User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 01:39:25
Print Post

Re: Infinity Options

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Been offered free activation with Sky FTTC buy they estimate that my line will support 29Mb.
Currently on Sky BB Unlimited getting 18Mb on day 7 of training, is it worth paying the extra £12.50 for such small gain.

What I don't understand is that I get a good speed on ADSL where the line is longer yet my speeds on fibre wouldn't be that great and the copper wire only runs from the street cab. I must be missing something here...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Apr-13 01:43:50
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

That estimate is almost twice as fast as your ADSL and the upload will be ten times as fast presumably.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Fri 19-Apr-13 17:54:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, that was a horrible generalisation on my part but I think it could possibly be apt. AFAIK BT don't allow you to have BB service from them without a phone-line and they're the largest provider. TT and Sky are both full LLU, so you have to take phone from them too.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Down 73.6 Up 9.7

Edited by Crusiux (Fri 19-Apr-13 18:26:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Apr-13 18:17:09
Print Post

Are you on the SKY ADSL option at 18M. paying £7.50ish If so, the move to FTTC should be a LOT faster. I had 6M adsl speed and then went to 40M on Fibre.

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Apr-13 18:58:57
Print Post

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Crusiux:
AFAIK BT don't allow you to have BB service from them without a phone-line
They do allow BB on any other WLR line, but only by phoning them up to order.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:28:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah okay, bit archaic of them to force you to phone up (Exercise in frustration given my personal experiences) although I suppose it helps them lure you into taking their phone service.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Down 73.6 Up 9.7
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

When did you know someone successfully use this route?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:05:42
Print Post

Depends on the distance to the cabinet, estimate of 29 Meg suggests around 900 m between cabinet and home.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:32:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not me personally, but (you may have to be a member to see):
What broadband packages can I get?
BT offers a vast range of options from broadband-only deals that are available by phone and not advertised online, to broadband and phone deals, fibre broadband and packages that include TV.
I have, however, tried to get a BT BB only added to my existing BT phone plan, cuz of my existing discounts which I'd lose in a BB package, and was refused. That's when they told me that they only do BB only on other providers' WLR lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to