User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 25-Sep-13 13:29:40
Print Post

Re: Internet Cutting off when phone rings

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
It's a Fritz bug, the best way to deal with that:

On the Fritz page goto System|Night Service|Do not disturb and put in the hours

then Telephony|Telephone Book and mark anyone that you don't mind calling you through the night (Family etc|) as Important.

I had to change the start time recently because it started the phantom calling between 23:00 and 00:00 but it seems to have reverted to between 03h and 04h again

Done all of that. AVM not interested as the 7390 satisfies BT's technical requirements. Currently, I am getting an unknown call about every 4 days - in the early hours. It now seems to be associated with a brief loss of the internet which doesn't result in a re-synch just a change of ISP gateway.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 13:52:22
Print Post

[re: colic] [link to this post]

I agree with Mr.S, about it being the onset of an HR fault, or less possibly the DSL equipment in the exchange. Unplugging the phones won't cure this. If it still keeps happening, get back on to BTBB.

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 25-Sep-13 14:07:24
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

If you've done all that, then the calls should only be showing up in the log and not ringing the phone, that's what happens on my system, unless you have a phone that is connected directly to the phone line, in other words all extensions must go via the Fritz box for it to work correctly.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 14:31:00
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I thought that I read something a couple of years ago about BTOR rolling out integrated high resistance fault testing. Did anything come of this as I recall that the success rate was in excess of 90%?
Do you mean CIDT ?openreach CIDT According to the info found by following the link, it should have been rolled out to all exchanges by now, So will be available to all CP's It probably down to costs as to which if any cp's use CIDT or not , that's assuming that they are aware of it being an option open thats available to them ,
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 17:05:10
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

A CIDT test is now the standard 'repair' test for LLU providers, and is easily used for BTw based providers too. It would appear to be done by default on Plusnet lines for instance. To be honest, I don't think it's that good at spotting the minor HR's.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 17:39:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
A CIDT test is now the standard 'repair' test for LLU providers, and is easily used for BTw based providers too. It would appear to be done by default on Plusnet lines for instance. To be honest, I don't think it's that good at spotting the minor HR's.

Is that the same test that can be ordered by BT Retail to detect intermittent crackling on voice over a 24 hour period? If so I agree it isnít much use!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 19:49:58
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Not sure TBH. Never heard of the test you describe.

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 09:27:42
Print Post

Re: Internet Cutting off when phone rings (OT)

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
Also there are a lot of businesses and agencies that have an automatic do not display number use, and those would also be blocked, not good if you are waiting for a call back from the council regarding a repair etc.

My pet hate! Councils, doctors, any public organisation, should be forced by law to display a number that doesn't change. They can easily prevent incoming calls on that number if they're afraid of getting nuisance calls.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (4.5Mbps)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Sep-13 10:55:02
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

Maybe they need incoming calls on that number, from selected callers.

You can use 141 on your line, but still want family and friends to be able to ring you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Sep-13 19:25:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Maybe they need incoming calls on that number, from selected callers.
You can use 141 on your line, but still want family and friends to be able to ring you.

Councils and public bodies should do what we have at work, each desk has a direct inbound number, but all the outgoing caller ID is our switchboard number.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to