User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:13:30
Print Post

Should I ditch O2 for this? - 18 months at £11.10

[link to this post]

I've requested my MAC from O2 and received it yesterday. This is in preparation for the coming changeover to Sky which I'm not keen on so I've been looking at options.

Last week we had a letter from BT offering their top level Total Broadband package for an 18 month period at £11.10 per month. It looks to me to be a pretty good deal. I've done a speedtest on the BT website and it states I should expect around 14 mbps. I currently get around 16 mbps with O2. I'm on this exchange:-

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESBYB

The exchange looks like its getting Infinity at some point in the future but there's no date specified as yet, I'd change over to that once its activated.

Has anyone else went with this offer?. How have you found it to be in as far as initial change over and speeds etc go?

Thanks.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:20:14
Print Post

Re: Should I ditch O2 for this? - 18 months at £11.10

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

You'll probably find that your current O2 actual speed is a better guide to your BT speed than the BT estimate. You may have slightly different equipment at the exchange after the move as you were probably on the BE/O2 LLU equipment, but the main thing that controls speed is the quality of the line, which will be unchanged.

Oh, and you'll trade the not very good O2 box for the not very good HomeHub; but again that probably won't make much difference either.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 07-Apr-13 10:21:08)

Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 10:23:17
Print Post

I am guessing that the price you quote doesn't include the Line Rental which I think is around £15.00 a month. I am not a great lover of Sky but I understand it's going to be several months before anything changes, and having had the painful experience of BT's "Customer Support" recently I wouldn't personally go anywhere near them. I get about 7.5 megs with O2 and found customer service to be excellent and will stay with them. Everybody is happy when things are working it's when it goes wrong you need a customer service that sorts it out for you instead of spending time explaining over and over again what your problem is because it doesn't fit the script on the screen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 11:00:21
Print Post

I swapped from Be to BT. Speed is the same as with Be and the connection seems, if anything, to be a little more robust. I'm looking forward to fibre which is due to be available in the next couple of months. I'm very pleased with the switch.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 12:13:10
Print Post

The equivalent on Plusnet is £9.99pm (ongoing) if you don't take Plusnet phone, and £4.99pm for the first 12 months if you do, then £9.99pm. Both are 12-month contracts. Line rental gets a discount if you pay the year (for that not the broadband) in advance.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Apr-13 12:14:33)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 12:50:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RSV_Ecosse:
Has anyone else went with this offer?. How have you found it to be in as far as initial change over and speeds etc go?

Thanks.

I went with a previous offer. However the changeover was completed this week.

Had some issues with BT over them mucking up the Order, but did eventually get there.

Just before I left O2 I ran a TBB Speedtest & then, a couple of days after the changeover, I ran it again.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my download throughput speed had jumped by approx 2M (from 16M to 18M).

Obviously, it is still early days but the BT supplied HomeHub appears to be quite competent & I'm getting good WiFi coverage throughout my home.

Regards,
John
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:03:18
Print Post

Last week we had a letter from BT offering their top level Total Broadband package for an 18 month period at £11.10 per month.
You sure this is not their limited 10GB usage package?

They usually only do their special offers on their lowest package. It's price is £6.50 pm for 3 m and then £13. (3 x £6.50 + 9 x £13) /12 = £11.38 pm avg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:15:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Top one on the website is £21, free for six months = £10.50 average. So £11.10 looks strange.

I wonder who the OP's phone is with.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 15:16:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Adding 'Friends & Family International' adds £1.10 per month which would explain the .10p but I can't find the tenner to make £11.10?
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 16:49:40
Print Post

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

To answer a few questions - My phone line is with BT and yes, this price of £11.10 is indeed excluding line rental.

The offer is definitely for their top package, not any of the lower ones or limited download types. The letter outlining the special offer is for current BT customers and is headed 'Our top of the range broadband package for half price'.

The text of the letter reads:-

To thank you for choosing us, we've chosen you for something special. You can get our top of the range broadband package with unlimited UK evening and weekend calls for £11.10 a month, plus your usual line rental throughout.
Normally this costs £26 a month, so you'll be getting it for less than half price. You won't see this offer advertised anywhere. It's only for the handful of people we're writing to.
Here are some of the benefits that set this package apart:-

Unlimited usage. You don't have to worry about exceeding your limit or paying extra. You can download music, watch films and BBC iPlayer and play games - as much as you like.
The latest technology. You get our most reliable wireless signal ever to your laptop, desktop, tablet or phone, thanks to the latest Smart Wireless and 'N' Technology.
BT Home Hub worth £99. Your Home Hub is included. All you pay is £6.95 for delivery.
Free, unlimited wifi minutes. When you're out and about you can avoid expensive data costs by logging on with your smartphone or laptop at over 4.5 million hotspots in the UK and 3 million abroad - the largest wifi network in the world.
Free advanced McAfee Family Protection software worth £44.99, to help keep your children safe online.

Plus unlimited UK Evening and Weekend calls. You can chat away to family and friends every night and all weekend. Unlimited UK evening and weekend calls are all part of the package. And unlimited minutes to 0845 and 0870 numbers are also included within your calling plan times so you can ring companise like banks without worrying about costs.

The small print says:-

Unlimited Broadband. Includes BT Total Broadband Option 3, normally £26 per month. Offer ends 18th April 2013. £11.10 a month then £25.50 a month from month 19. Available by invitation only to new broadband customers who sign up for an 18 month minimum term and already pay BT line rental.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 17:02:04
Print Post

You don't get FTTC until 2014 which could be at the end of 2014 so you could sign up now for the Unlimited BB @ £16/month deal which is free for 6 months making £16 x 12 = £192 over 18 months.

The special deal you are offered is £11.10 x 18 = £199.80 over 18 months
It's not a good deal is it?

Edited by zhango (Sun 07-Apr-13 17:04:42)

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 17:12:59
Print Post

There's only a couple of quid difference I suppose!.

I was in a 'Live Chat' session on the BT website yesterday and they offered me that deal you refer to plus a Sainsburys voucher of some sort as well?.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 17:22:47
Print Post

The Sainsbury voucher was recently £100 then dropped to £50 but is now only £25
Your 'special' deal would be ok if you could get Infinity now but not otherwise
You won't see this offer advertised anywhere. It's only for the handful of people we're writing to.

It does make you sound special!

Edited by zhango (Sun 07-Apr-13 17:23:42)

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 19:34:53
Print Post

Having looked at it again I am fairly certain the package BT have listed on their website at £21 is the one this offer via letter concerns. As the £16 a month package doesn't include unlimited evening AND weekend calls. The package listed at £21 per month does.

So in that case, the £11.10 a month offer does actually look better value.
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:01:29
Print Post

I've literally just switched from BE to BT with the exact deal that you linked.

It looks pretty decent value all in all, and with BE/O2 going to Sky, and the capacity problems I have with BE in my area, I'm glad to be moving.

I'm on an EO line, which is 400m in length to the exchange. So I'm expecting around 20mbps, which is what I currently get from BE, but with the lower upload speed.

Apparently if fibre turns up in your area, you can upgrade even if you're in a current contract with me, but you'll obviously pay more money per month.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:11:51
Print Post

[re: pavvyben] [link to this post]

@pavvyben - The deal you moved to with BT, do you mean the one at £11.10 for 18 months?.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:20:41
Print Post

Sorry I missed the call package but it's not the Unlimited BB Extra @£21 deal - that does have the Eve & WE calls included but also has the 50GB BT Cloud.

You can add the Eve & WE calls to the £16 deal by adding £3.30/month. This would then be £19.30/month but I think the free for 6 months only applies to the BB part so 18 month cost would be £192 + (£3.30 x 18) = £251.40

So you are right that the £11.10 deal is better for the first 18 months but after that you are paying £25.50 instead of £19.30. If by that time you can get Infinity then it depends which package you get - £23/month or £26/month?.

I was recently tempted to switch to BT myself so anyone's experience does interest me.
Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:57:49
Print Post

Yep, the exact deal you quoted.

I got the same letter as you from BT.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:59:45
Print Post

Thanks. And is it their 'Top broadband package' as in the one on the website currently showing as £21 per month?.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:01:45
Print Post

And as I said before none of it makes sense compared to Plusnet unless the other contents of the package such as the cloud space matters. And even that comes very cheap if you have to buy it yourself.

Standard User partial
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:19:09
Print Post

*Yawns* @ Plusnet sales spamdroid.
Standard User partial
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:30:26
Print Post

Looks a pretty good deal. If you are out and about, the free wifi hotspots are invaluable and available on every street in the land.

My sources and hunches tell me that there will be an e0 vdsl solution within the contract period.

Edited by partial (Sun 07-Apr-13 21:32:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 22:28:35
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

tongue
The Subject is "Should I ditch O2 for this?".

I only repeated the post because my previous one seemed not to have been noticed by the OP. I wasn't aware that only happy BT customers should answer the question. It isn't exactly the right forum to get a variety of views, is it now smile.

If he doesn't think it's worth pursuing, I have no issue with that. It's his choice. But he must have some doubts, or he wouldn't be asking.

Standard User pavvyben
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 23:15:37
Print Post

Yeah I believe that is the case. The lady on the phone today said that the over we got through the post, was the best one that was on offer - better than the online one at least.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Mon 08-Apr-13 12:39:02
Print Post

Thanks pavvyben.

Plusnet aren't an option, I've narrowed it down to BT which is why I'm posting in the BT section of the forums and not the Plusnet section, I'd rather go with BT thanks.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:11:56
Print Post

I'm in total agreement with RobertoS regarding the advantages of Plusnet over BT - further, a no contract deal for the BB and line rental with BT in a contract would be my personal preference. It might be a more expensive option initially but in the long term it could save you a lot of grief. Plusnet support is pretty good, if ever needed, and the ticket system, although from my experience, is not 100% effiicent it will prove to be viable in the end. Line rental with BT would give you the option of changing to another ISP without any problems if in the unlikely event things didn't work out satisfactorily with Plusnet.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:22:10
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

What are the advantages over BT that Plusnet has, other than the shorter contract and slight saving of a few pounds per month?. The 582 router I understand has poor performance in relation to its wireless capability, is the BT Home Hub better in that respect?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:34:39
Print Post

What are the advantages over BT that Plusnet has, other than the shorter contract and slight saving of a few pounds per month?. The 582 router I understand has poor performance in relation to its wireless capability, is the BT Home Hub better in that respect?

PN support is very good and the web site is also pretty good imformatively.

If you are really concerned about wireless performance, in the case of the Plusnet deal, then it would probably be better to use your own router - not sure about the BT router but I do hear that folks often dump them...
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(learned) Mon 08-Apr-13 19:42:41
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:

I'm yawning with you, he must be on commission wink
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 08-Apr-13 19:53:07
Print Post

I would say this from observation.

Much cheaper buy out, the figures RobertoS posted are less than half of the BT buy out cost for contract.
Static ip availability on consumer accounts.
UK based support and forum based support.
Overall cheaper price.
If a routing/network problem, it seems one of their head guys is active on forums, whilst at BT it is nigh on impossible to report to the right people due to it been a big organisation where those people are kept away from customers.

Advantages of BT.

Higher network capacity (although this is unproven.)
Easier to get expidited installs/engineers.
No prioritisation on traffic.
Unlimited usage 40/10 service, this is attractive to those with low syncs but still want unlimited use. Or eg. it could be used to keep a dodgy line on fast path whilst keeping unlimited use so eg. if line syncs at 60/13 but has issues with stability, then change to 40/10 service and line has excess snrm making it stable.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 46/20, Current Attainable 74/29
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 20:34:02
Print Post

[re: Rebeldiamond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rebeldiamond:
In reply to a post by partial:

I'm yawning with you, he must be on commission wink

If somebody is on a Market 2/3 (low cost area) exchange surely the current PM unlimited BB prices starting from £4.99pm are worth mentioning in this thread. There will of course be pros and cons for each when comparing PN and BT but I don't see how "yawning" and accusing another poster of being on a commission in such a blunt manner is useful for the OP.
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(learned) Mon 08-Apr-13 20:41:00
Print Post

If it was just this thread then yes i'd agree but it's everywhere :/
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Apr-13 20:50:25
Print Post

[re: Rebeldiamond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rebeldiamond:
If it was just this thread then yes i'd agree but it's everywhere :/

Everywhere?

If a deal is good then in all likelihood it will be mentioned frequently or are you suggesting that there is some sort of PN promotional “fan boy” thing going on?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 08-Apr-13 21:26:37
Print Post

A reply in general, not to 4M2 specifically.

I suggest the discussion of Plusnet stops. It doesn't help the OP nor anyone else. But thanks to the people who have to some degree defended my posts.

I made what seemed to me a perfectly sensible initial post, giving an answer to the question in the Subject. That appeared not to have been noticed by the OP, so I did a bump. Then all hell broke loose, so I explained that bump.

Since then the OP has ruled out Plusnet. (No specified reasons - and no way he needs to give any if he doesn't wish to). From another comment he made, he also seems to have ruled out any alternative other than staying where he is. Which long-term he can't but short-term several have opted to do. A lot could change between now and the Sky takeover having any direct effects on customers.

He seems to have modified the question to merely wondering if there is a better deal on BT than the one he has been offered. Or at least, that is the question all BT customers seem to be answering.

There probably isn't, unless he qualifies for a cashback deal. If he has a BT Retail phone line then it will only be small, even if there is one.

I do feel the attacks on me in this thread, for such innocuous and directly relevant posts, indicate a lack of security in the posters regarding their own choice of ISP.

Plusnet has faults. BT Retail has faults. I'm happy to discuss PN's anywhere. It seems that as far as the BT users in this thread are concerned BT Retail has no faults. Hmmm.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 08-Apr-13 21:29:31)

Standard User zhango
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 17:13:15
Print Post

Keep posting Roberto - you're helping a lot of guys.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sat 13-Apr-13 09:01:46
Print Post

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, appreciate it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to