User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:08:37
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The beauty of anything controlled by code, is that there will always be a way in, as banks have just found. It is also what keeps some of us hackers from wrecking phone boxes, or whatever they do these days!

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:11:50
Print Post

Does DRM block HD live streams that are relayed via unapproved sites?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:19:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Oliver341:
As for legality, if it were so legal then the UK courts would not have ordered a block on First Row Sports.
As the UK courts have not ordered a block on Vipbox then it is not illegal.
With my law student hat on, I'd suggest it is necessary to define "illegal" in the context you are using it. The legality of an act is determined by applying the relevant law to the facts, and the absence of a relevant court ruling does not absolve you of possible liability.

If there was an injunction against you ordering you not to use a particular service, breaking that injunction is contempt of court, with penalties for an individual including imprisonment. In the absence of such an injunction (which you would know about, and so far injunctions relating to blocks requested by rights holders have applied only to certain ISPs), there is likely no criminal liability involved in using a service that infringes the copyright of rights holders.

However, the lack of a relevant injunction doesn't mean you are free to use an infringing service without risk of penalty. Civil penalties may apply, especially if you knew or ought reasonably to have known that the service infringes the copyright of the rights holders. It is arguable that being so much cheaper than the 'official' service amounts to 'ought to have known'. (N.B. I'm no expert on copyright law, but this is the general position in relation to civil wrongs, known as torts).

The copyright position may not be clear if the infringing service holds foreign rights, as was seen in the case of pubs showing Premier League matches using viewing cards sold with the consent of a rights holder elsewhere in the EU. It was held in the courts that EU laws on free movement permitted cross-border sales of such a service. There might have been a subsequent appeal against this ruling, which I've missed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:21:41
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I think DRM needs an encrypted stream that can only be unencrypted by a licensed viewer on your device.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:14
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Here's a link about what you're referring to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:20
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
It certainly is not against the law to discuss such a site, so I feel if this site was truly impartial and informative as fora should, then I certainly should not be told to shut up for the mention of such a site, so I am quite happy to be a majority of one, fight my corner and take the childish bans as they arrive.
The problem comes for the operators in this site. They could be construed as allowing dissemination of information on how to infringe copyright, which could open them to liability.

N.B. this is not legal advice, just my possibly wrong undergraduate understanding of the law.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:33:36
Print Post

And here's a link to the subsequent High Court decision based on the EEC ruling:
The High Court in London on Friday ruled that Karen Murphy's appeal over using the decoder to bypass controls over match screening must be allowed.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:33:55
Print Post

I think DRM needs an encrypted stream that can only be unencrypted by a licensed viewer on your device.

Yes I was thinking with DRM the encryption would have to be decoded before a live HD stream could be relayed to an end user from an unapproved site?

Not a big deal with pre-recorded stuff since one can see loads of copyright HD material uploaded to YouTube etc. from the BBC etc.

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 29-Sep-13 13:48:11)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:02:01
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:

Yes I was thinking with DRM the encryption would have to be decoded before a live HD stream could be relayed to an end user from an unapproved site?
I doubt that would be happening. It's far more likely that an unencrypted stream would be sourced rather than decrypting and re-broadcasting.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:06:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
BT line rental going up to £15.99 in January, which is way above Zen at £11.22 with no tie in. All BT packages going up 6.5%, early leaving penalties 30% and speaking clock 6.5%. Not good when inflation is 2.5% and all in the name of making every customer pay for the 'Free' BT sport for some, which is only free to some of their rivals!

Of course them giving BT sport away to those who also have bt bb products is the reason why they are hiking the line rental prices again, and starting to charge for a cut down version of BT answer 1571 and caller id ,(BT privacy) Which i think is a major mistake on BT's part
And if these price increases will affect those who have been been on the same calling plan for several years ,as well as new customers,

Then they will certainly be loosing a lot of customers, and plusnet may get some ,but i think most will go for the cheapest available which plusnet isn't, And there's a rumour that they also intend on launching a TV service later this year, So their prices my see another hike in the near future too,if they follow BT and offer it free to some
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to