User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 04-May-13 18:05:26
Print Post

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

The best way to make BT feel pain is to vote with your wallet and go elsewhere but unless you go to Virgin Media BT will still get a slice of what you pay.

All the talk about Retail, Wholesale and Openreach is really academic as in truth they are one company (try looking on the companies register for these separate entities, you won't find them) which is why retail does not have it's own IP blocks.

If memory serves me correctly if you run a BT Broadband IP against the RIPE database at www.ripe.net it just comes up as BT Broadband.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 04-May-13 18:22:10)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-May-13 18:23:59
Print Post

See the FAQ
Is my IP address being shared?

You can check if your IP address is being translated/shared by visiting this website www.whatismyipaddress.com

If your IP address is being shared, it will be listed under 'Organisation' as 'BT-CGNAT'.

Another thing to try is to change your DNS settings to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your PC network settings, as BT's DNS servers have been useless for as long as I remember.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 04-May-13 18:26:02)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-May-13 18:33:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
See the FAQ
Is my IP address being shared?

You can check if your IP address is being translated/shared by visiting this website www.whatismyipaddress.com

If your IP address is being shared, it will be listed under 'Organisation' as 'BT-CGNAT'.

Another thing to try is to change your DNS settings to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your PC network settings, as BT's DNS servers have been useless for as long as I remember.

Hi Batboy, Thanks for that!

It is showing up as "British Telecommunications", so I should be in the clear.

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-May-13 18:45:59
Print Post

So is mine, plus I opted-out - although BT haven't confirmed the opt-out yet smile

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 04-May-13 22:32:07
Print Post

Re: Update

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

correct although they already dealing with that mess now to store things like email records.

My guess is they dont store connection endpoints now as there isnt a need to, they can probably track who has what ip at any given time, but it may be something they could do on CGN to aid copyright infringement claims.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-13 23:13:23
Print Post

Re: Update

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
My guess is they dont store connection endpoints now as there isnt a need to, they can probably track who has what ip at any given time, but it may be something they could do on CGN to aid copyright infringement claims.

I would think ISPs would be required to log TCP/UDP connection if the police gained a court order on suspected terrorist activity and the like, so they could monitor what websites are being visited etc. But as for monitoring everyone's connection routinely in this way, I don't think that's done, yet.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to