User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 15:14:40
Print Post

BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase

[link to this post]

From BBC News - Around 10 million BT customers face phone and broadband price rises of up to 6.5% from January

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 16:10:37
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

PlusNet and TalkTalk did theirs back in August, Sky has a line rental change in December. Virgin Media tweaked a few prices in the last few months too.

Memory has managed to forget date of last BT Retail price rise in voice line rental.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 17:20:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Zen say 5/1/13.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 17:26:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cough, check date.

That was referring to the 2013 price rise, new ones just appeared today and come into effect 4th Jan 2014.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6064-price-rises-...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 17:36:49
Print Post

The BT Answer 1571 will acquire a monthly charge of £1.75
Whaaattttt ????

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 17:39:33
Print Post

I was supplying the missing info ....
Memory has managed to forget date of last BT Retail price rise in voice line rental.
tongue

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:27:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The BT Answer 1571 will acquire a monthly charge of £1.75
Whaaattttt ????

Let's hope they remove the 5p a use charge too!

"
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:24:01
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I read it as all those that have signed up for 'privacy' telephone preference service, will now be charged for caller ID, unless they actively turn it off.
one bright side, plenty of chance to escape current minimum term contracts.
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:37:21
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Indeed. I just told my parents and they have had enough. They only have 6mbps and can get more on their phones so the landline and adsl are going and they will just tether they say !

My dad's like " Enough is enough" he also used the f and b words to describe them :/

"
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:01:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Let's hope they remove the 5p a use charge too!
That's the Return the call charge on 1471 isn't it? I never pay that! First the number will be on the phone's call log so just let that dial, second any caller leaving a message leaves name and/or number, third I never ring out to 01/02 numbers during week daytimes as I only have and E & W plan. Always use my mobile.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:07:28
Print Post

In the past caller display and 1571 charges could be avoided by making 2 paid calls a month. Is this changing too?.

Edited by flippery (Fri 27-Sep-13 20:08:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:15:39
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I read it as all those that have signed up for 'privacy' telephone preference service, will now be charged for caller ID, unless they actively turn it off.
one bright side, plenty of chance to escape current minimum term contracts.
Caller ID is nothing to do with 1571. 1571 is voicemail.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:16:56
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
In the past caller display and 1571 charges could be avoided by making 2 paid calls a month. Is this changing too?.

Everyone who wants 1571 will have to pay for it next year. There's no indication that BT Privacy (with free caller display) will cease.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:27:07
Print Post

Since when was 1571 chargeable?

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:35:02
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Everyone who wants 1571 will have to pay for it next year. There's no indication that BT Privacy (with free caller display) will cease.
Privacy at Home will cost £1.75 per month from January, unfortunately. This wasn't in the ThinkBroadband news article, but is mentioned in the Daily Mail article.

BT Retail charge for any time calls is levied once per account, not per line - unless that, too, is changing. As we have (and still need) two lines, that's the only thing keeping our phone service with BT Retail.

The need for two any time call packages and lack of any advance line rental for a year deal makes Zen more expensive for us, notwithstanding the broadband discount we'd get for taking Zen's phone and broadband bundle. These changes reduce the difference between BT Retail and Zen considerably for us. If BT Retail make any more adverse price changes like this, it's getting close to the point where we may move completely to Zen.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:39:36
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Privacy at Home will cost £1.75 per month from January, unfortunately. This wasn't in the ThinkBroadband news article, but is mentioned in the Daily Mail article.

Thanks for that. I was going off the Telegraph article which was sloppily written.

So an extra £3.50 for services which were previously free, on top of the other price increases. BT really are putting the sting on people.

Oliver.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 27-Sep-13 21:14:55
Print Post

Not sure if it ever was. My BT contract for Anytime has always been " privacy + 1571 + 1471 free as long as I made 2 chargeable calls a month otherwise £1.75 / month. I do not have mobile phone and always complied.

Noticed in the Daily Mail article the following line

" Customers opted into BT Answer 1571 can continue to get the service for free if they agree to sign up to line rental with the company for another year!"

Edited by flippery (Fri 27-Sep-13 21:17:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 21:42:40
Print Post

Not sure if it ever was.
It wasn't smile. Your "... 1571 charges could be avoided by making 2 paid calls a month ..." was what worried me, as it was news to me.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 22:06:05
Print Post

That 2 calls per month thing could include free calls made in the evenings and at the weekend, i.e. inclusive calls as well as chargeable calls.

BTW. whatever happened to the paper free billing discount - that disappeared without much warning?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Sep-13 22:30:34
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Yes, plan calls count towards the 6 per quarter, in my case.

Paperless billing discount I think went in the 5/1/13 rises.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Sep-13 22:50:04
Print Post

Paperless billing discount I think went in the 5/1/13 rises.
It's been gone for longer than that - 3/12/11 if this old post on the BTCare forums is accurate.

The way to get a discount from that point was to take Line Rental Saver, for which online billing is mandatory. Unfortunately in my case, BT would only let me have Line Rental Saver on one of the two lines on my account, even though I was happy to pay in advance for both. This makes a second line an expensive option.

If the costs of landline telephony keep rising this fast, I'm going to have to think again about our second line.

One option would be to take the number to a VoIP provider, though the consumer providers no longer seem to offer number porting and the business provider packages I looked at didn't make sense for a single line. In addition, I'd fear losing the number by not being able to return to donor or port it onwards later.

The other option would be to go to a cheaper provider and only take unlimited calls on one line. As my mobile has unlimited calls and doesn't have a 'redial after an hour' requirement, I make a substantial proportion of outgoing calls on my mobile anyway.

Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 09:02:40
Print Post

Methinks BT will be losing a lot of customers, I was just checking the PlusNet and TalkTalk websites, although I think the latter has a poor offering, Depends whether PlusNet have any increases in the near future.

Edit
I see PlusNet and TalkTalk both go up next month, but only a 49p increase in Line Rental for PlusNet, who are still showing old prices on their site.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Edited by The_Voyager (Sat 28-Sep-13 09:09:53)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 12:28:12
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Talktalk's £2.50 broadband was nicely timed, just a few days before BT's announced price rise.

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 12:46:00
Print Post

Can you explain why a TT 24/7 LLU unlimited broadband connection costs £2.50 yet the "Anytime UK Calls Boost" costs £5 when both are using the same landline?
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:01:09
Print Post

+£17.50 if you want the full blown FTTC but still cheaper than BT, but their line Rental goes up to £15.40/m.

Looking at other sites, what I may do is keep line rental with BT, do away with CallerID and Anytime, shift my FTTC to PlusNet and start using Call18866 for all landline calls, at the moment I only use it for International calls, shame they don't allow 0844 on there.

Is there anyone here on PlusNet that also uses 18866 prefix for calls or do you have to use the 0808 number (pricing difference on some calls), They say the 18866 doesn't work on Non-BT lines like Telewest & NTL but wondered if it works on PlusNet as that could sway me to change the Line Rental as well

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:45:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Can you explain why a TT 24/7 LLU unlimited broadband connection costs £2.50 yet the "Anytime UK Calls Boost" costs £5 when both are using the same landline?

Talktalk's Anytime UK Calls Boost costs £5.50, but I don't understand you question.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:46:51
Print Post

Maybe the PlusNet forum would be a better place for the last paragraph? smile

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:47:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
+£17.50 if you want the full blown FTTC but still cheaper than BT, but their line Rental goes up to £15.40/m.

I was thinking more about ADSL, where the £2.50 Talktalk price weighs against BT's £16.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:48:44
Print Post

I think he's on about the huge price difference between the unlimited broadband price and the anytime calls price? Which puts the more traffic on the line?

(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 14:51:01
Print Post

could well be, was hoping someone on here might have known, rather than joining another forum

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 14:55:43
Print Post

yes, much better offer to those who want a basic package, but still savings to be made at the top end as well.

The BUT in there is that you have to take their line rental to get those prices, and they don't have a very good reputation.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 15:05:46
Print Post

The BUT in there is that you have to take their line rental to get those prices, and they don't have a very good reputation.

To counter that, you need a BT landline to get their prices.

Perhaps BT is hoping to squeeze BT customers for as much money as possible, whilst scooping up some of those unhappy with the price via Plusnet.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 15:07:46
Print Post

I think he's on about the huge price difference between the unlimited broadband price and the anytime calls price? Which puts the more traffic on the line?

Not sure, the £5.50 for anytime calls is pretty standard though, what with Sky at £5.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 15:27:45
Print Post

No surprise where some of the media has gone with this one: http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/broadband/the...

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:26:01
Print Post

That's basically what the problem is with their ridiculous foray into Sports. The viewing figures are shocking.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:38:29
Print Post

BT Basic is still OK though - my elderly aunt just got her land line bill and I thought less than £30 for 3 months line rental with fairly light usage was pretty good smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Sep-13 17:05:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sport may be the high profile bit but add cloud, wifi to other costs.

BT is a long way from a barebones connection.

Imagine the uproar is BT cut its line rental from competitors smile

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Sep-13 18:15:52
Print Post

Those other things haven't changed, sport is the only truly new thing - and it's a flop. As far as I remember, they have a 3 year deal.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Sep-13 18:35:09
Print Post

I'm confused.
Keep up-to-date with the latest news

Follow @BTSport on Twitter for the latest news as we head towards our launch this summer.
High latency on their website perhaps? Quite apart from not being able to read most of the "Full lineup".

Won't everyone interested in the football already have the far more comprehensive Sky?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Sep-13 18:40:58
Print Post

As the viewing figures are poor, the people who do the work CBA.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Sep-13 18:50:31
Print Post

Or the people who did the site are taking the mickey and have sailed off with the proceeds.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:08:08
Print Post

The BT Sport online stream died 70 minutes into the Tottenham - Chelsea match today, resulting in many customers missing the end of the match. Sigh.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the...

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 28-Sep-13 19:08:41)

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:08:16
Print Post

BT line rental going up to £15.99 in January, which is way above Zen at £11.22 with no tie in. All BT packages going up 6.5%, early leaving penalties 30% and speaking clock 6.5%. Not good when inflation is 2.5% and all in the name of making every customer pay for the 'Free' BT sport for some, which is only free to some of their rivals!

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
(experienced) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:14:40
Print Post

A good reason to stick with Vipbox, quite apart from more matches than all other suppliers put together.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:19:11
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
A good reason to stick with Vipbox, quite apart from more matches than all other suppliers put together.

Sound and picture quality on Vipbox are poor, the popular streams buffer frequently, and the service operates illegally.

Aside from that though, it's great.

Oliver.
Standard User partial
(member) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:30:49
Print Post

Won't everyone interested in the football already have the far more comprehensive Sky?

The proof of the BT Sport pudding will come with the results next April.

I am interested in football but I don't think Sky Sports @ >£40 a month plus line rental and broadband charges is value for money. I've been there and I cancelled.

Personally, I think BT Sport is a masterstroke. The share price appears to agree. The competition touted here is illegal poor quality streams. That ain't gonna last forever.

BT is offering sport and unlimited broadband cheaper than many of the remaining small providers offer, often hard capped broadband alone, and cheaper than Sky.

This is not a bad place for BT to be, defending their largest telco market share position in telcoland by attacking a fat and previously unchallenged TV player. .

Edited by partial (Sat 28-Sep-13 21:38:03)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:35:26
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

What device have you watched it on?

(experienced) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:42:18
Print Post

Sound and picture quality on Vipbox are poor, the popular streams buffer frequently, and the service operates illegally.

Aside from that though, it's great.

I rarely suffer buffering. The video quality I watch is as good as TV and certainly does not suffer from the congestion BT users moan about. It is not illegal to watch the service and while that remains the case I will continue to have greater choice and save a fortune.

Standard User partial
(member) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:42:43
Print Post

I've watched football on Vision via my TV aerial and online on the street via a kindly openzone member. There is no Infinity in my village so I can't comment on youview service.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:46:39
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

The quality on Sky is excellent, maybe not as good online. I have a feeling Sky make the Youview boxes smile

(experienced) Sat 28-Sep-13 21:57:05
Print Post

I find the quality of Vipbox can be quite good enough. It can vary depending on the quality of what the sharer is putting out. Good enough for free. This tonight is average, often better. http://imageshack.com/scaled/800x600/845/fbib.jpg
http://imageshack.com/scaled/800x600/89/cuce.jpg

Edited by professor973 (Sat 28-Sep-13 22:02:50)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 22:21:44
Print Post

Most people will want to blow that up to full screen, which will make the image worse though.

BT Sport: http://s13.postimg.org/6ezmwyzt3/btsport.png

Oliver.
(experienced) Sat 28-Sep-13 22:32:23
Print Post

I watch full screen, though I think this site resizes images. As I said, good enough for free, no contention issues and far greater choice. Absolute best quality is like faster Broadband than you need. Each to his own I suppose, though 128 Soccer matches tomorrow is more choice than any money will buy.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 28-Sep-13 22:35:48)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 10:31:25
Print Post

Yeah, we get it, you're a big fan of sites that break the law.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 10:31:37
Print Post

I suggest you look at the zen fttc packages again

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 10:35:58
Print Post

This site does NOT host images from user, so cannot resize them.

I feel you are going too far at promoting a service that is rebroadcasting streams without rights holders permission too. Stop it now

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:28:31
Print Post

Yeah, we get it, you're a big fan of sites that break the law.

Not at all. I am a big fan of not being told what to do with my life. Like others, possibly you should check all the site content before making a blanket statement.

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:29:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I suggest you look at the zen fttc packages again

I suggest you look at my post again, I was comparing line rental with BT.

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:33:35
Print Post

This site does NOT host images from user, so cannot resize them.

I feel you are going too far at promoting a service that is rebroadcasting streams without rights holders permission too. Stop it now

I made the statement regarding images, because during a reply I noted the images were stated as resized, so it happened somewhere along the way. Sorry for breathing.

And I feel you are going too far rubbing a site, much of the content is perfectly legal and all of which is legal to watch, along with telling me what to do. Stop that now!

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:34:55
Print Post

Not at all. I am a big fan of not being told what to do with my life. Like others, possibly you should check all the site content before making a blanket statement.

Umm, I have. It's a site that streams content without the copyright holders' permission.

Oliver.
(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:37:13
Print Post

Umm, I have. It's a site that streams content without the copyright holders' permission.

Wrong - It streams absolutely nothing, it just supplies links to sites around the morld, wost of which are legal. If you are going to find fault, at least get your facts right.

Edited by professor973 (Sun 29-Sep-13 12:41:23)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:44:41
Print Post

Wrong - It streams absolutely nothing, it just supplies links to sites around the morld, wost of which are legal. If you are going to find fault, at least get your facts right.

Yeah, "third party streams". Completely unverifiable claim. These sites used to stream from public streaming services but they got pulled due to copyright infringement. These days they are hosted on dedicated servers around the world, and you'd have to be naive in the extreme to think they get no financial kick-back from the websites concerned.

As for legality, if it were so legal then the UK courts would not have ordered a block on First Row Sports.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:51:16
Print Post

As for legality, if it were so legal then the UK courts would not have ordered a block on First Row Sports.
As the UK courts have not ordered a block on Vipbox then it is not illegal.

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 29-Sep-13 12:51:56)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:53:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I'm assuming you're joking, unless you're saying everything which isn't blocked on the internet is legal!

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:56:03
Print Post

Are you saying that everything blocked on the internet is illegal?

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:56:48
Print Post

Well legal or not, I feel that one is as entitled to be for as against such sites. After all, it's all Broadband. It certainly is not against the law to discuss such a site, so I feel if this site was truly impartial and informative as fora should, then I certainly should not be told to shut up for the mention of such a site, so I am quite happy to be a majority of one, fight my corner and take the childish bans as they arrive.

Edited by professor973 (Sun 29-Sep-13 12:57:46)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:56:59
Print Post

Are you saying that everything blocked on the internet is illegal?

Do you want to turn this into a thread of pointless questions?

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:58:04
Print Post

No, I'm expecting an answer.

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:00:55
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by professor973 (Sun 29-Sep-13 13:01:27)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:02:34
Print Post

As a quick test, I'm watching Chelsea TV on First Row Sports right now. I assume it's no longer illegal as it's no longer blocked.

(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:08:37
Print Post

The beauty of anything controlled by code, is that there will always be a way in, as banks have just found. It is also what keeps some of us hackers from wrecking phone boxes, or whatever they do these days!

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:11:50
Print Post

Does DRM block HD live streams that are relayed via unapproved sites?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:19:21
Print Post

With my law student hat on, I'd suggest it is necessary to define "illegal" in the context you are using it. The legality of an act is determined by applying the relevant law to the facts, and the absence of a relevant court ruling does not absolve you of possible liability.

If there was an injunction against you ordering you not to use a particular service, breaking that injunction is contempt of court, with penalties for an individual including imprisonment. In the absence of such an injunction (which you would know about, and so far injunctions relating to blocks requested by rights holders have applied only to certain ISPs), there is likely no criminal liability involved in using a service that infringes the copyright of rights holders.

However, the lack of a relevant injunction doesn't mean you are free to use an infringing service without risk of penalty. Civil penalties may apply, especially if you knew or ought reasonably to have known that the service infringes the copyright of the rights holders. It is arguable that being so much cheaper than the 'official' service amounts to 'ought to have known'. (N.B. I'm no expert on copyright law, but this is the general position in relation to civil wrongs, known as torts).

The copyright position may not be clear if the infringing service holds foreign rights, as was seen in the case of pubs showing Premier League matches using viewing cards sold with the consent of a rights holder elsewhere in the EU. It was held in the courts that EU laws on free movement permitted cross-border sales of such a service. There might have been a subsequent appeal against this ruling, which I've missed.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:21:41
Print Post

I think DRM needs an encrypted stream that can only be unencrypted by a licensed viewer on your device.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:14
Print Post

Here's a link about what you're referring to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:20
Print Post

It certainly is not against the law to discuss such a site, so I feel if this site was truly impartial and informative as fora should, then I certainly should not be told to shut up for the mention of such a site, so I am quite happy to be a majority of one, fight my corner and take the childish bans as they arrive.
The problem comes for the operators in this site. They could be construed as allowing dissemination of information on how to infringe copyright, which could open them to liability.

N.B. this is not legal advice, just my possibly wrong undergraduate understanding of the law.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:33:36
Print Post

And here's a link to the subsequent High Court decision based on the EEC ruling:
The High Court in London on Friday ruled that Karen Murphy's appeal over using the decoder to bypass controls over match screening must be allowed.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:33:55
Print Post

I think DRM needs an encrypted stream that can only be unencrypted by a licensed viewer on your device.

Yes I was thinking with DRM the encryption would have to be decoded before a live HD stream could be relayed to an end user from an unapproved site?

Not a big deal with pre-recorded stuff since one can see loads of copyright HD material uploaded to YouTube etc. from the BBC etc.

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 29-Sep-13 13:48:11)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:02:01
Print Post

Yes I was thinking with DRM the encryption would have to be decoded before a live HD stream could be relayed to an end user from an unapproved site?
I doubt that would be happening. It's far more likely that an unencrypted stream would be sourced rather than decrypting and re-broadcasting.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:06:10
Print Post

BT line rental going up to £15.99 in January, which is way above Zen at £11.22 with no tie in. All BT packages going up 6.5%, early leaving penalties 30% and speaking clock 6.5%. Not good when inflation is 2.5% and all in the name of making every customer pay for the 'Free' BT sport for some, which is only free to some of their rivals!

Of course them giving BT sport away to those who also have bt bb products is the reason why they are hiking the line rental prices again, and starting to charge for a cut down version of BT answer 1571 and caller id ,(BT privacy) Which i think is a major mistake on BT's part
And if these price increases will affect those who have been been on the same calling plan for several years ,as well as new customers,

Then they will certainly be loosing a lot of customers, and plusnet may get some ,but i think most will go for the cheapest available which plusnet isn't, And there's a rumour that they also intend on launching a TV service later this year, So their prices my see another hike in the near future too,if they follow BT and offer it free to some
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:20:58
Print Post

And here's a link to the subsequent High Court decision based on the EEC ruling:
The High Court in London on Friday ruled that Karen Murphy's appeal over using the decoder to bypass controls over match screening must be allowed.
That article was written by someone who doesn't understand the fundamentals of European Union law.

Domestic courts in the Member States are requested and, in some circumstances, compelled to refer doubtful questions of European Union law to the Court of Justice of the European Union (formerly the European Court of Justice) via the so-called reference procedure (Article 267 Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union). The CJEU is the the final arbiter on points of EU law (established in a long line of case law leading back to the seminal Van Gend case - Van Gend en Loos v Nederlandse Administratie der Belastingen (case 26/62) [1963] ECR 1).

In other words, the landlady didn't take her case to the CJEU, the UK did, and the involvement of the CJEU was an integrated part of one legal process rather than an extra step. When the case came to the High Court, the High Court framed the novel question of EU law and referred that to the CJEU using the Article 267 TFEU procedure, then was compelled to decide the case by implementing the CJEU's definitive ruling. There was only one forum within which the EU law matters could be fully explored, which was the CJEU.

Had the CJEU ruled previously on the same set of facts, the High Court would have been free to follow the previous CJEU ruling rather than re-refer the matter, even though the CJEU doesn't operate a formal system of binding precedent.

On very rare occasions, a domestic court finds a way to squirm round the edges of a potentially relevant CJEU ruling, usually by ruling there is a material (but maybe illusory) difference in the facts which invalidates the applicability of the CJEU ruling. It is rare for a domestic court to hold they are not bound by a seemingly relevant CJEU ruling, and extremely rare when the CJEU ruling came from referral of the case being decided. In other words, the High Court finding in this case was essentially a rubber stamping of the CJEU's decision.

This case does illustrate that those who say the EU always acts to restrict freedoms - indeed the EU is built on four key freedoms (freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and workers).

The primacy of the CJEU is to ensure legal certainty. If Member States were free to follow their own interpretation of EU law, then EU law would not be applied uniformly across the EU and nobody would know where they stood.

The author of the BBC piece probably got mixed up with the European Court of Human Rights. Making an individual petition to the ECtHR is an optional extra step once all domestic appeals have been exhausted. The ECtHR and the European Convention on Human Rights are instruments of the Council of Europe, not the EU, and several non-EU countries, notably including Russia, have ratified the ECHR and participate in the ECtHR processes. The UK was very involved in drafting the ECHR and one of the first to ratify it, in 1951.

The only direct links between the EU and ECHR are that it is mandatory for EU members to ratify the ECHR and participate in the ECtHR processes, also the EU itself has ratified the ECHR.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:22:17
Print Post

I will repeat we are not involved with any resizing of images hosted by external sites

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:33:33
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
And if these price increases will affect those who have been been on the same calling plan for several years ,as well as new customers,

Then they will certainly be loosing a lot of customers...

That includes me: I had a loyalty/retention evening and weekend 12 months contract with a line rental charge of £12.65 per month ("calling plan at a special rate" which included free caller ID etc.) At the end of the contract the monthly charge would have been increased to £18.75 on a monthly rolling contract and they would not negotiate a lower price monthly charge, so I left!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:35:48
Print Post

Free caller display
Seems to suggest that existing BT privacy customers can continue to get caller display free for 12mths But they will have to register for it, which will mean a new 12mth term for line rental ,So to avoid any price hikes for the next 12mths ditch the 1571 voice mail (unless that is free for 12mths too)
get line rental saver (stay on existing call plan) before jan 14 and register or pre register for free caller display ,as long as you are a BT pricacy customer there shouldn't be any problems, except maybe for the voice mail, they may say that its part of bt privacy and you have to have it should it not be included with the free caller display offer

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 29-Sep-13 14:48:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:39:13
Print Post

Post removed due to the amount of popups and offer issues, and question mark over whether site and its software app have permission to link to what may be free streams but supplied without without rights holders permission

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 15:09:24
Print Post

According to the links I supplied, the court has ruled that there is no copyright in the matches themselves.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:32:04
Print Post

I will repeat we are not involved with any resizing of images hosted by external sites
Somebody does seem to be missing the obvious points that the links he posted include .../scaled/800x600/... , clearly instructing the image hosting site to resize his images to 800x600.

Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 29-Sep-13 16:48:24
Print Post

Although if you've paid 12 months up front (Live Rental Saver), presumably you can't then sign up for another 12 months half-way though.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 17:34:49
Print Post

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

I suppose that you could, but you would loose any remaining unused credit ,as they wouldn't let you buy another 12 mths in advance, But from the info on the bt web site, to me it reads that if you are already a existing BT privacy customer, you can still get the caller display for 12mths free after the 4th Jan 14, So if your current line rental saver doesn't end until after this date then it should not matter,But it's best to check with someone in BT via e-mail or post, as then you have it in writing , and don't have to deal with the script monkeys that are all but useless

I know one thing , I'm not prepared to pay more for caller display or 1571, as they already charge the highest price for line rental even with LRS Wouldn't call it cheap Nor do i see why i should have to subsidise BT sport should i remain with BT

And Caller display IMO should be a free service offered by all telecoms suppliers as it's part of the service anyway, i can't see that it in any way costs BT more should CLI be enabled or not So why do they charge other SP's for it as presumably they do?

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 29-Sep-13 17:39:17)

Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 29-Sep-13 17:54:08
Print Post

Thanks for that Tommy. I'm waiting to see what is said by BT - if they get around to letting us all know officially.

Totally agree regarding the price of line rental and caller display, and will be looking elsewhere once the 12 months is up.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:47:23
Print Post

According to the links I supplied, the court has ruled that there is no copyright in the matches themselves.
That's certainly one of the knottier points of copyright law, in which I am no expert.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) defines works in which copyright subsists as original literary / dramatic / musical / artistic works (s. 1(1)(a)), sound recordings / films / broadcasts (s. 1(1)(b)) and the typography of published editions (s. 1(1)(c)).

The rights subsisting in copyright works are defined in s. 2, and the definitions of the types of works are expanded in ss. 3-5B. s. 6A extends copyright protection to certain satellite programming uplinked from a non-EU country that lacks EU equivalent copyright protection.

This means that there is no 'born copyright' (for want of a better phrase) in a sporting fixture. If you can find a vantage point to film it with a long lens without trespassing, you can do what you like with that coverage in which you own the copyright.

Those responsible for sporting fixtures operate by admitting only broadcasters to whom they have granted rights, and making it a condition of entry (and therefore enforceable via contract law) that permission to enter the ground is conditional on not making any recording or broadcast of the event. In reality, there's little they can do about people filming using their mobile phones, but that's not broadcast quality anyway (though it is a pain when some idiot insists on holding up their mobile phone in front of you, and dodges across your field of view every time they are blocked, especially if you are a wheelchair user like me).

However, the material filmed by the organisers or directly by the rights-holding broadcasters is subject to copyright. I fully agree with the ruling of the CJEU in the case mentioned earlier in this thread - the EU freedoms permit the use of legitimate subscriptions to services in other EU countries, with any breach of territorial restrictions (in either the agreement between the sporting organisation and the broadcaster, or because someone is selling the subscriptions in a country prohibited by the terms of the contract) being a purely contractual matter.

The enforcement of territorial rights on the Internet is notoriously fickle. The geolocation databases are not all that accurate, and there are plenty of ways to present your traffic as originating in another country.

I strongly feel we need a much more holistic and liberated view of rights in this Internet age. I'm very happy to pay for the content I use, and am heartily fed up of petty restrictions imposed by rights holders.

I have little interest in sport, and am adequately served by the sport channels I have as part of the Virgin XL package (including BT Sports HD and Eurosport HD) for the limited amount of sport I watch.

I notice a lot of petty restrictions with music. I subscribe to Spotify Premium and make quite heavy use of it. I'm fed up of albums on Spotify with tracks missing, even for users on the paid-for Spotify services. Sometimes the missing tracks destroy the integrity of the whole work - I've come across musicals with tracks missing, though albums in the genres I mostly listen to (primarily the kind of material you'd find on Radio 3) are usually complete.

The problem of missing tracks is likely to be because something somewhere in the various rights chains (copyright in the words and music, copyright in the performance, record company copyright in the finished product) didn't anticipate the modern Internet age and either granted the online rights to a different party or didn't grant the rights relevant to online use to anyone. I know there is controversy about how little streaming music services pay per play, which means artists make very little from streaming plays compared to CD and download sales, but there's only so much users will pay for these services and if they feel they are not value for money, there's plenty of pirated music swilling around on the Internet.

More annoying still is when tracks that were on Spotify disappear over time. This is less easy to justify and sometimes feels like a bait and switch to get users to like an album before being forced to buy the album or download to continue listening. A notable example of this was the first disc of the "Isles of Wonder" double CD of music from the London 2012 Olympics - the one with the music from the opening ceremony itself. When it first appeared on Spotify, it was almost complete - I think there were two tracks missing, presumably for rights reasons, one of which was the "Chariots of Fire" arrangement (nothing special, as the Mr Bean bit rapidly grows tiring, and the original Vangelis version is on Spotify anyway, both the full 20 minute original and the more normal 3.5 minute edit). All the specially composed music from the opening ceremony was on Spotify initially.

Over time, more and more disappeared. After a few weeks "Caliban's Dream" disappeared (the track from end of the ceremony when they lit the cauldron), which was the most popular track on Spotify, if I remember correctly. More recently "And I Will Kiss" disappeared (the track from the Pandemonium scene that started with all the drummers). Those two tracks together were arguably the two musical highlights, not least as most of the rest of the material used was arrangements of well-known material or material which had previously been released commercially rather than being wholly original.

Looking on Spotify now, I can't find the album at all. The last time I checked, there were only about four tracks left anyway.

I'm sure many of the same frustrations apply to sports fans. For commercial and competition reasons, sports are being spread across a multitude of services, with all manner of restrictions around them with the aim of gouging money from fans. It seems to have escaped the idiots responsible for competition regulation that forcing the Premier League live rights to be split between two or more broadcasters would not break Sky's monopoly, but would merely drive up the price Sky pays (and therefore charges its customers) to ensure it secured the bulk of the rights, whilst creating a second commercial competitor to Sky to which avid football fans would also need to subscribe.

If you want to follow the Premier League live in HD using the official UK rights holding broadcasters, you need a Sky Sports subscription plus Sky's HD supplement (whether on Virgin or on the satellite platform - there are no HD supplements normally on Virgin but Sky insisted on an HD supplement for the HD versions of the Sky movies and Sky sports channels). You also need BT Sports HD, which means Virgin's XL package, or a BT Broadband product and pay the HD supplement to have the HD channels activated on your Sky card, or stream in HD from BT if you have a good enough BT broadband connection. I may have got the details of some of the packages and supplements wrong, as they are always changing - but that's part of the problem.

Charging HD supplements is particularly galling considering that the HD versions of the channels are on the broadcast platforms anyway.

If I still followed Formula 1 and wanted to watch live in HD, I'd be out of luck. Some races are on BBC One HD - but for those races on Sky F1, the only answer is the Sky platform, as Sky will only let Virgin have the SD version of Sky F1. I have no line of sight to any of the geostationary satellites due to a line of ancient and protected trees running across the south of my garden, which means I cannot watch any of the satellite based services. That's part of the problem - not everyone can access every service.

Instead of buying what you want, you are forced to subscribe to multiple packages (including a whole bunch of stuff you don't want), often across multiple platforms or channel bundles. There's some channels I watch occasionally on Virgin where the sole HD rights appear to have been sold to the satellite platform - in particular History HD has been on the satellite platform for a long time but shows no sign of appearing on Virgin. I'm fairly sure Sky are still refusing to let Virgin have Sky Atlantic HD, too (though it's of no interest to me as I don't pay for the Sky Movies pack).

It's no wonder these petty marketing restrictions that massively inflate the charges people are expected to pay drives people to online services which source material via somewhat dubious routes. Many people simply haven't got £40+ per month to spend on sport channel subscriptions.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:53:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
And Caller display IMO should be a free service offered by all telecoms suppliers as it's part of the service anyway, i can't see that it in any way costs BT more should CLI be enabled or not So why do they charge other SP's for it as presumably they do?
Unfortunately the landline companies have always charged ridiculous prices for additional services that cost next to nothing to provide from modern digital exchanges, and which are accepted to be part of the base service on mobile networks.

For a laugh, price up a BT Retail line with Choose to Refuse (anonymous call rejection), the full version of Call Minder (voicemail with remote retrieval), Call Waiting, Call Diversion, Call Barring, unlimited Ring Back When Free, and unlimited Three Way Calling. I can do all these things for no additional charge on my contract Vodafone, though a couple of them are handled by the handset rather than the network (anonymous call rejection is a handset feature, whilst ring back is implemented by repeated redialling based on a timer).

Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:57:44
Print Post

I am nearly 12 months into my 18 month contract with BT for Infinity Option 2 with evening & weekend calls. If I understand correctly I will have the option of terminating my contract early.
If you're still in contract, under BT's terms and conditions, as a price rise is considered to be to your "detriment", you have 10 days from receiving notice of a price rise directly from BT to terminate your contract without incurring an early termination fee.

So would this apply to me for both my broadband & line rental?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 29-Sep-13 21:28:31
Print Post

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

that depends if they, or you, or OFCOM, or a Court are of the opinion that the price rise is "to your detriment". This has been taken to mean if it exceeds the RPI, for example.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/01/03/ofcom-sets-out-...

Unless your contract specifies a fixed price it isn't a breach of contract, so it's in the woolly area of unfair contract terms legislation.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User jrawle
(regular) Tue 01-Oct-13 13:23:36
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Does anyone know what happens if you take up the option to leave early? Has anyone ever done it? Will they provide a MAC and allow you to do everything as with a standard switch? Or do they just cut you off straight away?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Oct-13 14:09:47
Print Post

[re: jrawle] [link to this post]

If you exercise your rights under the contract then ask for the MAC and use this when migrating, or if its Full LLU you goto the new provider won't need it, but still good to ask for.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:23:43
Print Post

[re: jrawle] [link to this post]

Asking for MAC only means you are thinking of leaving; nothing definate. So they can't cut you off.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Oct-13 17:02:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

As long as one doesn't say "I want to end my contract", or "I want to close my account".

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-Oct-13 17:05:50)

Standard User AlistairS
(member) Tue 01-Oct-13 20:21:59
Print Post

So there would be no harm in asking for a MAC now ahead of an official announcement?

Just been looking around considering PN deal on both landline & FTTC 80/20.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Oct-13 21:25:51
Print Post

I received my email from BT about this today. That offers me the option of leaving my phone contract without penalty while still within the minimum term.

If that's what you want to do, which your question implies, then it would be best to wait until you receive the email that says the same regarding phone and broadband. If you ask for a MAC before that things could get messy.

It's even possible they would let you move the phone but hold you to the term for broadband. Seeing as I'm not with BT for broadband my email doesn't mention it.

Standard User AlistairS
(member) Tue 01-Oct-13 21:33:04
Print Post

I received my email from BT about this today. That offers me the option of leaving my phone contract without penalty while still within the minimum term.

If that's what you want to do, which your question implies, then it would be best to wait until you receive the email that says the same regarding phone and broadband. If you ask for a MAC before that things could get messy.

It's even possible they would let you move the phone but hold you to the term for broadband. Seeing as I'm not with BT for broadband my email doesn't mention it.

Thanks, will wait & see what my email/letter says. Just think its an opportunity to look at the alternatives.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Wed 02-Oct-13 17:27:23
Print Post

Ironically I got an email today about my line rental advance being up at the end of this month. However, nothing about the price increases yet. Anyone else still waiting to hear from them?
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Wed 02-Oct-13 17:45:49
Print Post

Not heard anything either.
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:37:59
Print Post

despite 2.3 billion profit last year.

Watchdog's dig at Ian Livingstone was classic. Another MP who is going to screw this country dry.

"
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:53:38
Print Post

Watchdog did seem to have an obsession with payouts and salaries yesterday - is it really that relevant what they earn as a way to suggest they can afford it so don't care about others. Watchdog is as bad as tabloid press most of the time.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 13:04:49
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

No mention of the free caller display option for 12 mths if you take the LRS for another year, or how you go about opting out of bt answer 1571,

What my plan is, take lrs with the caller diplay offer and cancel the bt answer 1571 as i ain't gonna give the theives at BT £1.75 per month for something that rarely is used and imo isn't worth £1.75 per month

Screen cap of the E mail from BT

Terms and conditions

*Calls of up to an hour to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, excluding the Channel Islands. Other exclusions apply.
1. BT Answer 1571: Opt-in required. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed.

2. BT Privacy with Caller Display: Opt-in required. Includes registration by BT on the Telephone Preference Scheme (TPS) and Caller Display. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed. Caller Display equipment required. Allow 28 days for activation of the TPS service. Terms apply.

3. Line Rental Saver: You can pay for your monthly line rental either by Direct Debit for £15.45 (rising to £15.99 on 4 January 2014) a month (standard line rental) or by paying £141 by credit/debit card for 12 months in advance (Line Rental Saver) which is equivalent to £11.75 a month. You'll need to pay any additional call charges by Direct Debit. You'll receive e-billing. Connection charges may apply and there's a 12-month minimum term for new connections. Exclusions and conditions apply.

4. BT SmartTalk: You'll need a BT home calling plan and an iPhone/Android smartphone connected to wi-fi or an internet connection. Use BT SmartTalk to access calls included as part of your calling plan, when using your smartphone. Five users per BT account. GMT time zone applies. International, Premium (09) and Personal (070) calls require an opt-in but are not included in this offer.
Fair Use Policy applies. Excludes BT Basic. See bt.com/free60 for details. Terms apply. Offer ends 31 January 2014:
60 minutes of free calls per month throughout 2014 for BT SmartTalk customers. Each user (up to a maximum of 5) registered against your BT SmartTalk account will get the first 60 minutes of chargeable calls they make using the BT SmartTalk service free. Unused monthly allowance cannot be carried over to the following month or transferred between users on a single account. Value of free calls for each user will be shown on the account holder's bill and total value will be applied as a discount.
BT reserves the right to end the offer at any time, including before the published end date.

The above deals are subject to availability, terms and prices may change during the contract period. See our terms and conditions at bt.com/terms

If this change means you want to end your service, you can do that by telling us within ten days of receipt of this email without needing to pay a charge for ending your contract early.

Please don't reply to this email – it's been automatically generated by our computer. If you need to get in touch, please use the contact links above. We sent this email to you from [email protected] because you are a BT customer.

Calls to 0871 cost a maximum of 10.2p per minute plus 13.87p set-up fee (increasing to 14.76p on 4 January 2014); calls to 070 cost no more than 51p per minute, with a maximum set-up charge of 51p. See bt.com/personal/pricing

© British Telecommunications plc 2013. We're registered in England at 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ (company number 1800000). All this information was correct 1 October 2013.

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 03-Oct-13 13:18:28)

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 13:49:46
Print Post

As they're going to start charging for these Calling Features, they need to make it a heck of a lot simpler to see what features you actually do have.

The only way I can see at present is to start an order for calling features which, after about three pages, finally lists the current features. Even then, having a simple list with checkboxes to select or de-select isn't complicated enough for them.

Having seen what features you have, you then have to cancel the order but you leave not being entirely certain whether you've cancelled ALL your calling features, just the ones you wanted to cancel, or none of them!

John

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (Infinity 1 - 37.6/8.4Mbps)
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 15:04:14
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

Well if i can't get no sense for anyone at BT i'll be switching supplier or downgrading from the anytime unlimited to the free call plan, and just use over ride providers for day time calls , either way i won't be paying more it's them who will loose, hopefully from a lot of other customers as well as myself,
Does zen charge or block calls made via18185 ?

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 03-Oct-13 15:59:21)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 23:57:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by John_ON:
As they're going to start charging for these Calling Features, they need to make it a heck of a lot simpler to see what features you actually do have.

Does anyone subscribed to Anytime Calls find that "My BT" tells you you have Weekend calls only?

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 01:32:12
Print Post

they need to make it a heck of a lot simpler to see what features you actually do have.
It's been discussed here before but anyone with someone else's phone # & postcode can view and change their Calling Features. Similarly with Calling Plan.

Aside from doing it thro' your own MyBT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 08:15:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Aside from doing it thro' your own MyBT.

The links in My BT just seem to shunt people to the links you gave previously, and it asks for a phone number and postcode even when logged in.

That's the main problem really, the calling plan and calling features order options are always disconnected from authenticated My BT logins.

Oliver.
(committed) Fri 04-Oct-13 10:57:19
Print Post

Yes, because it is classed as an add-on

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 11:20:42
Print Post

Yes, because it is classed as an add-on

But add-ons are not shown in the My BT panel?

Oliver.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 12:35:59
Print Post

Does anyone subscribed to Anytime Calls find that "My BT" tells you you have Weekend calls only?
Yes - this is a known bug in the website, but the bills work out correctly.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 12:48:28
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I used to hate having to log-in to my BT account to download the pdf bill - couldn't do it from the email. As long as I can remember the BT site has always had some bug or another. End of contract date was something I could never find also...
(committed) Fri 04-Oct-13 13:15:55
Print Post

No they are not, the whole BT website is a mess that really needs sorting out, there needs to be clear links to show exactly what packages you have and how to amend them, Sky is no better, they reel you in once you have taken a bite of the hook, and then make it as difficult as possible to change to lower package.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 13:25:31
Print Post

Sky is no better, they reel you in once you have taken a bite of the hook, and then make it as difficult as possible to change to lower package.

I know downgrading TV packages is impossible via the control panel, that's a retention policy I think.

My Sky does at least show "Anytime" packages and "Caller display" when activated:

http://s14.postimg.org/u8ne4lbs1/sky.png

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 14:32:01
Print Post

The links in My BT just seem to shunt people to the links you gave previously, and it asks for a phone number and postcode even when logged in.
No, it doesn't for me. When logged in to MyBT, it has phone # (& account) already filled in and no mention of postcode (unless you select someone else's #), thus:
* XRaySpeX Home
Phone Number 01234567890
Account Number TH98765432

0 Or enter the details of another phone line *

# I confirm that I am the account holder
whereas the public screen gives only:
Phone number * ___________
Postcode * ______________
Don't know postcode?

# I confirm I am the account holder
i.e. the 'enter the details of another phone line' of the logged in one.

Also with the logged-in one you don't need to confirm you are the account holder. grin Notice the additional word 'that' in the logged-in confirmation.

EDIT: I thought from our other discussion on QLT that you are on Sky, so won't have a MyBT login.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 04-Oct-13 14:39:58)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 14:42:27
Print Post

Perhaps it's to do with the route taken.

On the screen "Hi <your name>" what do you click on to upgrade your calling plan?

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 14:43:30
Print Post

EDIT: I thought from our other discussion on QLT that you are on Sky, so won't have a MyBT login.

Correct, but I know someone who is.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 15:10:24
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband & Phone - Price Increase - EDITED

They make it convoluted but try following this:
  • On 'Hi you' page, scroll down to 'My Products / My Phone'
  • Click on 'Customise your phone line'. Now here's the rub: not everyone has this. I do, but my daughter doesn't. We have reported this to BT and they are investigating. Maybe your friend is in same boat. EDIT: If you can't see this link, use the links I gave earlier in this thread and it takes you the logged-in versions.
  • Leads you to a 'My Phone' page. Click on 'Your Calling Plan' in L menu.
  • Click on 'Change Your Calling Plan' button at top R.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 04-Oct-13 15:13:37)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 16:20:24
Print Post

Click on 'Customise your phone line'. Now here's the rub: not everyone has this. I do, but my daughter doesn't. We have reported this to BT and they are investigating. Maybe your friend is in same boat.

Yep, "customise your phone line" is missing from the "My BT" in question.

The account is only a couple of months old though, how old is yours and your daughter's accounts?

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 16:49:03
Print Post

Both for years. My daughter's only disappeared recently. Hence the complaint to BT.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 17:43:25
Print Post

Both for years. My daughter's only disappeared recently. Hence the complaint to BT.

Ah right, age of account probably has no bearing then. I have noticed that new account numbers now all start "GB" whereas they used to match the first two letters of the exchange code, but that probably has no bearing on anything.

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Oct-13 17:52:49
Print Post

used to match the first two letters of the exchange code
This is the region, e.g. SM = South Midlands. I guess the region has long since ceased to have any significance for the way BT Retail operate - they deal with BT Openreach in the same way wherever you live. Indeed, I wonder if the region has any ongoing operational significance to BT Openreach.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 18:57:03
Print Post

This is the region, e.g. SM = South Midlands.
It must be less than that, a sub-Region. I'm in South East Region, but my exchange code starts with 'TH', which I guess stands for Thames Valley.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Oct-13 19:35:48
Print Post

This is the region, e.g. SM = South Midlands.
It must be less than that, a sub-Region. I'm in South East Region, but my exchange code starts with 'TH', which I guess stands for Thames Valley.

I thought they were billing offices. I'm also TH.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User panda
(committed) Sat 05-Oct-13 09:19:59
Print Post

Thameswey.
The initial two letters refer to old District areas - essentially (what was) an area of responsibility for a Telephone General Manager
e.g. SM - South Mids, ND - North Downs (& Weald), SD - South Downs, LS - London South, CL - City of London etc.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Mon 07-Oct-13 20:05:10
Print Post

I still haven't got the letter/email but phoned them up, asked for mac code & got the run around. One person said £78 for cancelling, another £108 & another said no penalty. However, they don't seem to put any notes on your account so I could see you being hit with a cancellation fee. I didn't cancel with BT as I don't want the situation where I would be without my services.

UPDATE

I have gone through TopCashBack & signed up to PlusNet Fibre unlimited with anytime calls & line rental up front. I will phone BT again tomorrow & no doubt go through the same conversations again. However, I will tell them I am leaving but not to put a cease on the line.

Edited by AlistairS (Mon 07-Oct-13 22:13:22)

Standard User fernandez
(committed) Thu 10-Oct-13 22:34:41
Print Post

Apologies if this link has been given previously
https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/lo...

It will tell you how much you broadband package will increase in January

This is in addition to line rental, call charges. connection fee increases as well as Caller Display and 1571 charges
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Thu 10-Oct-13 22:42:10
Print Post

[re: fernandez] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fernandez:
Apologies if this link has been given previously
https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/lo...

It will tell you how much you broadband package will increase in January

This is in addition to line rental, call charges. connection fee increases as well as Caller Display and 1571 charges
Thanks, when I spoke to them earlier this week they said that my BB wasn't increasing but it clearly is & that I would be charged a cancellation fee on my BB but not my landline - lies. Have taken a pdf copy as proof.
Standard User thar
(experienced) Fri 11-Oct-13 06:45:30
Print Post

I discovered this link last night. I had read that people in contract had been told their broadband was not increasing, yet this shows mine is also. Only by £1.67, but I'm hoping this allows me out of contract. I have emailed BT for confirmation, then I intend to get a MAC and move to Plusnet.

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 12-Oct-13 08:21:50
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

yes mine is been bumped also, its not mentioned the caller display fee on that page tho, I had to click on the full details link.

So if I understand right.

Caller display was previously free if made enough chargeable calls per month (I think 2?) but otherwise £1.50.
Now its £1.75 regardless if making calls or not.
On mobiles caller display comes as standard.

BT's inclusive call packages continue to not include mobile numbers. Mobile inclusive minutes do include mobile numbers.

The pay per minute BT will be charging is now more than what O2 charge me for non inclusive minutes. I pay 6p min on O2 to landlines, BT is 9p min. O2 also charge me 16p to mobiles, BT is 12p. Overall O2 far superior for me given I have 800mins which I pretty much never exceed.

BT still free to 0800 but soon 0800 will also be free on mobiles, and I have free 0800 on my giffgaff phone. do connection charges apply on 0800 calls?

15p connection charge, this one the real eye opener, crazy stuff.

I think landlines for calls are almost obselete in the home. If it wasnt for DSL saving their landline sub's, BT would be in serious trouble in the consumer market. A while ago landlines did have the advantage they were way cheaper than mobiles but I think that isnt the case now.

Even PAYG mobile user's have the advantage they have no monthly rental to pay.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 11:50:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
BT still free to 0800 but soon 0800 will also be free on mobiles, and I have free 0800 on my giffgaff phone. do connection charges apply on 0800 calls?

No connection fee to 0800 on BT.

I think landlines for calls are almost obselete in the home. If it wasnt for DSL saving their landline sub's, BT would be in serious trouble in the consumer market. A while ago landlines did have the advantage they were way cheaper than mobiles but I think that isnt the case now.

Landline providers usually charge around £5 a month for unlimited anytime calls to 01/02/03 landlines and 0845/0870 numbers, which I think is pretty good value.

Charges to mobiles are a different matter, but I think if landline providers don't pass on the savings from the recent termination rate cuts, that Ofcom will step in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12743038

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 15:33:27
Print Post

My O2 mobile SIM only is 300 minutes to any mobile network, unlimited calls to landlines starting with 01 and 02, and unlimited internet. No FUP/AUP, but no tethering allowed unless they have added it without my noticing - that's unlikely.

Never use the landline, (which has E & W included in the standard rental), in the day for 01 or 02, though my wife did a bit, and no need to for such in the evening either. I have BT SmartTalk on my mobile for anything that would be chargeable on it, but that would anyway be insignificant compared to what caller display and 1571 are now going to cost.

It may be time, with great reluctance, to look around, There are a number of WLR suppliers at under £12 rental.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 15:39:15
Print Post

My O2 mobile SIM only is 300 minutes to any mobile network, unlimited calls to landlines starting with 01 and 02, and unlimited internet. No FUP/AUP, but no tethering allowed unless they have added it without my noticing - that's unlikely.

How much do you pay for that?

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 15:55:30
Print Post

Originally £15 for the mobile side plus £5 for the unlimited internet, so £15, which with the Vat increase went to £15.62 and has just gone up to £15.74.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:11:37
Print Post

Originally £15 for the mobile side plus £5 for the unlimited internet, so £15, which with the Vat increase went to £15.62 and has just gone up to £15.74.

Not bad at all. If I remember rightly you are far from a heavy downloader on broadband.

So, can you ditch the landline altogether and just tether your PC to the mobile for internet (putting it in wifi hotspot mode)?

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:34:53
Print Post

No connection fee to 0800 on BT.

Landline providers usually charge around £5 a month for unlimited anytime calls to 01/02/03 landlines and 0845/0870 numbers, which I think is pretty good value.

Charges to mobiles are a different matter, but I think if landline providers don't pass on the savings from the recent termination rate cuts, that Ofcom will step in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12743038

usually? BT now £7 for that.

Since my mobikle covers all my needs (and I think is same for many people) why would I pay BT £7 for unlimited calls. On top of £15 line rental (if no line saver up front payment) thats £22 for a phone thats stuck in a static location with no caller display. Bad pricing for sure.

The only thing better on landlines (BT lines) really is 0845, and of course business and even various government love to use 0845/0844 numbers The inclusive 0845 is almost useless as I think its rare I ring up these numbers on a weekend. but bizzarely on BT 0845 is pretty cheap to call anyway, on any other network 0845 is more like a premium rate number but its very cheap on BT lines.

The bad news is when the 0800 changes come in at the same time we can expect an increased 0845 cost as the reason is related to ofcom regulation which is going to change.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:37:10
Print Post

How much do you pay for that?

yeah I forgot to mention I also have unlimted landline calls, they dont go out my 800 minutes.

I pay £13.50 month O2 have gave me no annual increases whatsoever since I signed up to my package 5 or so years ago. My package is no longer possible to buy, the unlimited landlines is via a bolt on which they dont do anymore.

However O2 do now do a new completely unlimited package which includes mobiles, landlines (not 08xx) but £22 sim free I think. Still better value than BT tho.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 12-Oct-13 18:38:51)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:57:19
Print Post

usually? BT now £7 for that.

BT are milking it. Talktalk, Sky, Plusnet and everyone else charge around a fiver.

Since my mobikle covers all my needs (and I think is same for many people) why would I pay BT £7 for unlimited calls.

Indeed, why would you. I think there are a lot of people on PAYG mobiles though (I am one of them).

Oliver.
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 09:45:19
Print Post

Still free if you pay LRS from what I read and as mine is paid up until EO March, looks like I'm stuck with a BT line until then, but I could probably save some money by moving my Infinity2 package to someone else.

Caller display was previously free if made enough chargeable calls per month (I think 2?) but otherwise £1.50.
Now its £1.75 regardless if making calls or not.
On mobiles caller display comes as standard.

I find the best solution is to always call mobile numbers from a mobile or use 18866

BT's inclusive call packages continue to not include mobile numbers. Mobile inclusive minutes do include mobile numbers.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 09:53:21
Print Post

Okay if you make lots of calls, but not if you only make a couple of calls a month, I'm going to ditch mine and use 18866 (shame they don't include 0844 numbers)

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 09:56:17
Print Post

Okay if you make lots of calls, but not if you only make a couple of calls a month, I'm going to ditch mine and use 18866 (shame they don't include 0844 numbers)

Even more of a shame is that 18866 often messes up outgoing caller display.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 13-Oct-13 09:57:12)

(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 10:05:26
Print Post

I've never been on the receiving end of one of their calls, so perhaps you can enlighten me.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 10:12:02
Print Post

I've never been on the receiving end of one of their calls, so perhaps you can enlighten me.

I stopped using 18866 when it became clear many people saw my caller id come through as "international" or "unavailable" and didn't pick up the phone.

Oliver.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 10:13:25
Print Post

Problem is if 0844 was included then all companies would change to another 084* paid for number. This is not the fault of BT.
I will stay with BT not worth change for limited saving.
LRS and £5 anytime calls with 6p Mobile calls + 15p set up. Privacy free for another year with registration..
Cancel 1571 and use answer phone.
I have sky TV but have to pay to phone them, now that is a rip off IMO
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 10:19:26
Print Post

Ah!, thanks for that, so far I've only ever used it for International calls, but it could still be useful for calls to companies, government etc, I tend to use my mobile for calls to friends and relatives.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 10:24:27
Print Post

Ah!, thanks for that, so far I've only ever used it for International calls, but it could still be useful for calls to companies, government etc, I tend to use my mobile for calls to friends and relatives.

Yeah, disappointing for me though since 18866 is very cheap. I did contact their customer services about it but they said outgoing caller display cannot be guaranteed due to the variable low-cost routing they use for calls.

Fair enough for the price, but reliable outgoing caller display isn't really optional in these days of junk calls aplenty.

Oliver.
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:05:08
Print Post

I have both Sky and BT TV, thinking of ditching Sky if I can get the extra channels working on the YouView boxes.

Anytime calls is going up to £7
I've never used 1571 seeing as my phone & Router have answerphone ability

Haven't tried it myself but got this number from somewhere to get through to Sky 01506 421 707

I hate 08xx numbers except of course 0800, I think they should do away with them all and use geographic codes, now that most people get them for free on mobile and other packages.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:24:40
Print Post

Yes it's a shame really, but still useful for me seeing as I don't make that many calls from my landline anyway, mostly to Government organisations, like Mencap, local council and companies that I buy things from, although the latter is mostly done on-line anyway.

Seeing as my LRS doesn't expire until end of March, I cannot really do anything until then, but will seriously be looking at PlusNet for BB/Phone, except that i would probably then have to keep Sky for the programs I like to watch, or look at TalkTalk for everything, which I don't think is an option given they have a poor reputation

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:57:16
Print Post

Anytime calls is going up to £7

It's been £7 since April for new customers, are existing customers still paying the old price?

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 12:17:10
Print Post

It's been £7 since April for new customers, are existing customers still paying the old price?
Yes, or even less grin.

(committed) Sun 13-Oct-13 12:45:44
Print Post

From my last bill:
Anytime calls add-on 28 Sep-27 Oct 13 £ 5.15
This is the cost of your Anytime calls add-on charged in advance (£5.15 a
month)

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 13:57:34
Print Post

That's more reasonable. £7 is a silly price when compared to the other providers.

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Oct-13 14:16:13
Print Post

BT Retail charge for call packages per account, not per line. This makes them a better deal for those of us with two lines than other providers, even though I'd get a considerable discount from Zen if I moved my FTTC line to Zen.

My eventual intention is to move my second line to a VoIP provider, then move the FTTC line to Zen.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 13-Oct-13 14:56:57
Print Post

Maybe so but £5 doesnt make it much better value than £7.

If it wasnt for DSL making you have to pay for a line I am pretty sure you would get a better mobile deal than 15 line rental + 5 for unlimited calls excluding mobiles and + whatever fee for caller display.

Given how limited a landline is and the poor quality (my line is very low audio signal both ways) I would probably pay BT £2 at the absolute most for unlimited calls. Which in reality is £19, when factoring in the line rental and caller display.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 13-Oct-13 14:58:17
Print Post

I stopped using 18866 when it became clear many people saw my caller id come through as "international" or "unavailable" and didn't pick up the phone.

yes I see that when my parents ring me on my landline but my mobile shows a number. Another limitation of BT lines there, it doesnt show international numbers.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 15:58:11
Print Post

£7 is a silly price when compared to the other providers.
I believe the new £7 Anytime plan includes cheaper mobile calls than the old £5.15 plan.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Oct-13 16:28:49
Print Post

Irrelevant if you always use your mobile to call mobiles smile.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 18:38:59
Print Post

Conversely, relevant if you do use your landline to call mobiles.

Standard User harryf200
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 17:18:01
Print Post

Is it possible to use 18866 with the new Infinity Broadband, then?
(committed) Fri 18-Oct-13 17:51:45
Print Post

[re: harryf200] [link to this post]

The phone side for BT lines is no different so the answer is YES

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User harryf200
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 21:46:42
Print Post

Thanks for that. I knew it would be for their ADL broadband but I was not sure about the fibre optic service. Much obliged!
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:20:11
Print Post

Must admit I'm confused by thee posts on this topic here and elsewhere. And the email from BT isn't helpful.

We are currently on a BT telephone line package "Unlimited Anytime Calls" with "inclusive calls to UK Landlines Anytime". The My Products page also says
Included in your phone package
* Unlimited calls to UK landlines at any time
* Inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers at any time
* Get BT privacy, BT answer 1571, and BT 1471 calling features at no extra cost
We pay the line rental annually so it's Line Rental Saver, this will be due for renewal in mid-November and are currently likely to do so.

We have never used BT voicemail (1571) nor do we intend to do so.

I realise that the line rental is likely to increase but what I'm really not sure is whether we will incur any additional charges for Caller Display or similar.

Anyone able to help?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:26:20
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I realise that the line rental is likely to increase but what I'm really not sure is whether we will incur any additional charges for Caller Display or similar.

Yes, unless you sign up for free caller display: http://www.bt.com/freecallerdisplay

Note: you have to do this to continue to get free caller display.

Oliver.
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:33:55
Print Post

That page includes the phrase
Pre-register before 6th December 2013. Provision on or after 6th December 2013. Pre-registration available only to existing BT Privacy with Caller Display customers – excludes customers with other varieties of Caller Display such as Caller Display as part of a Calling Features Pack.
So does our Anytime package put us in the excluded category? After all I'm not directly a "BT Privacy with Caller Display" customer.

Or am I?

confused

[Edit : too many commas]

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Fri 25-Oct-13 13:34:55)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:41:14
Print Post

Or am I?

If you get caller display for free now, you are eligible for that offer.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 14:00:00
Print Post

So does our Anytime package put us in the excluded category?
No, Anytime does not include any type of Caller Display; it's a paid-for add-on Calling Feature.
After all I'm not directly a 'BT Privacy with Caller Display' customer.
Probably not. There are 2 variants of BT Privacy; one 'With Caller Display'; and one w/out. That latter remains free after Jan; it's the the former that is being charged £1.75 pm after Jan. It sounds as tho' you have the latter, but you should check your Calling Features in your MyBT a/c. It's not obvious that there are 2 types of BT Privacy.

(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 07:56:56
Print Post

So does our Anytime package put us in the excluded category?
No, Anytime does not include any type of Caller Display; it's a paid-for add-on Calling Feature.
I have Caller Display but, as it says in My BT and in the OP
Get BT privacy, BT answer 1571, and BT 1471 calling features at no extra cost
and there's nothing in the My Extras section of My BT. But I do have Caller Display. I guess the question is What is it in my package that gives me Caller Display?.

Given that we are likely to renew the annual line payment then I can see no reason not to pre-register for Caller Display with its 12-month term implication.

Tony
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 10:32:04
Print Post

I think you have got to have Caller display before you can pre-register: "BT Privacy with Caller Display will cost £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014, but existing customers of the service can pre-register to continue getting it free for 12 months. Find out more and register at bt.com/freecallerdisplay."
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 11:00:43
Print Post

But I do have Caller Display. I guess the question is What is it in my package that gives me Caller Display?.

If you have free caller display, at some point knowingly or unknowingly you signed up to "BT Privacy with free Caller Display".

In that case, you can get free caller display on 4 Jan, so pre-register now.

Oliver.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 26-Oct-13 12:53:20
Print Post

We have the same package as yourself, with line rental paid in advance, we don't use 1571, and were equally puzzled until a BT email five days ago:
In January, BT Answer 1571 is changing.1 You'll be able to keep more messages for longer and check them remotely. From 4 January 2014 this service will be £1.75 a month.
If you have BT Privacy with Caller Display it will cost you £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014. But you can sign up and get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for a year (a new 12-month line rental contract applies)

The way BT has been hiking its prices we aren't prepared to accept yet another year's contract which presumably applies after our existing one ends in August next year. Like so many 'free' offers BT's caller display has strings attached.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:09:04
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Hopefully "a new 12-month line rental contract applies" doesn't affect existing Line Rental Saver arrangements.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:41:28
Print Post

there's nothing in the My Extras section of My BT. But I do have Caller Display. I guess the question is What is it in my package that gives me Caller Display?.
It's not under My Extras; it's in your Calling Features as I said. Try from 'Customise your phone line' under My Phone.

(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 17:44:52
Print Post

Thanks. Eventually found under a heading of Phone: Calling Features BT Privacy at Home with Caller Display at a charge of £0.00.

So I need to register to continue to get Caller Display for free.

Tony
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 18:19:45
Print Post

I believe pre-registering for free BT Privacy and Caller Display will bind you in to a new 12 months contract but if you are happy to stay with BT Retail for line rental then that's fine smile
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 19:35:24
Print Post

I've pre-registered but, as I started a new Infinity contract in September, I'm tied into BT until November 2014 anyway.

John.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 19:51:45
Print Post

Will there be a slight overlap with the new line rental contract lasting a bit longer than the broadband?
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 19:59:15
Print Post

I believe pre-registering for free BT Privacy and Caller Display will bind you in to a new 12 months contract but if you are happy to stay with BT Retail for line rental then that's fine smile
As I said upthread
Given that we are likely to renew the annual line payment then I can see no reason not to pre-register for Caller Display with its 12-month term implication.
so have no intention for the time being of leaving BT Retail for telephone.

Tony
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 20:48:56
Print Post

Will there be a slight overlap with the new line rental contract lasting a bit longer than the broadband?

So for someone 1 month into an 18 month contract, absolutely no reason not to commit to 12 months!

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Oct-13 20:58:57
Print Post

Ah! An 18 month contract from September, I read it as only being tied to BT Retail until November 2014 smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 26-Oct-13 21:47:05
Print Post

Yes, unless you sign up for free caller display: http://www.bt.com/freecallerdisplay

Note: you have to do this to continue to get free caller display.

its not free in the sense that you have to commit to 12 months contract.

Also I had issues trying to get this added, BT seem to want to add the 12 months to m FTTC as well, and in addition they wont let me do the line rental saver on this extension either. So they giving me a choice of either paying the higher line rental with this free caller display or pay for line rental saver but paying for caller display, anyone else had the same? what normally happens to people in their 2nd year when they paid line rental in advance?

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 22:01:04
Print Post

Ah! An 18 month contract from September, I read it as only being tied to BT Retail until November 2014 smile

Yeah, I was just rambling about people with 18 month contracts in general. smile

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 22:02:06
Print Post

they wont let me do the line rental saver on this extension either

So you took LRS and now the pre-registration form says you aren't eligible for free caller display?

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 26-Oct-13 22:02:39)

Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 11:52:59
Print Post

Am I right in thinking that if you pre-register, then the 12 month contract starts from January?

I'm also thinking of moving from BT when my LRS runs out... my broadband is with a third-party however.

Would I need to cease the broadband, and then restart if I were to switch from BT to say the Post Office?

(Market 1 exchange - no LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-13 12:55:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:
Am I right in thinking that if you pre-register, then the 12 month contract starts from January?
Yes, Jan 4th is my interpretation, being when the chargeable BT Privacy with Caller ID launches, but the form is unclear and ambiguous. I am hoping that when the promised email (not as yet) comes it will be made clear.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 12:56:56
Print Post

I think free BT Privacy and Caller display will involve a new 12 months contract from when it launches on Dec 6th for those who pre-register and who are existing BT Privacy and Caller Display customers. Customers who have Caller Display as part of their Calling Features Pack are excluded from this pre-registration offer.

There will not be a broadband cease on your line if you migrate to another ISP and a MAC key is provided by your current ISP nor if you switch WLR line rental providers after giving the correct notice etc. smile

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 27-Oct-13 13:06:23)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 13:00:04
Print Post

Yes, Jan 4th is my interpretation, being when the chargeable BT Privacy with Caller ID launches, but the form is unclear and ambiguous. I am hoping that when the promised email (not as yet) comes it will be made clear.

I tend to “interpret” it as Dec 6th - but may certainly be wrong smile
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:09:08
Print Post

I tend to “interpret” it as Dec 6th - but may certainly be wrong smile

*Pre-register before 6th December 2013. Provision on or after 6th December 2013.

I suppose they could delay provision so the 12 months would start from when they provision it but I read it as 12 months from December 6th-ish.

As I'm tied to their phone line until late November 2014 for Infinity anyway, a few weeks either way is neither here nor there.

John.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:33:35
Print Post

They are probably hoping that you will contract again for BB and phone in Nov 14 with some other "lucrative" offer smile
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 17:35:42
Print Post

There will not be a broadband cease on your line if you migrate to another ISP and a MAC key is provided by your current ISP nor if you switch WLR line rental providers after giving the correct notice etc. smile

That's good to know - thanks! I want to keep the third-party as they have been very good, so just now need to wait for the LRS to run out.

Although I could pre-order, I'm just going to pay the £1.75/month for the caller display instead so I'm not tied in at the end of the LRS.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:16:19
Print Post

They are probably hoping that you will contract again for BB and phone in Nov 14 with some other "lucrative" offer smile

Yeah. I suppose there is a risk of the BB and phone chasing each other's tails. That's possibly why they have different lengths of contracts, to help keep them 'out of sync'.

John

Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:27:15
Print Post

I got the price increase email on Friday and following the links within, it advised that my Infinity 2 + calls package would be increasing in price from January 14. So according to the small print within the email (and BT's t&c's) this gives me the option to leave my 18 month Infinity contract (which I'm only 5 months into) penalty free.

I contacted BT via on-line chat who arranged a callback from customer options who confirmed I could leave penalty free, so I requested a MAC, which I have given to Plusnet. £12.99 for 9 months then £19.99 thereafter, beats £26 (£27.67 from January 14).

Just waiting for the final bill from BT...

be* -> May 2013 BT Infinity 2 IP Profile 77.44 Mbps D/L 75.38 Mbps U/L 16.61 Mbps
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:51:05
Print Post

[re: thar] [link to this post]

You should also get the "sorry you are leaving " letter regarding your line rental also from BT retail, since it appears that you are taking a Plusnet broadband and calls package?
Standard User thar
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 21:23:20
Print Post

I'll watch out for that.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Oct-13 21:55:42
Print Post

There's a lengthy discussion on that and other issues with the pre-registration offer in another thread. The simple answer is it's not clear.

I'm also thinking of moving from BT when my LRS runs out... my broadband is with a third-party however.
You're not the only one. My phone service is with BT Retail (two lines on one account), and I have Zen FTTC on one of those lines.

Were it not for the two lines, I'd unify phone and broadband with Zen. Unfortunately Zen don't have a line rental saver, and like all other providers I've encountered apart from BT Retail, call packages are charged for per line, not per account. The £5.40 per month discount on my Zen FTTC if I moved my phone service to Zen would help offset the extra costs, and these latest BT Retail price rises further reduce the price gap between Zen and BT Retail.

Ultimately, the right answer may well be to switch the second line to VoIP, or to take a call package on one line only and use the unlimited calls package on my contract mobile for the outgoing calls currently made on the second line. The mobile has the advantage of not needing to redial after an hour to avoid charges.

Fundamentally, I dislike BT Retail's strategies of making previously inclusive services chargeable, also of doing everything they can to get you to recommit for a further 12 month period without always making the fresh commitment and the new end date explicit before agreement is reached.

I realise providers want to prevent churn, and many comparisons are only done on headline line rental and call package figures. Nevertheless, I regard Caller Display as essential today for anyone who has a phone connected to their landline, considering the amount of junk calls you receive.

(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:15:36
Print Post

It's the 4th Jan,

Using the link in the email my BB+ unlimited calls is going up by £2/m (calls bit by only 33p and not to the full £7 as quoted)

Here's the T&C from the Email:
1. BT Answer 1571: Opt-in required. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed.
2. BT Privacy with Caller Display: Opt-in required. Includes registration by BT on the Telephone Preference Scheme (TPS) and Caller Display. Until 3 January 2014, a minimum call commitment applies. You must make two chargeable or inclusive calls a month (excludes calls made with Broadband Talk) or you will be charged £2.00 per month. From 4 January, this previously free service will cost £1.75 a month and the minimum call commitment will be removed. Caller Display equipment required. Allow 28 days for activation of the TPS service. Terms apply.
3. Line Rental Saver: You can pay for your monthly line rental either by Direct Debit for £15.45 (rising to £15.99 on 4 January 2014) a month (standard line rental) or by paying £141 by credit/debit card for 12 months in advance (Line Rental Saver) which is equivalent to £11.75 a month. You'll need to pay any additional call charges by Direct Debit. You'll receive e-billing. Connection charges may apply and there's a 12-month minimum term for new connections. Exclusions and conditions apply.
4. Unlimited Anytime Calls: £7 a month plus BT line rental when signing up to a 12-month minimum term. Landline calls to UK mobiles will be charged at 6 pence per minute and you'll pay a 15p set-up fee for every chargeable call you make. Terms apply.
5. BT SmartTalk: You'll need a BT home calling plan and an iPhone/Android smartphone connected to wi-fi or an internet connection. Use BT SmartTalk to access calls included as part of your calling plan, when using your smartphone. Five users per BT account. GMT time zone applies. International, Premium (09) and Personal (070) calls require an opt-in but are not included in this offer. Fair Use Policy applies. Excludes BT Basic. See bt.com/free60 for details. Terms apply. Offer ends 31 January 2014: 60 minutes of free calls per month throughout 2014 for BT SmartTalk customers. Each user (up to a maximum of 5) registered against your BT SmartTalk account will get the first 60 minutes of chargeable calls they make using the BT SmartTalk service free. Unused monthly allowance cannot be carried over to the following month or transferred between users on a single account. Value of free calls for each user will be shown on the account holder's bill and total value will be applied as a discount. BT reserves the right to end the offer at any time, including before the published end date.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:39:32
Print Post

That email only tells you when the chargeable BT Privacy with Caller Display starts, 4 Jan.

It does not tell you when the new 12-month line rental contract starts to which you are committing by pre-registering (which it never mentions) by its deadline of 6 Dec.

Hence the confusion. I believe they are one and the same since the quid pro quo should be that you give up your freedom to cancel at the same time as BT gives up its charges for BT Privacy with Caller Display.

(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:46:37
Print Post

The whole thing is confusing, because it appears if you sign up for LRS then you will not have to pay for BT Privacy & Caller Display, but it if your LRS is active after 40/01 it doesn't say whether you would have to pay until you renew.

I've given up and got my MAC code and going over to PN

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:01:04
Print Post

Also the email doesn't appear to state that by pre-registering for BT Privacy and Caller Display that a new 12 months contract will apply, or does it when it says "terms apply"?

Moving to PN certainly is the best thing to do smile

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 28-Oct-13 13:07:40)

(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:16:42
Print Post

It does in the top part of the email

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:53:11
Print Post

I must be suffering from BT word blindness LOL!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:54:43
Print Post

Where? Not in the bit you posted.

What is its wording? I might throw some light on the start date of the 1 year contract.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:02:03
Print Post

The whole thing is confusing, because it appears if you sign up for LRS then you will not have to pay for BT Privacy & Caller Display, but it if your LRS is active after 40/01 it doesn't say whether you would have to pay until you renew.

No-one has to pay for BT Privacy with Caller Display before 04 Jan, LRS or not.

After 04 Jan everyone pays, unless they have registered for the 12-month commitment offer.

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:20:33
Print Post

No-one has to pay for BT Privacy with Caller Display before 04 Jan, LRS or not.

After 04 Jan everyone pays, unless they have registered for the 12-month commitment offer.

Perhaps not quite everyone is committed to the 12 month contract to line rental if they register or apply for free BT Privacy and Caller Display: my aunt has BT Basic and it seems from a rather vague letter, that she received regarding the price changes, that BT Basic could be terminated without penalty after the price changes even if the free offer is accepted (she currently has free BT Privacy and Caller Display.)

This I haven't confirmed though because my aunt refused the free offer since it is possible that a termination of BT Basic with the free BT Privacy and Caller Display could involve the account transforming to standard line rental and if that happened then there could be early termination charges if she left BT Retail within the 12 month period (whenever that starts?)

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 28-Oct-13 15:24:05)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:24:51
Print Post

It's a question yeah. "a new 12-month line rental contract applies". When they say "new", do they mean a new contract (with new terms) will replace the old contract and old terms?

It's a far too ambiguous page and really should have been better worded given how much interest it will get in the next 5 weeks.

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:37:52
Print Post

It just seems like a means to attract folks to commit to a new 12 months contract with new T&C's since the "free" offer changes the T&C's of their account?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:41:17
Print Post

It just seems like a means to attract folks to commit to a new 12 months contract with new T&C's since the "free" offer changes the T&C's of their account?

It seems telcos like to say "contract" instead of "minimum term" these days.

It confuses the likes of me, since "contract" to me means a set of terms and conditions to which one commits, and does not solely represent the length of the minimum term.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:45:10
Print Post

From the pre-reg page:

*Pre-register before 6th December 2013. Provision on or after 6th December 2013. Pre-registration available only to existing BT Privacy with Caller Display customers – excludes customers with other varieties of Caller Display such as Caller Display as part of a Calling Features Pack. Provides BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months from date of provision. A new 12 month line rental contract applies.

The 12 months starts "from date of provision". And provision will be "on or after 6th December". So, whatever date they get around to provisioning will be the start date of the 12 months.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:50:49
Print Post

I was asking about the email in the vain hope it might clarify things. Already read the confusing pre-reg page which also talks about 12m from 'launch'.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:52:04
Print Post

I had the email but deleted it yesterday and it isn't in my trash. I think the email was far less clear than the signup page (the sign up page actually is pretty clear to me, from 6/12 they will start moving people on to the scheme and your 12 month contract start date will likely depend on where you are in that rollout plan).
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:52:31
Print Post

It seems telcos like to say "contract" instead of "minimum term" these days.

It confuses the likes of me, since "contract" to me means a set of terms and conditions to which one commits, and does not solely represent the length of the minimum term.

Yes indeed, an example would be somebody "out of contract" with BT Retail for line rental and if they wished to leave then effectively their "minimum term" would be 14 days since that is the notice required before one can switch to another provider in order to avoid termination charges and a possible cease.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 15:57:04
Print Post

Found the email (it was older than I thought) - not going to help much though:

We're changing our prices in January.
From 4 January 2014, we're putting some of our prices up. Line rental will go up by just 3.5 per cent – from £15.45 to £15.99 a month. We're also making changes to some of our call, broadband and Sky Sports prices. You'll find all the details here.

BT Answer 1571 and BT Privacy with Caller Display.
In January, BT Answer 1571 is changing. You'll be able to keep more messages for longer and check them remotely. From 4 January 2014 this service will be £1.75 a month.

If you have BT Privacy with Caller Display it will cost you £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014. But you can sign up and get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for a year (a new 12-month line rental contract applies).

Sign up for free BT Privacy with Caller Display and manage your calling features here.

We're keeping our mobile charges the same for the third year running.
We know people are calling mobiles more, so we're keeping the price of calling UK mobiles from your landline the same. That means you'll carry on getting the same mobile call rates as you do now.

How to keep your bills down.
• Save over 25% on your line rental by paying a year up front with Line Rental Saver.

• Save with Unlimited Anytime Calls. You get unlimited calls to UK* landlines and 0845/0870 numbers, and discounted pence-per-minute rates to UK mobiles for £7 a month.

To get any of these deals you'll need to keep paying your existing BT line rental.

Free calls from your mobile with BT SmartTalk.
From 4 January you can get 60 minutes of free mobile calls every month with the BT SmartTalk app. You will get these calls every month across 2014. You can save money on calls from your mobile to 0870, 0845, 0800 numbers, UK* landlines or mobiles. Sign up before 31 January 2014.

Find out more about the ways we can help you save.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 28-Oct-13 15:58:50)

(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:03:58
Print Post

It looks like they have changed it, I did read a couple of weeks ago somewhere on the BT site about it being free if you took out LRS, but it is not there now and it has been replaced with this pre-register item instead.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:13:57
Print Post

I only posted the T&Cs

The wording in the email for that is:

If you have BT Privacy with Caller Display it will cost you £1.75 a month2 from 4 January 2014. But you can sign up and get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for a year (a new 12-month line rental contract applies).

the 2 after mont his superscript and points to the respective T&C

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:21:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
The 12 months starts "from date of provision". And provision will be "on or after 6th December". So, whatever date they get around to provisioning will be the start date of the 12 months.

But if one already has it then surely it's already provisioned? Perhaps that means for those who have it now the new contract will start in December?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:32:08
Print Post

I think they are saying the old service is ceasing to exist so the new service will be provisioned (obiously we might think it is a continuation of the same thing but BT see it is something new for us lucky punters).
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:41:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I think they are saying the old service is ceasing to exist so the new service will be provisioned (obiously we might think it is a continuation of the same thing but BT see it is something new for us lucky punters).

OK smile

I just seem to remember that BT answer phone took 24 hours or so to be "provisioned" or "activated" (?) on my old free evening and weekend calls, contracted line rental deal almost two years ago...it took weeks to get rid of it though...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:55:17
Print Post

Interestingly, when you do pre-register it comes back with the confirmation page:
Thank you

We will send you confirmation when the product is added to your account which can be anytime up to 4th January 2014.
I don't remember it doing this when I pre-registered my 2 lines last week, but I've just done it for my daughter and it did this.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:06:34
Print Post

Interestingly, when you do pre-register it comes back with the confirmation page:
Thank you

We will send you confirmation when the product is added to your account which can be anytime up to 4th January 2014.
I don't remember it doing this when I pre-registered my 2 lines last week, but I've just done it for my daughter and it did this.

So the pre-registering was a committment to a new contract starting when? From the moment when the product is added to the account sometime before Jan 4?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:13:48
Print Post

Well, all we really know is that something is going to happen in this respect between 6 Dec & 4 Jan.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:24:05
Print Post

I guess Jan 4 would perhaps be the most likely date for the new 12 months contacts to start?

BT billing can be difficult to decipher so perhaps a new billing date of Jan 4 would perhaps make things a little less incomprehensible smile
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:42:34
Print Post

I guess Jan 4 would perhaps be the most likely date for the new 12 months contacts to start?

It would be, if BT hadn't written "Provision on or after 6th December 2013".

If different people get provisioned on different days it would be unfair, since some would get more free days than others (unless this deal is to be offered every year).

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 18:00:34
Print Post

If different people get provisioned on different days it would be unfair, since some would get more free days than others (unless this deal is to be offered every year).
As I said in the thread about Privacy with Caller Display:
BT really couldn't have made much more of a mess with this one - ambiguity because of the word "pre-register", apparently no promptly sent confirmations (which may breach the requirement to notify various things found in Distance Selling Regulations), ambiguity over the date of provision and no rational connection between the end-date of the pre-registration scheme and the start date of the new charges.
There's more detail on the various points summarised here in my contributions to that thread. It seems as if BT are now sending confirmations following online pre-registrations, but, according to XRaySpeX, they didn't do so when he pre-registered two lines a while back.

Edited by David_W (Mon 28-Oct-13 20:17:44)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 18:57:12
Print Post

It seems as if BT are now sending confirmations following online pre-registrations
Do you know this for a fact? The emails posted here today were notification of price rises, not in response to pre-registration as far as I can tell.

I pre-registered my daughter today and as yet no email has arrived, just that 'Thanks' page I mentioned earlier.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 28-Oct-13 19:05:12)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 20:09:14
Print Post

It seems as if BT are now sending confirmations following online pre-registrations
Do you know this for a fact? The emails posted here today were notification of price rises, not in response to pre-registration as far as I can tell.

I pre-registered my daughter today and as yet no email has arrived, just that 'Thanks' page I mentioned earlier.
I was trying to be a little bit charitable towards BT based on your earlier post, but realise now that I misread that post. Whilst the confirmation you mention is a start, it's not an e-mail. How hard can it be to send an e-mail with confirmation of the full terms and conditions?

Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 12:39:50
Print Post

My contract with BT has expired and now considering switching. I pay £5.15 for anytime calls. If I upgrade to unlimited fibre will that mean my anytime calls increase to £7.00? Is the new £7.00 charge for anytime calls automatically applied in Jan to existing customers? Or is it that if I keep my contract rolling will I always pay £5.15?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 12:50:31
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

I don't know the answers to your question but assume that your call package will be going up anyway as it seems they are putting everyone's up whether in contract or not.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 12:56:20
Print Post

There's no reference to Calling Plans in the price increases. You should continue to pay £5.15 pm unless BT explicitly puts it up.

I was on a 1 year Anytime contract @ £5.15 less a discount I negotiated. When it expired in Sept it reverted to £5.15 flat. I then negotiated another discounted 1 year deal grin.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:01:47
Print Post

Hadn't looked but the calling plan is already £7 and isn't changing so presumably any special rates are not being affected.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:17:26
Print Post

The way I see it is, if they provision it on 6th (or 7th) December, that's when the 12 months starts. I don't see how they can provision a requested calling feature one one date but don't start counting the 12 month contract until a month later.

John.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:30:41
Print Post

Presumably "provision" can only be a minimum term start date, since this offer is only open to existing customers of BTP&CD there is nothing to provision in the product-sense since the product is identical to what customers are already on.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:31:18
Print Post

if they provision it on 6th (or 7th) December, that's when the 12 months starts.
Even tho' it is still normally free until 4 Jan? Why should you pay, with a tie-in contract, for something that is still free for nearly a month?

You end up buying just over 11 months free Caller Display in exchange for a 12 months contract.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:34:05
Print Post

Why should you pay, with a tie-in contract, for something that is still free for nearly a month?

Because BT say so, I guess.

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:34:49
Print Post

If you've got it now and don't pre-register to have it for free (which means committing to a new 12 months contract) nor cancel it then it will be billed from January.

When the new contract starts, if one commits by pre-registering, that still seems to be the unanswered mystery...
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:36:11
Print Post

Presumably "provision" can only be a minimum term start date, since this offer is only open to existing customers of BTP&CD there is nothing to provision in the product-sense since the product is identical to what customers are already on.

That's exactly what I thought smile
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:42:21
Print Post

What we don't no is what happens at the end of the 12 months. If it is "you get it free for the foreseeable future if you contract to a further 12 months" then that is different to "you get it free for 12 months if you contract for 12 months". It could be that at the end of the contract they will continue to supply it - I know it is unlikely and doesn't fit BTs way of working but it is possible.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:56:52
Print Post

they wont let me do the line rental saver on this extension either

So you took LRS and now the pre-registration form says you aren't eligible for free caller display?

it said neither, so I rang up to confirm what would happen if I registered.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:58:03
Print Post

It's quite likely. BT are probably making BTP&CD an ongoing retention tool which is pretty cheap for them at £1.75 a month whilst valuable enough to make a lot of people commit for 12 months.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Tue 29-Oct-13 13:58:22)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:00:45
Print Post

I know someone on LRS who successfully pre-registered for BTP&CD, so it seems the two offers aren't mutually exclusive, unless an email comes in December saying "sorry you aren't eligible".

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:08:14
Print Post

The LRS wont be syncronised to the new 12 months contract though, presumably when the period covered by the LRS has expired then full line rental will be charged?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:09:47
Print Post

At which point you take out another contract. It is the problem with BT bundles - I have different end dates for broadband, LRS and BT privacy. One way they have of keeping people with them.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:11:28
Print Post

It's quite likely. BT are probably making BTP&CD an ongoing retention tool which is pretty cheap for them at £1.75 a month whilst valuable enough to make a lot of people commit for 12 months.

which we can see from the droves here leaving for plusnet is working well?

This is the first time I have been confused by billing.

No answer as to what happens when LRS expires.
BT telling me I cannot have LRS and 0 charged caller display at same time.

LRS alone is enough as a rentention tool in my opinion for the line rental, since thats a 12month up front payment.

Now I am sitting here thinking of 2 options I wasnt even considering before, they are.

1 - Leave BT completely (As others have done), I wasnt even considering this before, only the FTTC I was considering not line rental.
2 - Cancel Bt Privacy altogether. BT were occasionally making some £2 charges of me as I didnt always do the calls required. If i cancel they make none of me. My issue is tho although I get very few incoming calls on my line if its an important call I miss the caller display can be important for determining I missed an important call, but 90% of inbound calls say 'international'.

I will probably give BT retentions a shot, tell them I am leaving unless I get inclusive BT privacy with my LRS.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:12:36
Print Post

I know someone on LRS who successfully pre-registered for BTP&CD, so it seems the two offers aren't mutually exclusive, unless an email comes in December saying "sorry you aren't eligible".

yes but does his/her LRS expire at the same?

My LRS expires in Dec this year.

They didnt say my LRS would turn off, they just said I couldnt renew it.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:19:49
Print Post

If you have no joy with retentions then I would cancel BT Privacy and Caller Display very soon because it could take some time to be "unprovisioned" - that's if you stay with BT Retail for line rental of course (it took ages to get rid of BT answer phone on my line some time ago.)
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:22:15
Print Post

if they provision it on 6th (or 7th) December, that's when the 12 months starts.
Even tho' it is still normally free until 4 Jan? Why should you pay, with a tie-in contract, for something that is still free for nearly a month?

You end up buying just over 11 months free Caller Display in exchange for a 12 months contract.

Not sure I follow how you 'buy' something that is free smile

Having a new 12 month contract starting (and therefore ending) a month earlier than it apparently needs to could work to your advantage when it's "interleaved" with an 18 month broadband contract that you're trying to run down before migrating but which is tied to the phone line contract.

If both started from the same starting point, BT effectively commit you to 2 broadband contracts and 3 phoneline contracts before they both expire at the same time.

John

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:26:47
Print Post

They didnt say my LRS would turn off, they just said I couldnt renew it.

Free BTP&CD will prevent LRS from being ordered in future? That's going to annoy a few people, if they weren't annoyed already.

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:27:46
Print Post

This re-contracting of line rental can certainly make it a hassle if one wishes to take a BB and line rental package with another provider.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:29:59
Print Post

Having a new 12 month contract starting (and therefore ending) a month earlier than it apparently needs to could work to your advantage when it's "interleaved" with an 18 month broadband contract that you're trying to run down before migrating but which is tied to the phone line contract.

I did put out the question as to what happens if someone takes this deal with 17 months left on their minimum term. I very much doubt it would shorten the MT to 12 months though.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:31:02
Print Post

This re-contracting of line rental can certainly make it a hassle if one wishes to take a BB and line rental package with another provider.

Which of course is BT's aim.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:39:03
Print Post

I just mean you are paying something (a consideration) in the form of a 12m commitment not to be able to leave w/out penalty in order to obtain a £1.75pm discount against the new price of BTP+CD making it effectively free.

Rest doesn't apply to me as I don't have BT BB.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 15:58:47
Print Post

I just mean you are paying something (a consideration) in the form of a 12m commitment not to be able to leave w/out penalty in order to obtain a £1.75pm discount against the new price of BTP+CD making it effectively free.
As you rightly say, there is consideration on both sides, which is one requirement for a binding contract not executed as a deed.

Consideration doesn't have to be financial - just a promise for a promise or an act for a promise. In this case, the customer promises to stay with BT Retail's line rental for a 12 month period, and BT Retail promises to provide free BTP+CD for that period. Exactly how BTP+CD lands up being free is immaterial - it does not have to be billed and discounted.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:09:09
Print Post

It seems BT Retail might make up the terms and conditions of Line Rental Saver as they go. When I took out Line Rental Saver at the end of last year, I was told I could only take it on one of the two lines on my account, and could not take it on the other.

The "one line only" restriction is at least made explicit in the BT Price List Section 55.6.1, but that section contains the incredibly vague statement: "Line Rental Saver is not available to customers taking certain special offers or deals."

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:23:02
Print Post

When I renewed my LRS/BB/anytime calls package with BT in July I couldn't budge the salesdroid demanding £7 for the calls, and renewed anyway. I've been pleased with BT over the past few years and have said so on this site, but I'm confused enough without this deliberate obfuscation. I'm not going to register for 'free' caller display in Jan, and I won't be renewing my package when it's due next year. BT is no longer competitive and I don't trust 'em.
(committed) Wed 30-Oct-13 09:10:20
Print Post

If you have had your email, use the link near the top, mine was also £5.15 and went up to £5.48

Forgot to add, when you get to the price increase page look down until you get to Broadband, and click on that link, then fill in your details, to find out.

Bob WRBRIX

Edited by The_Voyager (Wed 30-Oct-13 09:18:56)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 13:43:21
Print Post

Well spotted! I never noticed that; it's well hidden deeply frown

Yes, Old £5.15 Anytime Plan goes up to £5.48.

(committed) Wed 30-Oct-13 13:50:20
Print Post

It's a bit naughty considering at the top of the first page it says £7 and no increase, so I would advise anyone who has a reduced price Anytime contract to check because it will go up

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 13:55:54
Print Post

That's a 6.4% increase!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 14:01:55
Print Post

If you look closely practically everything is going up by 6.4%, except standard line rental which goes up 3.5%.

EDIT: Also except 1571 and BT Privacy with Caller Display which increase infinitely grin.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 30-Oct-13 14:06:29)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 14:10:51
Print Post

"From 4th January 2014, BT Basic line rental will increase by 15p a month to £5.10 a month (£15.30 a quarter including a £4.50 call allowance), calls outside the call allowance to local and national UK numbers will go up 0.3p per minute to 11.3p and the call set up fee will increase from 3.2p to 3.3p" - call allowance hasn't increased though frown

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 30-Oct-13 14:15:07)

(committed) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:31:59
Print Post

Not now it isn't, I used my MAC code and going over to PN, their Anytime is only £5/m smile

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:57:02
Print Post

Not now it isn't, I used my MAC code and going over to PN, their Anytime is only £5/m smile

Zen Home Talk Plus £17.35 per month 5,000 inclusive anytime minutes to 01, 02, 03, 0845 & 0870 numbers + caller display at £0.90 per month on a one month minimum term might also be OK (if you wanted to talk for 5,000 minutes smile )?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 17:39:54
Print Post

"From 4th January 2014, BT Basic line rental will increase by 15p a month to £5.10 a month (£15.30 a quarter including a £4.50 call allowance), calls outside the call allowance to local and national UK numbers will go up 0.3p per minute to 11.3p and the call set up fee will increase from 3.2p to 3.3p" - call allowance hasn't increased though frown

No, but then again those people pay in a quarter what most people pay in a month.

Oliver.
(committed) Wed 30-Oct-13 17:57:42
Print Post

Unfortunately their £25/m Unilimited Fibre makes it about £9/m more than the deal with PN (£2 more after 1st 9 months), I doubt I use more than 50 minutes a month, never mind 5,000 smile

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Oct-13 18:23:22
Print Post

No, but then again those people pay in a quarter what most people pay in a month.

IMO. if BT valued and truly cared for it's Basic customers then the call allowance should have increased proportionately also. I realise that we are only talking about small sums of money but it's the principle of the thing that counts.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 14:46:05
Print Post

just got off from a conversation from someone high up.

They made it clear, they would rather I left to a new provider instead of me keeping existing terms without a new contract. It seems BT value long contracts so much they would rather I left than stay outside of a new 12 month commitment, LOL bonkers.

They did agree to keeping LRS alongside this deal, but they wouldnt let me pay LRS for another 12 months and not have the 12 month commitment, or not pay the LRS and keep going as I am.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-13 15:12:59
Print Post

they wouldnt let me pay LRS for another 12 months and not have the 12 month commitment

LRS has always had a 12 month commitment since it's non-refundable, or am I misunderstanding you?

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Nov-13 15:52:01
Print Post

they wouldnt let me pay LRS for another 12 months and not have the 12 month commitment

LRS has always had a 12 month commitment since it's non-refundable, or am I misunderstanding you?

Presumably LRS would be non-refundable (a 12 month commitment?) but line rental would be on a 14 day notice period if a new 12 months contract was not agreed and thus early termination charges would not apply?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 19:44:39
Print Post

I am not sure, as they are very confusing.

Basically I first asked about renewing LRS and they said no problem and that I would be refunded in full for unused time if I left (which indicates no commitment).

I asked what happens to a LRS line if not renewed, they said it auto switches to full line rental. The renewal is manual process the customer initiates.

They said someone normally going to the free privacy offer is required to commit for 12 months and becomes not eligible for a new LRS deal. Apparently the one offered to me was via goodwill.

I still have not come into agreement with BT tho as they refuse to give me LRS + existing pricing for BT privacy without me extending my infinity contract. They are insisting its a unified contract so I cant just commit to the line alone. I find this unacceptable so its looking like me and BT will split up.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:22:20
Print Post

I am not sure, as they are very confusing.

Seems to be, yeah!

As I said before, if it turns out 6 months down the line that people cannot renew their LRS because they opted in to BTP+CD thee will be a lot of unhappy people. I would have imagined this fact would have had to be made very clear on the website, unless they consider "A new 12 month line rental contract applies" to be sufficient (i.e. LRS cannot be renewed until the "new contract" expires).

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:33:44
Print Post

They said someone normally going to the free privacy offer is required to commit for 12 months and becomes not eligible for a new LRS deal. Apparently the one offered to me was via goodwill.
This is extremely ugly if what you are being told is true.

I've already commented on the vague terms and conditions when pre-registering for free BTP+CD, also that the Price List terms and conditions for Line Rental Saver permit excluding customers taking "certain special offers or deals". This appears to allow BT Retail to exclude those who have taken free BTP+CD from taking or renewing Line Rental Saver. Worse still, BT Retail need not make any sort of public statement about this exclusion from LRS.

In other words, those who have taken the discount of free BTP+CD commit themselves to a new 12 month minimum contract period and may have unknowingly excluded themselves from the larger LRS discount for that period.

Such a situation seems difficult to attack under contract law. BT seem to be attempting to place any Line Rental Saver exclusion outside the contractual terms of someone who has taken free BTP+CD, which does not appear to allow escape from the new minimum contract period that is part of free BTP+CD via a route such as the fairness test in The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2083). I can see ways that such an exclusion might contravene The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (SI 2008/1277), but those regulations give no right of remedy to an individual consumer at present (and a draft amendment will only give a right to unwind the contract during the first 90 days).

If this is the level BT Retail have stooped to, I am even more determined to look for alternatives once my current Line Rental Saver is up. This is beginning to sound like a huge scandal in the making.

MrSaffron / Seb - can you get a clear statement out of BT Retail about the interplay between free BTP+CD and other BT Retail products?

Edited by David_W (Fri 01-Nov-13 21:47:24)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-13 22:37:03
Print Post

that the Price List terms and conditions for Line Rental Saver permit excluding customers taking "certain special offers or deals". This appears to allow BT Retail to exclude those who have taken free BTP+CD from taking or renewing Line Rental Saver.
Would you not expect those "certain (but not others) special offers that prohibit LRS, to explicitly state that they do not allow LRS to be taken if the special offer is taken up?

Moreover, that Price List is already out of date. Have a look at BT Privacy at Home in Sect 1 Part 31 http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/341... . No mention of the new charges and conditions. I expect that to appear later in Notices 2014.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Nov-13 02:09:40
Print Post

that the Price List terms and conditions for Line Rental Saver permit excluding customers taking "certain special offers or deals". This appears to allow BT Retail to exclude those who have taken free BTP+CD from taking or renewing Line Rental Saver.
Would you not expect those "certain (but not others) special offers that prohibit LRS, to explicitly state that they do not allow LRS to be taken if the special offer is taken up?
Just because the implication is there is a closed and definite list of special offers or deals which are incompatible with LRS does not require BT to publish that list. BT must publish certain information for contractual or regulatory reasons, but they have no obligation to publish any other information. You could argue it is in BT Retail's interests to make it as hard as possible to discover which offers and deals prevent you from taking Line Rental Saver.

Moreover, that Price List is already out of date. Have a look at BT Privacy at Home in Sect 1 Part 31 http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/341... . No mention of the new charges and conditions. I expect that to appear later in Notices 2014.
The BT Price List lays out the terms available from BT Retail today - not the position at some point in the future. At the appropriate time, I would expect the Privacy at Home section itself to be updated.

The Notices are mainly about limited derogations from terms elsewhere in the Price List. A Notice is most often published when BT ceases to rely on a contractual term for regulatory reasons, though sometimes a Notice gives details of a limited special offer.

Exactly how BT will handle the Price List aspects of the Privacy at Home changes is unclear. Most likely, they will just amend the Privacy at Home section, effective from 6 January 2014, though we may see something published earlier relating to the pre-registrants. Upcoming changes typically appear in the Price List notifications a few days before their implementation, unless contractual or regulatory reasons require earlier notification. The last change in the Privacy at Home section was notified four days before implementation.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Nov-13 03:06:30
Print Post

Not suggesting BT publish LIST of LRS busting offers but with each such offer individually to state that LRS wont be permitted, within its TandCs.

Often used Notices to back up a Special Offer like 1GBP pm off line rental or 3m free Call Plan.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to