User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Feb-13 16:12:21
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Speed

[re: painter] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by painter:
I had BT Infinity 2 for a few days now, do you think the following speeds are good (average speeds shown, performed a few tests at different days/times)?
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850vn instead of the BT supplied modem and HH3.

I think your line might be like mine, about 500 to 550 metres from the cabinet. I'm using an older Draytek 2820Vn with the Openreach modem but the HH3 went into the cupboard the evening the engineer left.

I did get download speeds of 51Mpbs on the first day when I performed the first couple of tests.

I saw 56 once but that was the first day, and after that DLM kicked in and I stabilised.

Try the speedtest on this site (as long as you're not using a Mac) its pretty good now:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/

I get some good info:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 23-Feb-13 16:55:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

If the Max Attainable was around 10Mbps then there would be an upstream sync of a similar figure - anywhere from 9 to 11 Mbps. However as the OP has an upstream sync of 20 Mbps - according to the BBC tester then his max attainable will be in the 19 to 20+++ Mbps range.

If we can see the OPs router stats and a plot it can be easy to determine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Feb-13 17:04:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If the Max Attainable was around 10Mbps then there would be an upstream sync of a similar figure - anywhere from 9 to 11 Mbps. However as the OP has an upstream sync of 20 Mbps - according to the BBC tester then his max attainable will be in the 19 to 20+++ Mbps range.

I think you should look again the OP posted he has a 20meg PROFILE (which I also have) but speed testers have reported 10 meg upload. The OP hasn't used a BBC tester !!

I thought all upload profiles are set at the max ??

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Sat 23-Feb-13 17:05:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 23-Feb-13 17:16:15
Print Post

Spell Cheecker fail ...

Should say BT tester.

The BT tester will report the maximum speeds based on the sync.

M H C

Standard User Bartman1967
(newbie) Sat 23-Feb-13 18:00:27
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Speed *DELETED*

Post deleted by Bartman1967
Standard User Bartman1967
(newbie) Sat 23-Feb-13 18:01:41
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Infinity depends greatly on the distance to the street cabinet, which Virgin Media cable does not.

Thanks for the heads up. I was interested in Infinity because of their up speeds. Not so sure now.

Infinity does have a better upload, I always get 15Mbps+, plus my connection is not over subscribed or over saturated.....and its totally unlimited, don't even get throttled when I download X amount, which Virgin Medium does. (I use to be a customer of VM, was on cable since the beginning, then they butchered it.) Looks like all online gamers have gone to BT whilst the heavy down-loaders have decimated the cable companies.

tuppence's worth of rant
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Feb-13 18:06:52
Print Post

The BT tester will report the maximum speeds based on the sync.

Confirm, but for me with my around 9meg upload sync, it also reports a 20meg upload profile. Which is what the OP posted. The OP doesn't have a 20meg upload sync.

Edited by jchamier (Sat 23-Feb-13 18:07:09)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 24-Feb-13 11:14:52
Print Post

He has not said what his sync is ...

based on the following, what do you think the upstream sync is on the line?

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13609...

M H C

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Feb-13 13:31:51
Print Post

He has not said what his sync is ...

Agree - he only told us his profile. He also told us what other speed test sites report.

based on the following, what do you think the upstream sync is on the line?

Given that old Java tester had major problems with showing upload on FTTC services (always under-reported dramatically) I have no idea.

I stated that mine is almost identical and giving the same results on these other speed test sites. So I can guess his sync is similar to mine.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 24-Feb-13 14:10:51
Print Post

There might have been some issues with Java tester but there were tests on the old tbb flash tester, speedtest.net and visualware.com at the same time which gave near identical results.

There were a large number of tests with the new Flash tester but not logged in so most results are not recorded but immediately prior to the testing these were seen:

Are four flash tester results which show the 9Mbps upload - And the line has a 20Mbps sync, max achievable of over 24Mbps

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to