User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 17:02:31
Print Post

Trying to switch to "Unlimited BT Infinity 2 "

[link to this post]

Hi,

I had Infinity 2 connected on Jan 25th, and now that the new "totally unlimited" products are out, I'd like to switch to that so that I don't get throttling of torrents at peak times. I understand I may extend the length of the contract by doing so, and that's absolutely fine.

I've called BT on 0800 111 4567 and been bounced about between tech and sales. Sales eventually put an order in, but there has been no change. The Glasnost test still says Bittorrent downloads are rate limited, and I still see poor download speeds prior to midnight.

For anyone who has successfully moved from the old infinity 2 to the new one, please can you tell me what product name appeared in the order email? What product name do you see when you log into BT.com under "My Products" (the text, not the graphic, please!)

In both places I see "BT Infinity Option 2" which I think is the old product. Does anyone else see "Unlimited BT Infinity 2"?

Thanks.
Jonathan.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Mar-13 17:09:40
Print Post

Re: Trying to switch to "Unlimited BT Infinity 2 "

[re: cad42] [link to this post]

Sorry, I can't answer your questions, but
- you can upgrade online via My BT
- It takes 5 days for the throttling to be removed

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 17:18:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks. If it takes 5 days, then that could well be my issue! I'll post back next week!
Jonathan.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Sun 10-Mar-13 08:35:47
Print Post

Re:Trying to switch to "Unlimited BT Infinity 2 "

Hi cad42

If you drop me in an email I'll be happy to have a look over your account and verify that you are on the new totally unlimited package.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Cheers

Craig
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sun 10-Mar-13 13:22:54
Print Post

I see "Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 2".

Though the unthrottling may take a few days after the service change, the service change is usually quite quick.
Be aware that while the change is being actioned the website can temporarily report absurd results such as 'No Phone/No Broadband'.
Looks as if BT_CARE will sort it for you; good luck.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:12:49
Print Post

your product name wont change at all on the mybt site, even tho many of us moaned about it on the btcare forums it seems it falls on deaf ears.

The throttling will be removed within 5 days usually.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User copex
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-13 19:57:23
Print Post

well you done better than me i got told there was no difference, when i pointed them to the BT web page, i revived an apology and told to ring BT customer services, my question about upgrading was ignored, i rang BT and got the run around so i gave up, i have tried mybt but computer said no. i was connected to BT inifity on 18th of jan

As a BT Infinity customer you are already getting the best speeds possible on your package. To find out whether you could go even faster by upgrading your BT Infinity package please visit www.bt.com/infinity to find out more.

Edited by copex (Mon 11-Mar-13 20:01:41)

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:18:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

your product name wont change at all on the mybt site

Mine did ~ but the site is so absurd that I wouldn't be surprised at anything it said.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User robertcrowther
(regular) Wed 13-Mar-13 12:29:25
Print Post

[re: copex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by copex:
well you done better than me i got told there was no difference, when i pointed them to the BT web page, i revived an apology and told to ring BT customer services, my question about upgrading was ignored, i rang BT and got the run around so i gave up, i have tried mybt but computer said no. i was connected to BT inifity on 18th of jan

As a BT Infinity customer you are already getting the best speeds possible on your package. To find out whether you could go even faster by upgrading your BT Infinity package please visit www.bt.com/infinity to find out more.

Have you tried upgrading online?

Use this link to upgrade online if you have not: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

The upgrade option is on the second section headed: Or Upgrade your BT Infinity?
Standard User copex
(committed) Wed 13-Mar-13 20:24:25
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

thanks i will give it a try.
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 00:14:21
Print Post

[re: copex] [link to this post]

Hey,

5 days or so after my service was switched: there is a very noticeable difference - the glasnost test is clean / green. It did take two calls to sales to get my service switched and I had to be very insistent - sales definitely don't realise the product has changed, let alone understand ofcom's rules around "totally unlimited" wording in product descriptions.

The most frustrating thing was talking to three people on tech support to understand why the traffic management was still in place one day after the product was switched. Three people in the outsourced support centre told me it was because uTorrent software was illegal under UK law.

BT care, thanks for your offer - several of your colleagues had confirmed the product I was on already. If you want to help, please try to educate your sales team about the products and your tech support team about the delay in traffic management changes after a product change. I think you should think long and hard abou the fact that other customers on this forum answered my question quickly and correctly whilst your colleagues could not.

The product description on MyBT still has not updated, but my service clearly has done, so I'm not worried. Good luck to everyone else trying to get this done - and use this forum instead of calling tech support!

Cheers.
Jonathan.
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 09:43:29
Print Post

The reason for the delay in having the p2p restrictions lifted is because BT Wholesale have to lift it and not BT Retail therefore there is a delay while the order is sent to BT Wholesale, which is between 3 and 5 days.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:17:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
The reason for the delay in having the p2p restrictions lifted is because BT Wholesale have to lift it and not BT Retail therefore there is a delay while the order is sent to BT Wholesale, which is between 3 and 5 days.
??????????????????????????????????????????

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Mar-13 18:14:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
??????????????????????????????????????????

My reaction was [censored] - unless BTretail is basically a white label product and Wholesale do the ISP side of things as well as the WBC side of things.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 19:14:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks. We've established that there is a delay and that's not really a big concern (at least to me!)

What is a concern is that the sales team don't understand the new products and that tech support don't understand that there is a delay in lifting traffic management after the customer has moved to the new product (and tech support gave out misinformation).

Best regards.
Jonathan.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 17-Mar-13 18:59:16
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

if they did I believe that would be something ofcom wouldnt be happy about. As BTw and BTr are supposed to be seperate operational wise.

I think the statement is a load of BS and the delay is probably just package changes having to be manually processed.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
(regular) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:36:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
if they did I believe that would be something ofcom wouldnt be happy about. As BTw and BTr are supposed to be seperate operational wise.

I think the statement is a load of BS and the delay is probably just package changes having to be manually processed.

There is nothing in Ofcom rules that say BT Retail can't use BT Wholesale products and services, if it did, then BT Infinity would not work at all.

If BT Retail did have control over the p2p restrictions, don't you think they would disable it from when a customer's activation starts and have it as part of the package and not 5 days after.

Yes, you are right that it has to be manually processed, but it's BT Wholesale who carry out the order.

It's like when an IP profile reset is done, it's BT Wholesale that carry it out.
Standard User Trancetek
(newbie) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:48:13
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Hi I got Infinity option 2 over few Years but after test I still got traffic shaping on.
Can You have Look on my account.
Best Regards
Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:49:02
Print Post

Yes, you are right that it has to be manually processed, but it's BT Wholesale who carry out the order.
That is bilge. Please produce some evidence.

For a start it would involve disclosure details to BT Wholesale of individual customer contracts with BT Retail, and secondly DPI by BT Wholesale to determine the traffic type.

Note that the 10GB allowance product still has traffic management.

Do you believe traffic management on other ISPs is also provided/controlled by BT Wholesale?

IP Profile is a completely different issue as that is a feature of the BT Wholesale product in use.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 18-Mar-13 09:51:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:54:47
Print Post

[re: Trancetek] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Trancetek:
Hi I got Infinity option 2 over few Years but after test I still got traffic shaping on.
Best Regards
Paul
Hi Paul,

I think you need to trigger a product upgrade yourself. It isn't automatic, and this isn't an official place that BT_Care monitor frequently. (In fact they chip in only very sporadically).

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:55:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Trancetek:
Best Regards
Paul
Have you upgraded to a new "totally unlimited" package?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Trancetek
(newbie) Mon 18-Mar-13 09:57:50
Print Post

HI so I have to send emial to bt Care to be total Unlimited ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Mar-13 10:01:28
Print Post

No, you have to regrade to a new package, with a new 12/18 month contract and then a few days after you are swapped over, it will become unlimited. Or you could move to Sky.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Mar-13 10:26:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No, you have to regrade to a new package, with a new 12/18 month contract and then a few days after you are swapped over, it will become unlimited.

Or alternatively, rather than do that, you could move to Sky; Plusnet or TalkTalk.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Mar-13 10:41:25
Print Post

Is TalkTalk totally unlimited? Sky is, but Plusnet appears to be "traffic managed".

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Mar-13 15:20:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is TalkTalk totally unlimited? Sky is, but Plusnet appears to be "traffic managed".
I'm not sure about TalkTalk.

Plusnet has a lot of scare-mongering going on about its traffic management, from a small vociferous group of non-customers who seem wilfully to be unable to understand this document.

Compared with the BT Infinity table that shows no prioritisation for gaming or VOIP, in a multi-user household the Plusnet system can help prevent the customer's service degrade horribly for those users, and in a single-user household it will be virtually unnoticeable (particularly on a fibre connection) but still beneficial.

I am not aware of any customer complaints about it whatsoever. I'm sure there would be many if the performance was below their expectations. There are of course other issues for some customers, in fact quite a few including me, unrelated to the prioritisation system.
Edit - the word "performance" was missing.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 18-Mar-13 17:03:07)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 17:06:41
Print Post

Compared with the BT Infinity table that shows no prioritisation for gaming or VOIP, in a multi-user household the Plusnet system can help prevent the customer's service degrade horribly for those users, and in a single-user household it will be virtually unnoticeable (particularly on a fibre connection) but still beneficial.

That's what Plusnet marketing WANT you to say. Has any family on an ISP without traffic management (e.g. AAISP, or BE) had any problems with doing these tasks???

Not doubting you Bob, just I'm still not convinced by the PR rhetoric.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Mon 18-Mar-13 17:07:03)

(regular) Tue 19-Mar-13 10:22:44
Print Post

For a start it would involve disclosure details to BT Wholesale of individual customer contracts with BT Retail, and secondly DPI by BT Wholesale to determine the traffic type.

Do you believe traffic management on other ISPs is also provided/controlled by BT Wholesale?

IP Profile is a completely different issue as that is a feature of the BT Wholesale product in use.

Why would you think BT Wholesale would need customer details for?

BT Retail have opted into BT Wholesale traffic management, which is why it's automatically enabled when a customer is connected.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 13:30:56
Print Post

It is a moot point as to whether or not BTW would need personal details of the customer, (the package contracted for seems likely as stated previously). For the moment I will concede that point as it is the least important one that I made.

More importantly, you seem to be the only person who knows of BT Wholesale traffic management systems available to non-white-label ISPs, other than the DLM which is nothing to do with the current issue. I assume they appear somewhere in the BTW price list and I have failed to find them?

More importantly,you now add to your previous bilge

BT Retail have opted into BT Wholesale traffic management, which is why it's automatically enabled when a customer is connected.
As before, please produce some evidence instead of a re-statement of what I believe to be delusions on your part.

(regular) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:10:16
Print Post

[[/quote]As before, please produce some evidence instead of a re-statement of what I believe to be delusions on your part.

You say that it's delusions, yet you provide on evidence to back up your claim that it's a delusion.

If you could provide the reasons why and proof to the following then I'm willing to listen.

1. Why does BT Retail automatically enable p2p throttling to new connections, even though the customer has contracted to a package with no restrictions?

2. Why does it take BT up to 5 days to lift the restrictions?

As I say, if you can provide proof and not hearsay then I'm willing to concede on this matter as at the moment I'm only going by what BT Retail has told me.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 17:35:48
Print Post

1. Why does BT Retail automatically enable p2p throttling to new connections, even though the customer has contracted to a package with no restrictions?
Does it? Or is it just upgrades to the full unlimited that take a few days to process?
I've no idea. Plusnet do it on the billing date is all I know.
As I say, if you can provide proof and not hearsay then I'm willing to concede on this matter as at the moment I'm only going by what BT Retail has told me.
That sounds like the usual clueless first-line guys with yawnimg gaps in their training - just trying to get rid of you so they can keep their call-handling rate up.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 18:15:35
Print Post

Yes it is fine for BT retail to use BT wholesale, but it is not fine for BT wholesale to run BT retail's entire network and manage their retail specific traffic management, thats certianly something I have not seen in the BTw portfolio. Yes there is QoS options but they are not specific to managing protocols.

Even isp's that use the maximum BT wholesale management available, managed backhaul, they still have their own network in between BT wholesale and the internet, and its that part where traffic management takes place if it exists..

If I am wrong I welcome correction but I like to see something backing it up.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 18:42:10
Print Post

It's like this - you made the claim, you provide the evidence. It's not good enough to say you were told over the phone, phone them up and ask them to send you a link to a SIN or document where this is evidenced and publish it here.

Otherwise, people may think you're making it up.

(regular) Tue 19-Mar-13 18:47:24
Print Post

Does it? Or is it just upgrades to the full unlimited that take a few days to process?
I've no idea. Plusnet do it on the billing date is all I know.
That sounds like the usual clueless first-line guys with yawnimg gaps in their training - just trying to get rid of you so they can keep their call-handling rate up.

Sounds to me like your postings have been guess work then. If you read BT's forum, you will see that new BT customers are waiting upto the 5 days for the p2p throttling to be removed.

As for you saying about the first-line guys, I've got my information from the management at BT Control, so again please could you post where you have got your information from rather than your guess work.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:15:31
Print Post

As for you saying about the first-line guys, I've got my information from the management at BT Control,
Lol. sure you did. Give me their phone number and I'll call them.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:27:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Even isp's that use the maximum BT wholesale management available, managed backhaul, they still have their own network in between BT wholesale and the internet
EE hasn't! Don't they count?
and its that part where traffic management takes place if it exists
Yet EE operate some Traffic management. Presumably BTw operates it on their behalf.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:29:25
Print Post

BT Control, we have a problem!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:34:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale runs a new Tier 2 operation for the White Label Managed Service (WLMS) for Orange Home (now part of Everything Everywhere).

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:50:39
Print Post

What's a Tier 2 operation? How does it relate to my response to Chrysalis?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 19-Mar-13 19:51:40)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:53:34
Print Post

Tier 2 are the level above Tier 1 call answering staff. Tier 1 take the queries and then escalate them to Tier 2 for resolution.

Basically, you're off-topic because you're talking about EE, which is a white-label operation provided by BTW.

BT Retail is not a while-label operation.

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 19-Mar-13 19:57:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 20:13:19
Print Post

You are deliberately obstructive again!

You are now introducing levels of customer support when we were discussing Traffic management. Or are you trying to say that your "Tier 2" support talks to their computers in real time to effect Traffic management?

'Tis you that is OT; I was simply responding to Chrysalis' generalisation about BTw based ISPs to show that it didn't always hold. Indeed he invited corrections.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 20:36:21
Print Post

I'm sorry, maybe you didn't know that Tier 1 is EE? Which represents their "own network in between BT wholesale and the internet".

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 19-Mar-13 20:39:17)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 20:42:31
Print Post

Yes, I did, but it's irrelevant & OT still.

EDIT to your late addition: Don't be fatuous! Nobody is talking about human networks!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 20:46:59
Print Post

Ah, I'm glad you agree it's off-topic. Maybe I'm not explaining this very well, but BT Retail sells connectivity to end-users and BT Wholesale sells connectivity to ISP's. However, BT Retail don't buy connectivity from BT Wholesale, they are simply different divisions within BT which have different customers.

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 19-Mar-13 20:48:15)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 21:12:36
Print Post

Ok so BTw do offer such a service.

But I agree with you BT retail are not using it.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to