User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 03-May-13 21:38:36
Print Post

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

well was both.

Although now with the news CGN can be opted out its reverted to just static ip issue.

Of course in future BT may change their stance on CGN. As now its early days.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-May-13 13:11:21
Print Post

Update

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Have enquired about it affecting more than Option 1 ADSL2+ customers, but in the meantime if someone thinks they are, and their public IP tracks back to an IP block that shows CG-NAT in the organisation I would like to see a screenshot.

We are also checking with BT what IP blocks are used, then we can add a message to the speed tester to give a very simple way for people to identify if on the pilot or not. Plus also look at whether speeds are any different compared to the standard userbase.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 13:19:30
Print Post

Re: Update

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It would be interesting to hear BT's take on IP address sharing and identifying copyright infringement too.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 04-May-13 14:43:46
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

They will still have records your external WAN IP and the locally provided 100.64.0.xxx against time and could still identify users from that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 14:59:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
They will still have records your external WAN IP and the locally provided 100.64.0.xxx against time and could still identify users from that.

The company claiming copyright infringement would just have an IP address. When they present that to BT, how would BT know which customer was file sharing? BT would literally have to log every single TCP and UDP connection, and the company would have to provide the IP address the customer is alledged to have uploaded to.

Oliver.
Standard User zom22
(newbie) Sat 04-May-13 16:25:46
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Well, if it is going to be as difficult as you say to ID the real user of any down/up load streams at any one moment then rather than customers being outraged by the imposition of GCNAT we will find that everyone will be pleading to be put ON GCNAT as it will make their internet activities illegal and otherwise totally impossible to pin on them.

I suspect the reality is rather different.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 16:35:06
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zom22:
Well, if it is going to be as difficult as you say to ID the real user of any down/up load streams at any one moment then rather than customers being outraged by the imposition of GCNAT we will find that everyone will be pleading to be put ON GCNAT as it will make their internet activities illegal and otherwise totally impossible to pin on them.

Quite possibly. There are already users who prefer to be on dynamic IP addresses in the hope it will make their activities less identifiable. That of course isn't going to help because ISPs log which customer uses which WAN IP at any given time.

Under CG-NAT they might desire the same, but as BT would have 10 users using a given WAN IP at any given time, in this case it would indeed make them less identifiable.

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 04-May-13 16:50:23
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

that could happen, we already get people who are unhappy with VM's sticky ip's who post on VM's forums trying to get a new dynamic ip because I assume they have done something naughty.

Although with the recent attention brought to copyright infringement it wouldnt surprise me if BT have got a way of tracking these sort of things to users.

logging established connection points but not the content's probably isnt that hard to do.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 16:54:53
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
logging established connection points but not the content's probably isnt that hard to do.

Would be interesting to know if any ISP logs every single TCP and UDP connection for every single customer. That's a significant amount of data to store, and considering how long it takes for court orders to go through, they'd have to store it for several months.

Oliver.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-May-13 17:42:20
Print Post

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Probably a silly question, but how would I know whether this is affecting me or not - also how would I check it?

I'm only very recently transferred to BT (ADSL2+, not Infinity), but I appear to be having more than a reasonable amount of "Unable to find Sites"!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to