User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:19:09
Print Post

Re: Should I ditch O2 for this? - 18 months at £11.10

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

*Yawns* @ Plusnet sales spamdroid.
Standard User partial
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:30:26
Print Post

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

Looks a pretty good deal. If you are out and about, the free wifi hotspots are invaluable and available on every street in the land.

My sources and hunches tell me that there will be an e0 vdsl solution within the contract period.

Edited by partial (Sun 07-Apr-13 21:32:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 22:28:35
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

tongue
The Subject is "Should I ditch O2 for this?".

I only repeated the post because my previous one seemed not to have been noticed by the OP. I wasn't aware that only happy BT customers should answer the question. It isn't exactly the right forum to get a variety of views, is it now smile.

If he doesn't think it's worth pursuing, I have no issue with that. It's his choice. But he must have some doubts, or he wouldn't be asking.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 23:15:37
Print Post

Yeah I believe that is the case. The lady on the phone today said that the over we got through the post, was the best one that was on offer - better than the online one at least.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Mon 08-Apr-13 12:39:02
Print Post

[re: pavvyben] [link to this post]

Thanks pavvyben.

Plusnet aren't an option, I've narrowed it down to BT which is why I'm posting in the BT section of the forums and not the Plusnet section, I'd rather go with BT thanks.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:11:56
Print Post

I'm in total agreement with RobertoS regarding the advantages of Plusnet over BT - further, a no contract deal for the BB and line rental with BT in a contract would be my personal preference. It might be a more expensive option initially but in the long term it could save you a lot of grief. Plusnet support is pretty good, if ever needed, and the ticket system, although from my experience, is not 100% effiicent it will prove to be viable in the end. Line rental with BT would give you the option of changing to another ISP without any problems if in the unlikely event things didn't work out satisfactorily with Plusnet.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:22:10
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

What are the advantages over BT that Plusnet has, other than the shorter contract and slight saving of a few pounds per month?. The 582 router I understand has poor performance in relation to its wireless capability, is the BT Home Hub better in that respect?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:34:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RSV_Ecosse:
What are the advantages over BT that Plusnet has, other than the shorter contract and slight saving of a few pounds per month?. The 582 router I understand has poor performance in relation to its wireless capability, is the BT Home Hub better in that respect?

PN support is very good and the web site is also pretty good imformatively.

If you are really concerned about wireless performance, in the case of the Plusnet deal, then it would probably be better to use your own router - not sure about the BT router but I do hear that folks often dump them...
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(learned) Mon 08-Apr-13 19:42:41
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
*Yawns* @ Plusnet sales spamdroid.

I'm yawning with you, he must be on commission wink
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 08-Apr-13 19:53:07
Print Post

I would say this from observation.

Much cheaper buy out, the figures RobertoS posted are less than half of the BT buy out cost for contract.
Static ip availability on consumer accounts.
UK based support and forum based support.
Overall cheaper price.
If a routing/network problem, it seems one of their head guys is active on forums, whilst at BT it is nigh on impossible to report to the right people due to it been a big organisation where those people are kept away from customers.

Advantages of BT.

Higher network capacity (although this is unproven.)
Easier to get expidited installs/engineers.
No prioritisation on traffic.
Unlimited usage 40/10 service, this is attractive to those with low syncs but still want unlimited use. Or eg. it could be used to keep a dodgy line on fast path whilst keeping unlimited use so eg. if line syncs at 60/13 but has issues with stability, then change to 40/10 service and line has excess snrm making it stable.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 46/20, Current Attainable 74/29
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to