User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thar
(experienced) Thu 26-Sep-13 19:23:19
Print Post

Re: Infinity 1 kit delivery

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I wasn't in during the install, but my other half had strict instructions not to let the engineer take the ADSL Nation faceplate. He was about to take it and was he was asked to leave it, the engineer said, why, it's not worth anything! Well I paid good money for it, so I'd rather keep it thank you!

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 00:09:58
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

And it works for FTTC anyway, if the BT one goes kaput.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 09:59:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
And it works for FTTC anyway, if the BT one goes kaput.

True! One thing I don't like about fibre is I feel quite vulnerable having no spare modem or router.

Previously, I knew that any router could be pressed into service if/when the HomeHub gives up the ghost but, with fibre, we have neither a spare modem or router. (Or faceplate in may case! smile )

I've got a spare 'generic' TG582n which I think can be configured as the router but I can't find any specific details anywhere.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (4.5Mbps)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 10:57:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

On my install, I only realised after the engineer had left that he had not replaced my ADSL Nation faceplate and so that's what I am using. Is there any disadvantage in not having the official BT faceplate? I could try and get them to come back and install one but I can't face the hassle if there is no benefit.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 11:38:10
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

Should be fine, only difference is if the ADSLNation fails outside of warranty you are stuck with buying a new one. If Openreach had left one you could have tried to get them to replace it, but cost of replacements is so low generally not worth hassle.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 11:43:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Should be fine, only difference is if the ADSLNation fails outside of warranty you are stuck with buying a new one. If Openreach had left one you could have tried to get them to replace it, but cost of replacements is so low generally not worth hassle.

Thanks! I'll leave it as is.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:29:02
Print Post

He should have upgraded the master socket with a complete new unit.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:42:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
He should have upgraded the master socket with a complete new unit.

but he didn't......
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:55:31
Print Post

Yours is much smaller and neater smile.

Only the phone side of things is filtered anyway, with any filter. The broadband signal is prevented from getting to the phone. The broadband socket gets everything - broadband and phone, and the modem sorts it out.

The only difference I have heard of is that the filtering on the new BT one may be slightly better, but if you aren't hearing anything untoward on the phone, and noise from the phone side isn't getting back onto the outside line, then nothing at all to worry about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:08:09
Print Post

He would have been paid to do that, so he pocketed the cash and the new master socket you should have had.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to