User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 19:26:18
Print Post

New BT Infinity connection not working

[link to this post]

Just moved into a house that had Infinity near Truro, Cornwall. The equipment hasn't changed BT disconnected the other account and said ours would be activated yesterday. It didn't work so we spent a very frustrating hour on the phone to India where all the flow charts failed and finally go through to a supervisor who told us initially everything was fine the line was active. Then said there was a fault. We got a text a couple of hours later to say the fault has been resolved but the connection still doesn't work.

The modem is plugged into the wall, Power (solid green), DSL (solid green), LAN1 (mainly solid green, the occasional flicker).

The hub is 3.0 Type B, Power (solid blue) Wireless (solid blue), Broadband (constantly flashing between orange and pink).

Tried connecting to the hub via LAN and running the automatic diagnostics. No success.

Any ideas, further information needed. The tenants before us had no issues. We don't understand what has changed.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 14-Aug-13 19:34:25
Print Post

Re: New BT Infinity connection not working

[re: ritcH] [link to this post]

Does BT Wifi/Fon/Openzone work?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Aug-13 19:50:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by ritcH:
Any ideas, further information needed. The tenants before us had no issues. We don't understand what has changed.

I assume you have powered off the HomeHub and the white modem. Counted to 10 and powered on the white modem and then powered on the hub ? If you have then don't do this again as you don't want to switch off the white modem too often.

If you connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the hub, what happens when you try and access the internet?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:07:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Whether I connect wirelessly or via Ethernet cable I get the BT Home Hub 3 splash page saying Can't connect to broadband. I get the icons on the hub showing the same colours and a message saying there seems to be a problem. Your hub can't connect to broadband.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:38:09
Print Post

Whether I connect wirelessly or via Ethernet cable I get the BT Home Hub 3 splash page saying Can't connect to broadband. I get the icons on the hub showing the same colours and a message saying there seems to be a problem. Your hub can't connect to broadband.

Ok, and the cable is connected correctly from the back of the hub's ethernet (red) port to the ethernet port on the modem?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:48:11
Print Post

does the phone work?
are you taking over their number, or porting yours? or even getting a new one?
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:48:18
Print Post

Yes the Ethernet cable is connected from the red port on the hub to LAN1 on the modem, it was left this way by the previous tenants and is one of the steps I have gone through with the hubs auto diagnostics.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:52:07
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

We don't have a landline phone so can't check, we're not porting a number though.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 14-Aug-13 20:54:42
Print Post

We don't have a landline phone so can't check, we're not porting a number though.
You could try plugging the modem into the PC and setting up a PPPoE connection

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 21:00:56
Print Post

When I eventually get through to support does anyone know if I can request to be through to a high level support team, does anyone know what they are called? Because yesterday I spent an house talking to flow chart lady and then another 30 minutes talking to her supervisor and they were trying to be helpful but unsuccessful in their endeavor, shall we say...

Draytek 2820n
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Aug-13 21:05:47
Print Post

As they have taken over the HH, I wonder if a factory reset might be a good idea?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 21:08:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You could try plugging the modem into the PC and setting up a PPPoE connection

I tried that but was unable to get it to work from basic setup. I tried to search for manual settings online but that also didn't work.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 21:11:01
Print Post

I tried pppoe from the modem, no joy either with both auto and manual setup.

Draytek 2820n
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Aug-13 22:28:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As they have taken over the HH, I wonder if a factory reset might be a good idea?

If its giving the error page, its unable to connect over its WAN port, so I suspect the authentication is failing - which would be down to BTretail thinking the previous people have cancelled, and the new stuff not starting yet.

I suspect the only option is to keep battling the helldesk.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 14-Aug-13 23:17:06
Print Post

I tried pppoe from the modem, no joy either with both auto and manual setup.

tried a test user login on the PPPoE session from a computer connected to the modem ? Alternative Cat5 to modem ? Is it plugged in properly ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Thu 15-Aug-13 06:36:51
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I spoke to the helpdesk last night for 5 minutes after 45 minutes on hold. Was told there is some problem their end which requires a visit to the exchange. They said sorry for sending a text saying everything was okay.

I haven't tried test user straight from the modem, how do I do that?

Draytek 2820n
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Aug-13 08:08:49
Print Post

A phone to just check your line is giving the number assigned would be useful. A fiver from argos

Either change of ownership not happened or buttons need pressing to allow authentication to work once more

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Aug-13 08:52:46
Print Post

BT are just being BT ([censored]) and have not turned on auth at there end. I would suggest you visit their forums and speak to one of the mods on there, they're much better than the useless Indian script monkeys.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 105977D 38659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 5.4 SNR: Down 13.1 Up 24.3
Line Length 160meters
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Sun 18-Aug-13 11:30:47
Print Post

Turns out my housemate didn't order infinity but instead BT Broadband so it wasn't working because the phone line was plugged into the modem instead of the hub directly. So yes... now Infinity has been ordered and we have ADSL until then!

Palm meets face...

Draytek 2820n
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Aug-13 16:37:47
Print Post

So where did the modem come from? Did BT deliver it in error or did you get it from somewhere else?
Standard User Promod
(regular) Sun 18-Aug-13 16:44:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Previous occupants had Infinity and everything was left in-situ judging by OP first post.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Aug-13 16:50:16
Print Post

[re: Promod] [link to this post]

Ah sorry, should have read that really...

You would have thought BT would have realised when they first started troubleshooting it.
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Sun 18-Aug-13 17:00:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:

You would have thought BT would have realised when they first started troubleshooting it.

Precisely. Just shows what a bunch of clueless muppets they have for (so called) support staff. Hopeless
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Aug-13 22:58:15
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadbandjockey:
Precisely. Just shows what a bunch of clueless muppets they have for (so called) support staff. Hopeless

It would almost make sense the level of support if we paid less than the other companies - but we don't !!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Aug-13 23:09:10
Print Post

You have to pay more for yours because they are further away .... tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Aug-13 23:46:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have to pay more for yours because they are further away .... tongue

Ha, er, yes I guess smile

Standard User partial
(member) Mon 19-Aug-13 20:39:35
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadbandjockey:
In reply to a post by ian72:

Sounds like the script worked to me. This is a case of customer error and a bill would have ensued if a more 'clueful' provider's support staff booked an engineer to visit and unplug the errant customer premises equipment.

Edited by partial (Mon 19-Aug-13 20:41:56)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Aug-13 22:58:16
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Sounds like the script worked to me. This is a case of customer error and a bill would have ensued if a more 'clueful' provider's support staff booked an engineer to visit and unplug the errant customer premises equipment.

Er, no you don't need an engineer, but the first helpdesk call should have said "oh, you have a white openreach modem? but you are on BT Broadband that doesn't need one" - and everything would have been good. As it is, the OP is not impressed by BT's helpdesk, and most of the people reading this thread are not impressed. Brand is not as good as it could be.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to