User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(committed) Fri 05-Apr-13 02:42:49
Print Post

Re: Switching to BT - My Experiences

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Throughput is around 16.10 to 16.6Mbps, according to speed tests, with an IPP of 16.8 so yeah pretty big improvement to the 6.7Mbps I had before
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Apr-13 08:26:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The 10 day period is just for working out acceptable min speed of line.

DLM runs forever managing your line - the clue is in its title.

You have a good speed. May not be the best but you can live with it. If it improves it is a bonus; if not so what.

Whats throughput like?
A thought.

I'm not aware of the question ever having been asked about the "intelligence" of the BRAS Profile setting (re MSR/FTR) at the end of the 10 days.

This line was seriously under speed, even allowing for it's generally poor performance. This was due to the high target noise margins at the start.

I wonder whether it will have set the MSR a the lowest speed at 6dB, or at the initial 15dB. If the latter, he needs a re-run of the ten days. As far as I can see, the only way to find out is to as support what his MSR and FTR are set at.

@Matthew - the level of the FTR matters if your line deteriorates in the future. If the sync speed stays above the FTR BT Wholesale will say it is still above the minimum expected for it, and won't accept a fault report.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Apr-13 09:26:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

To be honest most ISP support seem to ignore MSR/FTR and simply go by what the online checker says the line can support

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 12:31:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I wonder whether it will have set the MSR a the lowest speed at 6dB, or at the initial 15dB.
I'm not clear where you got these NMs from. This connection has never synced with a 15dB NM; it started at 9dB and has reduced to 4.5dB seemingly. Are you saying BTw would have carried over the 20CN history? Surely not!

I'm not convinced the recorded min acceptable sync matters much. I bet mine is low due to Orange messing about with my profile in its early days on WBC, but I'm not worried. Whenever I've complained to my ISP that my line is under-performing from its theoretical (Kitz) speed they have eventually done something about it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 05-Apr-13 13:33:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes and back in the day when my adsl was syncing below my MSR, the engineer shrugged it off and even said he had no idea what my MSR is and didnt care.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 46/20, Current Attainable 74/29
(committed) Fri 05-Apr-13 15:45:47
Print Post

As @XRaySpeX says, it's never synced at a 15db NM highest has been 9, as that was what it was at when it was first plugged in
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 15:59:01
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Point of Net grammar: the '@' is used to direct something at a poster other than the one actually being replied to; not to refer to them by name.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Apr-13 16:06:56
Print Post

Just a slip of the memory, sorry.

The same principle applies, and despite what has since been said about the FTR we do occasionally see posters saying their ISP/BT Wholesale won't do anything because they are still above the FTR.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(committed) Fri 05-Apr-13 18:21:36
Print Post

So, are you saying that the 10 day training should start with my best speed, whereas this time around it didn't since I was initially connected at a 9db NM. So I should restart the 10 days now I am connected at 4.5db?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Apr-13 18:51:58
Print Post

My understanding is that the so called 10 day training simply establishes the slowest acceptable sync speed that your line is capable of, if after that the speed reduces to below that acceptable minimum speed you have a possible fault which should initiate an investigation by the ISP. After the 10 day period your speed can rise and fall, as long as it is faster than the minimum speed, which can be due to changes in noise margins - a change in noise margin alone, that does not cause a reduction of speed to below the minimum, will not start a new "training" period unless the DSL connection has been reset by the ISP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to