User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Apr-13 15:15:27
Print Post

Re: A Live Mail CLIENT comes in handy!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I had a colleague who had a laptop stolen with lots of stored passwords in various programs. He thought he was safe but decided to change them about 3 days later. Guess what!! That was in the days of XP which had a hidden Admin account that had no password by default. Not too sure if 7 and 8 have the same setup.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User scopio
(member) Fri 19-Apr-13 15:26:36
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
Guess what!! That was in the days of XP which had a hidden Admin account that had no password by default. Not too sure if 7 and 8 have the same setup.

Which raises the question, how secure are OS? Hackers today find ways to get to passwords and more, they are programmers after all!

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 7 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2294066895.png[/IMG]
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13620...
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2654086928.png
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Fri 19-Apr-13 19:33:25
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

You can have a password on any account, just Inset windows recovery CD and you can remove the password...

Administrator accounts by default don't require a password, though you have the option to set one when installing the OS.

It's best to use password manager software that encrypts your password.

Edited by ryant704 (Fri 19-Apr-13 19:35:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Apr-13 06:44:17
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Do Win7/8 have a hidden unprotected Admin account?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 20-Apr-13 09:46:56
Print Post

Re: A Live Mail account comes in handy!

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I agree with you mainly except, that I think people should get a real address from a provider such as 1&1 that people can recognise as you, they don't cost that much, a few pounds every 2 years for a .co.uk or .me.uk address, then have anything else forwarded to that address, by all means set up a free gmail, as well

Also by setting up your own address means that you can use different names in front of the @MyName.me.uk so other members of your family can have their own address and you can use a special ones for all the web sites you visit, I tend to use things like [email protected], it's a good way to find out if they are selling your details/have bad security.

I still use Thunderbird/IMAP for my every day use and only use webmail for when I am away from home, I think TB has a better filtering system.

I haven't used ISP mail addresses for outgoing mail since ISDN (HH) first became available

PS Over 60 smile

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Edited by The_Voyager (Sat 20-Apr-13 09:49:16)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Apr-13 11:08:32
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
Do Win7/8 have a hidden unprotected Admin account?

Win7 has an administrator account but its disabled and unusable, unless you manually go in and enable it. Don't know Win8 but expect the same.

In corporate we enable this account, set a strong password, and join to the domain, then have no other local accounts.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-13 19:29:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Win7 has an administrator account but its disabled and unusable,
Have you checked in Safe Mode whether it is available? On XP & Vista it does not appear on normal Welcome screen but does in Safe Mode.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Apr-13 22:21:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Win7 has an administrator account but its disabled and unusable,
Have you checked in Safe Mode whether it is available? On XP & Vista it does not appear on normal Welcome screen but does in Safe Mode.

Welcome screen? we disable and have full username and password entry.

What shows on welcome screen isn't reliable. On XP you used to be able to on just after boot press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and skip to an old style login dialog and enter any valid credentials. Haven't tried on 7/8.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-13 22:28:34
Print Post

Welcome screen?
That wasn't the point! Whatever you use to login. The point was about Safe Mode and the availability of the "hidden" Administrator a/c.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 20-Apr-13 22:47:46)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-13 22:47:18
Print Post

On XP you used to be able to on just after boot press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and skip to an old style login dialog and enter any valid credentials.
Yes, you get a login dialogue box upon hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL twice but it only accepts valid credentials. What did you mean by "any valid credentials"? If they are valid, what's the problem?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to