User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Apr-13 08:36:19
Print Post

Re: A Live Mail CLIENT comes in handy!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'd forgotten that it was accessed in Safe Mode. Any point in enabling it in Win 7? I have my own account which has admin credentials and I don't expect I'll forget my password. It's PASSWORD. (Only joking!) On a more serious note, do the User Account passwords ever get corrupted and prevent access?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Apr-13 13:41:55
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
I'd forgotten that it was accessed in Safe Mode. Any point in enabling it in Win 7?
There is a point of logging into Administrator in Safe Mode and giving it a password, to prevent anyone else logging in unchallenged in Safe Mode.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Apr-13 14:32:10
Print Post

I'd forgotten that it was accessed in Safe Mode. Any point in enabling it in Win 7?
There is a point of logging into Administrator in Safe Mode and giving it a password, to prevent anyone else logging in unchallenged in Safe Mode.

Assuming you have the computer management GUI (or the net user command line tool), you can change any password without having to be in safe mode.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ryant704
(member) Sun 21-Apr-13 14:48:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It's disabled in Win7 and doesn't appear on SafeMode unless you have activated it manually.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Apr-13 16:20:40
Print Post

Unless your hard drive is encrypted, passwords on Windows machines will only deter the most casual hacker. Boot the PC with a linux disc and you have full read (at least) access to the hard drive without a password in sight!
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Apr-13 19:28:33
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
It's disabled in Win7 and doesn't appear on SafeMode unless you have activated it manually.

Sheesh I posted that before wink

net user administrator /active:yes

smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to