User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 07:48:39
Print Post

BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade

[link to this post]

I am a little cunfused, I have 3 @btinternet.com addresses delivering to windows live mail. All 3 addresses are checked daily for messages.
I occasionally go to bt yahoo web page to check the spam folder.I don't have a BT yahoo mail program on my computer.Fearful of losing my email and addresses, This is what I asked BT.
" I use "windows live mail"on my computer and only occasionally go to bt yahoo web page to check the spam folder. Will I still get my mail on "windows live mail" or do I have to update."
This is the reply I got.
"From the email sent to us regarding the updating to new btyahoo webmail,It is mandatory to update to new version whether you use windows mail on the bt yahoo mail.
I would request you to check the below links which would give you the information to new terms and conditions and also the information regarding to updating to new version."

If I understand this correctly not only am I forced to change my "email program" but also accept new conditions as well. Surely it cant be "MANDATORY".

HELP please
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:10:56
Print Post

Re: BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade

[re: spud3607] [link to this post]

I'm not aware of any requirement (mandatory or otherwise) that requires you to use a specific Email Client or Web-Access Browser!

BT have issued some revised T&Cs requiring that all Email Accounts should be checked/read within 150days, but that can be via any chosen Client/Browser.

Please refer to Mr Saffron's post, on this subject:-
LINKY

Regards,
John
Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:53:37
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I got that email too, via Outlook . I was immediately suspicious because a link took you to the BTYahoo log in frame. I'm not sure that BT or Yahoo would send you emails asking for you to use your log in details. That is bad practice.

To be sure I logged in via my usual method by going to the BtYahoo site myself. There was absolutely no sign of any upgrade requirement. This pretty well confirmed to me that this was a sophisticated Phishing attempt. So, I forward the email to Yahoo's phishing department.

If you logged on using the email link I would advise you to change your password pronto!

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 25-Apr-13 09:40:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:33:34
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I got that email too, via Outlook
Nobody here said they received such an email! Also the 150 days unused a/c's has already been covered.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:41:55
Print Post

Re: BT yahoo mail "MANDATORY" ? upgrade *DELETED*

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, repeated information removed. I just wondered if there was a connection.

This is the email I got. It has a link to the BT log on page. This is bad security practice if it comes from BT.

Your Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail is closing.
You need to upgrade now

Hello,

The Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will be replaced by our new version on 3 June 2013. So it's time to upgrade, before you lose your email access.

When you upgrade your BT Yahoo! Mail
Your email service won't be affected and you'll keep all your old contacts, folders and messages. Plus you'll get:
• faster email
• the latest spam protection
• unlimited email storage.
How you upgrade
Click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll also need to agree to some new terms and conditions.

Upgrade BT Yahoo! Mail

If your browser displays a message saying it won't support the new version of BT Yahoo! Mail, you'll need to update your browser (it's easy and free) then you can go on to upgrade.

If you don't upgrade now
If you want to carry on getting your emails, you need to upgrade now, because the Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail will stop working after 3 June.

Got a question?
For more information, help or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/newmail.

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service

This BTW is the actual link. Don't use it to log on if you are with BT Yahoo. I don't trust it. I doesn't look right either. Bogus link?

This is what the real one looks like.
The real BT Yahoo log on page.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 25-Apr-13 09:59:05)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:46:59
Print Post

I recieved this one on Tuesday.

What is interesting that I have not used this email at all since going back to BT 2 years ago and it has a permament forward on it to my own domain email.

So the question is who managed to get hold of this address if it is not been used if it isn't BT?

Looks like the rumors of Yahoo being hacked may be correct.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:00:14
Print Post

That's just about changing the BT Yahoo Webmail interface. The OP was concerned about his existing BT email addys and accessing them from a mail client on his PC, which is not changing.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:01:09
Print Post

Hi thanks for the replies.I'm not sure how I got to asking about this, but I do know I didn't log in to btyahoo either on the link or via my browser.
Links from the original mail go to :- http://[removed co uk domain]/r.emt?h=mrd.mail.yahoo.com
Links from the reply go to :- http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/ etc

Still not sure it was phishing. But am happy to leave everything as is.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 26-Apr-13 11:40:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:03:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by spud3607:
I don't have a BT yahoo mail program on my computer
There isn't such a beast! BT Yahoo! Mail is Webmail accessed thro' your browser.

Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:08:10
Print Post

Yes, but is it a legit email? The actual BT Yahoo log on page is different with no options to log on with Facebook or other accounts. See the two links at the bottom of my reply above.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:48:23
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
I'm not aware of any requirement (mandatory or otherwise) that requires you to use a specific Email Client or Web-Access Browser!

BT have issued some revised T&Cs requiring that all Email Accounts should be checked/read within 150days, but that can be via any chosen Client/Browser.

Please refer to Mr Saffron's post, on this subject:-
LINKY

i thought Bt sent their spam to their customers via BT yahoo? when I was with Bt a few years back, I asked if they could send any info to another email address, but they said they can only send it via my Bt address. so if they knock people off for not using the email service, how are they going to send their spam?

It was spam, all I used to get was emails telling me I could get Btvision and that sort of thing.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:50:12
Print Post

Having just spoken, yes spoken!, to BT it appears the first email was phishing.
However because I use "windows live mail" I will have to "log in" via my browser every 150 days to keep my account open.This is mandatory. They say they will be sending reminders out about 120-130 days, lets hope so. BT and I will be parting company if they close my email account.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 11:02:24
Print Post

This may well be tied up with the big Yahoo hack which has now reached 47 pages on BT's own forum and which appears to be entering a second phase: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-email...
The annoying thing is that despite hundreds of complaints BT is saying nothing to its many customers who are still being affected.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 11:04:39
Print Post

However because I use "windows live mail" I will have to "log in" via my browser every 150 days to keep my account open.
No, you won't!
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Polling via POP3, using web mail or if you have an auto-forward set-up all count as using the service, and reset the counter.
Don't worry, your email account will keep working as long as:

•you continue to log in and use it from your computer email software (such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird)

Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 11:38:45
Print Post

Whether your right or not ,and I hope you are, this has been very badly handled by BT.
I have an innate mistrust of large firms like BT,Tesco,ect, and so have marked my calendar for 140/150 days from now. Sadly if you are right I wont receive an email reminder and if your wrong and they forget to send one I could lose out.
I wish BT would send out an email with some clarification about this, not "dear customer" but "Mr/Mrs (account holders name)"
I so hope you are right.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 11:44:29
Print Post

How can I not be right? It's in black & white on BT website.

Surely you don't believe what phone CS told you? You know all ISPs' call centres are prone to get things wrong? I bet he wasn't even in UK.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 12:41:56
Print Post

Whether your right or not ,and I hope you are, this has been very badly handled by BT.
I have an innate mistrust of large firms like BT,Tesco,ect, and so have marked my calendar for 140/150 days from now. Sadly if you are right I wont receive an email reminder and if your wrong and they forget to send one I could lose out.
I wish BT would send out an email with some clarification about this, not "dear customer" but "Mr/Mrs (account holders name)"
I so hope you are right.

Just refer to the BT information Page (link as per Mr Saffron's original posting):-

Changes to email terms and conditions

From 17 June 2013, the terms and conditions for accessing the email that comes with your BT Broadband – BT Yahoo! Mail will change.

All BT Broadband customers have a BT Yahoo! Mail address (usually ending in @btinternet.com or @openworld.com), but not everyone wants to use it. So we've decided to close email accounts that haven't been used for more than 150 days. To do this, we need to change our terms.

After 17 June 2013 we will begin to close email accounts that haven’t been used for more than 150 days. This will delete the email address and all the contents of the mailbox.

Don't worry, your email account will keep working as long as:

you continue to log in and use it from bt.yahoo.com, or
you continue to log in and use it from your computer email software (such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird), or your mobile email software, or
you have Auto Forward set up.

If you haven’t used your email account since 18 Jan 2013, or if you’re not sure when you last logged in – and still want to keep it – just log in before 17 June and at least once every 150 days after.

As far I am concerned that means you can access it via ANY Email Program (NOT just Yahoo Web-Mail) and/or have it auto-forwarded! If you do that, you will be complying with BT's requirements will NOT have your A/Cs deleted!

Regards,
John
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 12:57:39
Print Post

The think is that there is two issues going on here which BT/Yahoo haven't been particulary clear upon.

17th June sees the new 150 day counter coming into effect.

3rd June sees the new web interface coming online and you need to accept new T&C's to allow this. Which is on the BT website.

BT haven't made exactly clear what is going on and even the two webpages on the BT website relating to this aren't being particulary helpful.

If they were going to have two changes in such a close timeframe perhaps just one announcement with a single webpage for help would have been the sensible thing.

Edited by undecidedadrian (Thu 25-Apr-13 12:58:15)

Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:22:30
Print Post

Having just spoken, yes spoken!, to BT it appears the first email was phishing.
However because I use "windows live mail" I will have to "log in" via my browser every 150 days to keep my account open.This is mandatory. They say they will be sending reminders out about 120-130 days, lets hope so. BT and I will be parting company if they close my email account.

Thanks for the vindication SPUD.

(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:30:31
Print Post

Hi thanks for the replies.I'm not sure how I got to asking about this, but I do know I didn't log in to btyahoo either on the link or via my browser.
Links from the original mail go to :- http://email.planing-inc.co.uk/r.emt?h=mrd.mail.yaho...
Links from the reply go to :- http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/ etc

Still not sure it was phishing. But am happy to leave everything as is.

email.planning.inc-co.uk are a company BT use to send out email and to handle stuff like this for quite a few years.

AND they have been REPEATEDLY told to stop sending out phising like emails but until BT actually get off their backside and stop using them I suppose they will still do it.
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:06:57
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

do you have a link for the "3rd of June web interface" please
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:21:50
Print Post

www.bt.com/help/newmail

which itself redirects to this webpage

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34259...

it's all well and good using page redirects but it can get confusing as to what it going where
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:26:32
Print Post

going to

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9191/...

it says that BT will NEVER ask you to follow a link to very your address and then it lists

http://email.planning-inc.co.uk/

as a valid contact from BT who we have seen this week doing something that BT says it won't do.

It really makes you wonder what is happening inside these big companies.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:48:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
email.planning.inc-co.uk are a company BT use to send out email and to handle stuff like this for quite a few years.

AND they have been REPEATEDLY told to stop sending out phising like emails but until BT actually get off their backside and stop using them I suppose they will still do it.
The link Spud posted earlier, which I assume was copy/pasted not hand-typed, contains "planing" not "Planning". If he typed it, then OK it's a typo. If copy/pasted it's a phishing job.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:04:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well spotted!

The link Spud posted earlier is dead. The correctly spelled link: http://email.planning-inc.co.uk/r.emt?h=mrd.mail.yah... leads to the pukka BT Yahoo page: https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.src=ym

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 25-Apr-13 17:08:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Apr-13 11:42:38
Print Post

No idea if the original link that I've broke was dodgy or not, but rather than have people click it and fall victim have removed it.

THE RULE FOR LINKS IN EMAILS:

1. Never click it
2. Open your web browser and goto the link manually by typing it or following a short cut you have made yourself

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:46:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have just seen a couple of the emails and they include the link which includes: ...planning-inc.co.uk/...

I agree that the email from BT goes against their own advice but it does actually take the user to the real Yahoo front page and all that BT are asking is for users to "upgrade" within Yahoo if they have not already done so. Yahoo has been asking users to do so for a long, long time and this is probably a final reminder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User elevator
(regular) Fri 26-Apr-13 16:50:13
Print Post

I have few of these emails when you look at the address for the given link for the changes not sure where goes but its not BT or Yahoo just delete them
Standard User Colin_London
(member) Tue 30-Apr-13 21:52:40
Print Post

Yep - leads me to conclude their marketing department can do what they want.

So this email is NOT phishing, but goes against all the 'good internet practice' information that they have been trying to get users to understand for years.

To make things worse their 'help' page is distinctly unhelpful if you never used the old webmail.

I only use BT Yahoo! Mail on a mobile device, tablet or via POP. What should I do?

We suggest you go to http://bt.overview.mail.yahoo.com/ on your computer to find out more about the upgrade and the great new features on offer, then review and agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. If you only access your BT Yahoo! Mail on a mobile device, tablet or via POP then once you've upgraded you'll still be able to continue accessing your email as you do today.

If you go to that link and login, and you are already using the new version (because that is all you have ever used since you joined and know no different) you just go to the same page you have always seen, and there are no new Terms & Conditions to accept as far as I can see. You just get put through to your inbox - which makes you suspect even more you have been phished.

BT - I never used 'old webmail' but have received your email. What, pray, am I supposed to be upgrading here, and if it's just agreeing new Ts & Cs how the blooming heck do I do that??

Edited by Colin_London (Tue 30-Apr-13 22:46:16)

Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 30-Apr-13 23:56:36
Print Post

This change (upgrade) is exactly the same (except for the BT logo dressing) as that being made compulsory for people with ordinary Yahoo email accounts. I have an ordinary Yahoo email account, which I get POP delivered. I also converted to the new Yahoo mail interface (for the occasional times I go there to check spam etc), and it's fine.

AFAIK with Yahoo mail accounts, you do need to access them or they close them down. You can usually reinstate the account, but I do believe you lose whatever was there.

So this seems to be driven my Yahoo, not BT. If you POP access the account there is no problem, though I don't know what happens if you have any contacts in the BTYahoo interface (best not to as if the account gets hacked into, they can't get to them).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User enigma1810
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 14:38:35
Print Post

I had this but it just didnt look quite right, ( go to forward it and look at the sender e-mail address) eventually got I through to BT yahoo who confirmed it is a sophisticated Phishing e-mail they are investigating and not to follow the threads. I have as requested sent it on to the e-mail address the opererative gave me. Was hassle getting through to someone, but worth the effort !
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to