User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:33:35
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

They are probably hoping that you will contract again for BB and phone in Nov 14 with some other "lucrative" offer smile
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 17:35:42
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
There will not be a broadband cease on your line if you migrate to another ISP and a MAC key is provided by your current ISP nor if you switch WLR line rental providers after giving the correct notice etc. smile

That's good to know - thanks! I want to keep the third-party as they have been very good, so just now need to wait for the LRS to run out.

Although I could pre-order, I'm just going to pay the £1.75/month for the caller display instead so I'm not tied in at the end of the LRS.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
They are probably hoping that you will contract again for BB and phone in Nov 14 with some other "lucrative" offer smile

Yeah. I suppose there is a risk of the BB and phone chasing each other's tails. That's possibly why they have different lengths of contracts, to help keep them 'out of sync'.

John

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (Infinity 1 - 37.6/8.4Mbps)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:27:15
Print Post

I got the price increase email on Friday and following the links within, it advised that my Infinity 2 + calls package would be increasing in price from January 14. So according to the small print within the email (and BT's t&c's) this gives me the option to leave my 18 month Infinity contract (which I'm only 5 months into) penalty free.

I contacted BT via on-line chat who arranged a callback from customer options who confirmed I could leave penalty free, so I requested a MAC, which I have given to Plusnet. £12.99 for 9 months then £19.99 thereafter, beats £26 (£27.67 from January 14).

Just waiting for the final bill from BT...

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:51:05
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

You should also get the "sorry you are leaving " letter regarding your line rental also from BT retail, since it appears that you are taking a Plusnet broadband and calls package?
Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 21:23:20
Print Post

I'll watch out for that.

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Oct-13 21:55:42
Print Post

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:
Am I right in thinking that if you pre-register, then the 12 month contract starts from January?
There's a lengthy discussion on that and other issues with the pre-registration offer in another thread. The simple answer is it's not clear.

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:
I'm also thinking of moving from BT when my LRS runs out... my broadband is with a third-party however.
You're not the only one. My phone service is with BT Retail (two lines on one account), and I have Zen FTTC on one of those lines.

Were it not for the two lines, I'd unify phone and broadband with Zen. Unfortunately Zen don't have a line rental saver, and like all other providers I've encountered apart from BT Retail, call packages are charged for per line, not per account. The £5.40 per month discount on my Zen FTTC if I moved my phone service to Zen would help offset the extra costs, and these latest BT Retail price rises further reduce the price gap between Zen and BT Retail.

Ultimately, the right answer may well be to switch the second line to VoIP, or to take a call package on one line only and use the unlimited calls package on my contract mobile for the outgoing calls currently made on the second line. The mobile has the advantage of not needing to redial after an hour to avoid charges.

Fundamentally, I dislike BT Retail's strategies of making previously inclusive services chargeable, also of doing everything they can to get you to recommit for a further 12 month period without always making the fresh commitment and the new end date explicit before agreement is reached.

I realise providers want to prevent churn, and many comparisons are only done on headline line rental and call package figures. Nevertheless, I regard Caller Display as essential today for anyone who has a phone connected to their landline, considering the amount of junk calls you receive.

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:15:36
Print Post

It's the 4th Jan,

Using the link in the email my BB+ unlimited calls is going up by £2/m (calls bit by only 33p and not to the full £7 as quoted)

Here's the T&C from the Email:
1. BT Answer 1571: Opt-in required. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed.
2. BT Privacy with Caller Display: Opt-in required. Includes registration by BT on the Telephone Preference Scheme (TPS) and Caller Display. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed. Caller Display equipment required. Allow 28 days for activation of the TPS service. Terms apply.
3. Line Rental Saver: You can pay for your monthly line rental either by Direct Debit for £15.45 (rising to £15.99 on 4 January 2014) a month (standard line rental) or by paying £141 by credit/debit card for 12 months in advance (Line Rental Saver) which is equivalent to £11.75 a month. You'll need to pay any additional call charges by Direct Debit. You'll receive e-billing. Connection charges may apply and there's a 12-month minimum term for new connections. Exclusions and conditions apply.
4. Unlimited Anytime Calls: £7 a month plus BT line rental when signing up to a 12-month minimum term. Landline calls to UK mobiles will be charged at 6 pence per minute and you'll pay a 15p set-up fee for every chargeable call you make. Terms apply.
5. BT SmartTalk: You'll need a BT home calling plan and an iPhone/Android smartphone connected to wi-fi or an internet connection. Use BT SmartTalk to access calls included as part of your calling plan, when using your smartphone. Five users per BT account. GMT time zone applies. International, Premium (09) and Personal (070) calls require an opt-in but are not included in this offer. Fair Use Policy applies. Excludes BT Basic. See bt.com/free60 for details. Terms apply. Offer ends 31 January 2014: 60 minutes of free calls per month throughout 2014 for BT SmartTalk customers. Each user (up to a maximum of 5) registered against your BT SmartTalk account will get the first 60 minutes of chargeable calls they make using the BT SmartTalk service free. Unused monthly allowance cannot be carried over to the following month or transferred between users on a single account. Value of free calls for each user will be shown on the account holder's bill and total value will be applied as a discount. BT reserves the right to end the offer at any time, including before the published end date.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:39:32
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

That email only tells you when the chargeable BT Privacy with Caller Display starts, 4 Jan.

It does not tell you when the new 12-month line rental contract starts to which you are committing by pre-registering (which it never mentions) by its deadline of 6 Dec.

Hence the confusion. I believe they are one and the same since the quid pro quo should be that you give up your freedom to cancel at the same time as BT gives up its charges for BT Privacy with Caller Display.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:46:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The whole thing is confusing, because it appears if you sign up for LRS then you will not have to pay for BT Privacy & Caller Display, but it if your LRS is active after 40/01 it doesn't say whether you would have to pay until you renew.

I've given up and got my MAC code and going over to PN

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited
Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to