappear.

Similar behaviour from the SmartTalk app would make sense. Having the icon permanently there as soon as the app has been used can only be described as a bug.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User killerheels
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 19:29:53
Print Post

Just to let you know that you can get rid of the phone notification on the Samsung screen. Here's how:

Go into "task manager" app.

Find BTSmartTalk in list and open by pressing phone icon - don't hit uninstall!
Underneath the Force Stop panel there is a little square box with Show Notifications. Untick and you will remove the phone icon from the notification screen.

Simples!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:26:03
Print Post

[re: killerheels] [link to this post]

Thanks killerheels smile. That's got rid of the icon.

Only - completely so, so you don't even know it is loaded. Which seems to happen randomly. It also warned when unticking that it also disables update notifications. With a fairly new app I'm not sure I want to do that.

It's more the inability to close it completely that bugs me. I'm sure I've seen exit in the pop-up menus of some add-on apps. One would expect a professional app from BT. (As if!)

So on further consideration I think I'll leave it as it was.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:31
Print Post

As far as I can see the notification is only cosmetic.

If you are not making calls, it will not incur charges.

This app only works when you make a call and I think that it is perfectly fine to disable the notification. See my other post about how to close the app without having to force close or use the home button.

I will monitor battery drain and call charges; if there is anything untoward I will post an update, and also log a complaint with BT!

Edited by killerheels (Fri 29-Mar-13 21:05:56)

(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:58:03
Print Post

By the way - there is a "close app" button. Here's where to find it...

Open the app and press the pad to the right of the home button on the Galaxy. This will bring up the settings menu. See the X in the bottom right? That's the close app button. Daft place to put it - but there you go. I think that finally sorts it!

Edited by killerheels (Fri 29-Mar-13 21:04:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:33:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by killerheels:
As far as I can see the notification is only cosmetic.
When I turned off notifications, it said it also turns off notifications of updates. I'm not happy with that, given a fairly new app on the market, which might require the user choosing to install or not, and doing nothing until given the go-ahead.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:36:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by killerheels:
By the way - there is a "close app" button. Here's where to find it...

Open the app and press the pad to the right of the home button on the Galaxy. This will bring up the settings menu. See the X in the bottom right? That's the close app button. Daft place to put it - but there you go. I think that finally sorts it!
I think you mean the left? Then in Settings is App Manager, which is the way to kill the app. So I don't know where you are describing smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to