User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:08:22
Print Post

Infinity 1 kit delivery

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

My exchange has finally been enabled for infinity and, surprisingly, my cabinet has been installed and wired up within weeks smile

Anyway, during the ordering process, I elected to keep my HH3 so will the OR modem still get posted to me or does the engineer bring one with him?

It's no great thing either way except I'll know whether it matters if the delivery doesn't arrive before the engineers visit. IYSWIM

Thanks,

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (4.5Mbps)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:32:50
Print Post

Re: Infinity 1 kit delivery

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

The Tech will bring it with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:38:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ah thanks. I suspected as much but the confirmation email gives a delivery date for the 'BT kit' so I assume that's just a standard email as I won't be getting any new BT kit.

Ta.

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:54:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by John_ON:
Ah thanks. I suspected as much but the confirmation email gives a delivery date for the 'BT kit' so I assume that's just a standard email as I won't be getting any new BT kit.

Ta.

John.

I'd put money on you getting a home hub as well as the BT Infinity welcome pack. so you will have a spare.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 10:56:03
Print Post

They'll probably send you some coloured Cat5 cables in a large white box. smile

I assume the reason the OR engineer brings the VDSL modem is so they can match it to the cabinet (or at least did match it!).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 20-Sep-13 12:08:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I assume the reason the OR engineer brings the VDSL modem is so they can match it to the cabinet (or at least did match it!).

Not done any more. I have ECI modem on Huawei cabinet and know of many others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-13 12:15:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Not done any more. I have ECI modem on Huawei cabinet and know of many others.

(Thus why I wrote in brackets!).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Sep-13 16:30:51
Print Post

No point in ISPs being sent stock that they might not need, and then need to forward to the customer. All costing extra, and more systems to go wrong. Bear in mind that a lot of ISPs don't supply a free router either.

Having it engineer delivered and properly installed, along with the VDSL2 filter, made a lot of sense. Still does, despite the imminent move to user/ISP-install.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-13 16:32:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Still does, despite the imminent move to user/ISP-install.

I can see it being cheaper, but I can forsee a LOT of complaints about speed due to home wiring issues.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Sep-13 16:35:51
Print Post

But Openreach can slow down the necessary staff reductions once the commercial rollout is finished, possibly saving on redundancy payments or short-term contract buy-outs, whilst being able to impose a full callout charge for home wiring faults. Win-win.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Sep-13 16:36:39)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-13 16:38:32
Print Post

But Openreach can slow down the necessary staff reductions once the commercial rollout is finished, possibly saving on redundancy payments or short-term contract buy-outs, whilst being able to impose a full callout charge for home wiring faults. Win-win.

Ha, yes, and many ISPs will either not offer it, or add a serious markup. Be interesting to see if BTO makes money on it smile

Edited by jchamier (Sat 21-Sep-13 16:38:46)

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Sep-13 11:45:33
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:
I'd put money on you getting a home hub as well as the BT Infinity welcome pack. so you will have a spare.

Regrettably, no. Just an ethernet patch lead and a guide showing what the modem lights mean.

On the plus side, at least there isn't a CD for the engineer to insist he has to use smile

John.

Edited by John_ON (Tue 24-Sep-13 11:49:16)

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 24-Sep-13 12:31:11
Print Post

Regrettably, no. Just an ethernet patch lead and a guide showing what the modem lights mean.

On the plus side, at least there isn't a CD for the engineer to insist he has to use smile

John.

How unlucky. I am shocked and stunned that an ISP would be that organised not to just send out the standard kit.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Sep-13 20:38:02
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

How unlucky. I am shocked and stunned that an ISP would be that organised not to just send out the standard kit.

They do charge (around £7) for p&p for the weight of the HH3, so I assume John wasn't charged either.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 13:54:20
Print Post

On the plus side, at least there isn't a CD for the engineer to insist he has to use

Trust me, if you get an FTTC installer who thinks that they need to install the CD, kick 'em out, it must clearly be their very first job ! wink

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 09:19:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
On the plus side, at least there isn't a CD for the engineer to insist he has to use

Trust me, if you get an FTTC installer who thinks that they need to install the CD, kick 'em out, it must clearly be their very first job ! wink

Well, he's due after 1pm today so I'm hoping it goes smoothly. The master socket currently has an ADSLNation XTE Faceplate. Hopefully, the engineer will change that to one of the BT type but, other than that, the existing HomeHub is about 2 feet away from the master socket and there's a spare power socket.

I don't know about configuring the HomeHub but the wiring changes at the 'house end' should take him about 3 minutes!

John.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 10:30:08
Print Post

That should be a tickle then. Once the VDSL modem is fitted (ask them to wall mount it), then it's just the supplied ethernet lead from the VDSL modem to the existing hub.

How come I never get these installs ? Mine always have a 'and fix line fault' with them, or punter want's it in the most inconvenient place. Comme toujours.

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 13:59:43
Print Post

That should be a tickle then. Once the VDSL modem is fitted (ask them to wall mount it), then it's just the supplied ethernet lead from the VDSL modem to the existing hub.

How come I never get these installs ? Mine always have a 'and fix line fault' with them, or punter want's it in the most inconvenient place. Comme toujours.

Arrived 13:15
Left about 13:35

Pocketed my ADSLNation faceplate too!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2993147632

John.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 15:58:37
Print Post

When my FTTC was installed the engineer asked if I had bought the faceplate and when I said yes he left it behind (and as it was only a couple of months old I would not have been happy if he had taken it).
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:23:11
Print Post

Why? Because you have the knowledge, experience and ability to 'do it right', that's why! tongue

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User thar
(experienced) Thu 26-Sep-13 19:23:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I wasn't in during the install, but my other half had strict instructions not to let the engineer take the ADSL Nation faceplate. He was about to take it and was he was asked to leave it, the engineer said, why, it's not worth anything! Well I paid good money for it, so I'd rather keep it thank you!

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 00:09:58
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

And it works for FTTC anyway, if the BT one goes kaput.

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 09:59:01
Print Post

And it works for FTTC anyway, if the BT one goes kaput.

True! One thing I don't like about fibre is I feel quite vulnerable having no spare modem or router.

Previously, I knew that any router could be pressed into service if/when the HomeHub gives up the ghost but, with fibre, we have neither a spare modem or router. (Or faceplate in may case! smile )

I've got a spare 'generic' TG582n which I think can be configured as the router but I can't find any specific details anywhere.

John.

Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 10:57:12
Print Post

On my install, I only realised after the engineer had left that he had not replaced my ADSL Nation faceplate and so that's what I am using. Is there any disadvantage in not having the official BT faceplate? I could try and get them to come back and install one but I can't face the hassle if there is no benefit.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 11:38:10
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

Should be fine, only difference is if the ADSLNation fails outside of warranty you are stuck with buying a new one. If Openreach had left one you could have tried to get them to replace it, but cost of replacements is so low generally not worth hassle.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 11:43:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Should be fine, only difference is if the ADSLNation fails outside of warranty you are stuck with buying a new one. If Openreach had left one you could have tried to get them to replace it, but cost of replacements is so low generally not worth hassle.

Thanks! I'll leave it as is.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:29:02
Print Post

He should have upgraded the master socket with a complete new unit.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:42:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
He should have upgraded the master socket with a complete new unit.

but he didn't......
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 12:55:31
Print Post

Yours is much smaller and neater smile.

Only the phone side of things is filtered anyway, with any filter. The broadband signal is prevented from getting to the phone. The broadband socket gets everything - broadband and phone, and the modem sorts it out.

The only difference I have heard of is that the filtering on the new BT one may be slightly better, but if you aren't hearing anything untoward on the phone, and noise from the phone side isn't getting back onto the outside line, then nothing at all to worry about.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:08:09
Print Post

He would have been paid to do that, so he pocketed the cash and the new master socket you should have had.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:25:59
Print Post

Are they fitting Interstitial faceplates? if so it was probably much easier for the installer to leave the existing filtered faceplate in place rather than possibly rewire extensions to a NTE5A and then fit an Interstitial faceplate.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:42:22
Print Post

Urm what cash?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:44:18
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Yes new design is interstitial, so swapping would mean changing wiring and putting a new bottom half on too.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:46:09
Print Post

His salary. Engineers are paid to do a full install, not half a job. They should not take old faceplates and put them on Ebay and they should not put new faceplates that should have been installed, on Ebay either.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 14:22:33
Print Post

Interstitial plates are only ten quid brand new and the existing filtered faceplate may be better anyway...

Can you prove that allegation that they are putting used filtered faceplates and brand new interstitial plates on ebay?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 16:06:23
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Looks like someone is.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:05:45
Print Post

I've got a spare 'generic' TG582n which I think can be configured as the router but I can't find any specific details anywhere.

As you're with BT Infinity, its simple. Just plug the ethernet cable from the white modem into the WAN port on the router, and in the router menus set up PPPoE with username: [email protected] and leave the password blank or put a space if the router won't let you save blank.

My ASUS RT-N66U is vastly superior to the horrendous HomeHub 3.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:07:47
Print Post

I don't think generic 582n's have a WAN port. PN have two versions.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:11:34
Print Post

I don't think generic 582n's have a WAN port. PN have two versions.

Ok, then its useless to John, as no ADSL signal will reach his phone line now.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:29:51
Print Post

On Amazon So probably safe to suggest this is not just one or two falling out of a toolbox, but someone who is sourcing in bulk from a legit supplier and half the price of ebay.

Given the way BT operate if they thought engineers were making a pretty penny from selling faceplates i.e. stealing from BT then they would be ending contracts and calling in the police.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:48:52
Print Post

The question remains why did he take it?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:02:17
Print Post

If this style
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/nte-2005-master-facepla...
then perfectly reasonable to have assumed it was a BT installed one.

If this style
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/xte-2005-master-facepla...
then should not have taken it, as that style has never been used by BT. Poster is at liberty to report it to ISP who can pass it on to Openreach.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:11:34
Print Post

The OP already mentioned his "ADSLNation XTE Faceplate"

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:20:26
Print Post

Cannot keep track of everything in a day smile

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:38:44
Print Post

He likely took it to discard it in the same way other obsolete equipment is discarded.

The BT Openreach engineer who installed my FTTC took the modified faceplate filter I bought from Clarity, and I expect a perfectly good filter landed up in the scrap bin. I could have stopped him by pointing out it was a modified version that was clearly my property, but I couldn't be bothered. He'd been neat, tidy and courteous. He let me take pictures of his JDSU screen showing the line test results, though he did insist on me covering up the logos on the unit itself first. He waited whilst I reconfigured my router and assured him all was well with the connection. Mine was the first FTTC installation he'd done that didn't involve a BT Home Hub or similar router - in my case the modem connects to a dedicated VLAN on my network and the router is a rack mount server running pfSense in another building, connected to this one via a couple of Gigabit fibres.

I finished up with a working installation. The engineer went by the book, scrapping the existing NTE5, replacing it with a new IDC NTE5 (sometimes called a CTE5) and interstitial filter. He moved my extensions to the faceplate of the new NTE5 and insisted on testing them. I have nothing to complain about.

I probably should have a spare filter, but the interstitial filters aren't expensive. When I get round to it, I'll buy one for my spares box.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:40:25
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

My engineer handed me the old Openreach faceplate saying it was mine.

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 08:22:02
Print Post

I had mine installed nearly 2 years ago and I still have my ADSL Nation faceplate fitted, all he did was open it up to check that the wiring was correct, he may have removed the bell wire if it had been connected in the first place. Somewhere I still have my original BT filtered faceplate from when I had Home Highway replaced by ADSL.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to