User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 15:41:40
Print Post

Infinity Options

[link to this post]

What is the difference between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2?

The reason I ask is that when using the checker and start the order process I am given an estimate speed of 29.7Mb and 5.6Mb but this doesn't change when I go to order Infinity 2 :/ The only difference is price, why go for Infinity 2 when the speeds are no better than Infinity 1 and pay more?

Am I missing something and do you get anything extra with Infinity 2 that you don't get with 1?

Thanks

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:00:51
Print Post

Re: Infinity Options

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Infinity 2 increase the cap but if you are on a longer line then the cap going from 40Mb to 80Mb will make no difference if you can't achieve more than 40 anyway.

You may still get a benefit on the upstream. My connection was estimated as 40 down and 6.5 up - I get 50 down and 20 up - so the upstream is worth the extra to me. Until you get connected though it is a guess as to whether you may actually get any more than the 40/10 that Infinity 1 would give you anyway.

Other than that the differences are minor and published on the bt website - but think it is pretty much just the increased BT vault storage.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:08:28
Print Post

Infinity 1 is up to 38 Meg while 2 is up to 76 Meg.

So if you are so far from cab that you can't get more than 38 Meg then there is no point in buying Infinity 2. Indeed you would probably only buy Infinity 2 if you could get more than 45 Meg say.

However, the checker's estimates are often underestimates so it would be worthwhile in your case to start on Infinity 1 and consider upgrading to 2 if you hit the cap on 1.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:19:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Many thanks peeps smile

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:28:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Infinity 1 is up to 38 Meg while 2 is up to 76 Meg.

Also there is no longer any Infinity 1, all services are provided at the upto 76Meg speeds.

However there IS a lower cost product with a 40GB usage limit, and slower speeds. This isn't the old "infinity 1" its a lower cost product.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:30:54
Print Post

As the others have said, no speed difference for you if you go for 'Unlimited Infinity 1'.
I think 'basic' Infinity 1 has a throttle on p2p still, and also a usage limit.

Infinity 1 gives 2GB in BT Cloud rather than 50GB on Infinity 2.
BT Cloud isn't ready as a serious solution to anything yet, so I wouldn't pay extra for that.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:44:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Also there is no longer any Infinity 1
That's not what they advertise on their website. There is still:
Unlimited BT Infinity 1

Unlimited wi-fi
BT SmartTalk
BT Family Protection
BT Home Hub
2GB BT Cloud
BT NetProtect Plus
18 month contract
Fibre optic

Up to
38Mb
download speed

Up to 9.5Mb
upload speed

What's Totally Unlimited?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:53:52
Print Post

Don't forget that Infinity 1 has a £30 activation charge.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:21:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
That's not what they advertise on their website. There is still:
Unlimited BT Infinity 1

Typical, that website keeps changing. My bad. :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:23)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:43:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's true! It narrows the price gap between the 2. You only save £27 over 18m by going Option 1 rather than £57.

(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:55:42
Print Post

For me it clearly shows
-- BT Infinity Optiion 1 -- £18 <<< 38/9.5, 40GB per month + p2p throttling (not clearly shown)
-- Unlimited Infinity Optiion 1 -- £23 <<< unlimited, no throttling, 38/9.5
-- Unlimited Infinity Optiion 2 -- £26 <<< unlimited, no throttling, 76/19, also extra BT Cloud

(all with introductory discounts)

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 21:49:43
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Yes, it does show all that. What's your point?

My point was:
  • Unlimited Infinity Option 1 = £423 for 18m
  • Unlimited Infinity Option 2 = £450 for 18m

(committed) Sat 13-Apr-13 09:53:34
Print Post

Just clarifying and emphasizing that there was both 'Infinity 1' and 'Unlimited Infinity 1'.
The thread had glossed over that difference a little (maybe on the assumption that OP was bound to want unlimited),
and I thought it possible that for some odd reason (any 'reason' on the BT website is usually pretty odd) the same fairly clear detail wasn't showing for some people.

--
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 13-Apr-13 12:40:26
Print Post

Both Infinity 1 packages carry a £30 activation charge.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(committed) Sat 13-Apr-13 13:48:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I assume you have also considered other ISPs, especially PlusNet?

--
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Apr-13 14:43:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I assume you have also considered other ISPs, especially PlusNet?
Plusnet have a £50.00 install charge (for FTTC only orders) and charge £4.99 to post a router that you may or may not need or want But the monthly fee is less and you can have a static IP for a one off fee of £5, which should be free ,as it is with some other ISP's

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sat 13-Apr-13 14:48:20
Print Post

I've just moved to Infinity 2 and what persuaded me to BT over Plusnet was the added goodies that BT provides. It's more expensive but the hotspot access is invaluable to me personally and I do make use of BT Cloud and Smart Talk. Based on the OP's estimate though, Infinity 2 isn't really of any use to you and I'd go with unlimited Infinity 1 if your hearts set on BT. Plusnet may be the better option if you don't want the value adds.

Patiently waiting for the day when I can order FTTC : /
BT [6.8Mbps Download] [0.7Mbps Upload]

Edited by Crusiux (Sat 13-Apr-13 15:00:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Apr-13 15:34:17
Print Post

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Crusiux:
... and I do make use of BT Cloud and Smart Talk.
You don't need BT Broadband to have Smart Talk. Just a BT landline.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sat 13-Apr-13 19:12:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

True, but most opt for the cheaper bundled packages rather than have two separate providers for voice and broadband.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Down 73.6 Up 9.7
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Apr-13 22:56:32
Print Post

Do they? tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 01:39:25
Print Post

Been offered free activation with Sky FTTC buy they estimate that my line will support 29Mb.
Currently on Sky BB Unlimited getting 18Mb on day 7 of training, is it worth paying the extra £12.50 for such small gain.

What I don't understand is that I get a good speed on ADSL where the line is longer yet my speeds on fibre wouldn't be that great and the copper wire only runs from the street cab. I must be missing something here...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Apr-13 01:43:50
Print Post

That estimate is almost twice as fast as your ADSL and the upload will be ten times as fast presumably.

Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Fri 19-Apr-13 17:54:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, that was a horrible generalisation on my part but I think it could possibly be apt. AFAIK BT don't allow you to have BB service from them without a phone-line and they're the largest provider. TT and Sky are both full LLU, so you have to take phone from them too.

Edited by Crusiux (Fri 19-Apr-13 18:26:40)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Apr-13 18:17:09
Print Post

Are you on the SKY ADSL option at 18M. paying £7.50ish If so, the move to FTTC should be a LOT faster. I had 6M adsl speed and then went to 40M on Fibre.

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Apr-13 18:58:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Crusiux:
AFAIK BT don't allow you to have BB service from them without a phone-line
They do allow BB on any other WLR line, but only by phoning them up to order.

Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:28:06
Print Post

Ah okay, bit archaic of them to force you to phone up (Exercise in frustration given my personal experiences) although I suppose it helps them lure you into taking their phone service.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:02
Print Post

When did you know someone successfully use this route?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:05:42
Print Post

Depends on the distance to the cabinet, estimate of 29 Meg suggests around 900 m between cabinet and home.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:32:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not me personally, but (you may have to be a member to see):
What broadband packages can I get?
BT offers a vast range of options from broadband-only deals that are available by phone and not advertised online, to broadband and phone deals, fibre broadband and packages that include TV.
I have, however, tried to get a BT BB only added to my existing BT phone plan, cuz of my existing discounts which I'd lose in a BB package, and was refused. That's when they told me that they only do BB only on other providers' WLR lines.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to