User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:16:40
Print Post

Re: 897 million reasons for a BT price rise

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Are proof that BT cover half the screen with adverts when running one of their free event weekends/nights?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:20:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

The announcement gives me renewed impetus to look for an alternative to BT Retail when my Line Rental Saver is up.

BT Sport is often viewed and even marketed as a free additional extra, but BT Retail would not be spending these sort of sums without expecting commercial gain. They must intend to use BT Sport to raise average revenue per user, decrease churn by locking customers into additional minimum contract periods and win customers from their competitors.

Not only am I not interested in BT Sport, I have it anyway as part of my Virgin Media TV package.

For all that I dislike Sky, at least they keep their sports channels as a premium offering, allowing customers to pay for them or ignore them.

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:28:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by GMAN98:
Like Sky did to its TV customers to finance their broadband arm you mean?

Since pay TV is a luxury item relative to telephone and broadband, I don't consider that analogous.

Sorry to hear that ,I do consider it analogous

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:29:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Something similar here but we'll have to wait until the next FTA match in 2015.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:30:46
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

For some reason, you're obsessing over Sky which is not the issue.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:35:13
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
They must intend to use BT Sport to raise average revenue per user, decrease churn by locking customers into additional minimum contract periods and win customers from their competitors.

Gasp

Of course that is what they are doing, its what most people in business do, offer extras to keep the customers with you and take from other competitors, its nothing new. Its only a surprise to you now probably because its taken so long.

For BT to survive its not enough to just offer phone and broadband because its rivals (Sky & Virgin) offer TV also, they started slowly with Vision (bit pants) and now its growing and they are doing what they can to grow this new venture for them.

Its all perfectly normal and no surprise at all. Tesco start doing on-line food shopping for home delivery as an added extra, ASDA do the same , so do Sainsburys... its happens in all business, nothing new or shocking to see here
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:39:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
For some reason, you're obsessing over Sky which is not the issue.

I'm not obsessing I'm comparing.

Sky had TV price rises year on year to pay for its broadband venture.

BT (if this is what they are doing, its only people speculating of course) are 'possibly' taking revenue from their telephone/broadband arms to pay for their TV venture.

Just the same.

You are also saying this isn't the issue, is there an issue? BT won an auction that had others fairly competing, not sure there is any issue at all other than you don't like the result, in that case that is your own issue wink
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:40:03
Print Post

What is shocking is the amount of outlay ordinary freeview customers will have to make to continue to watch previously free football on TV. We are talking hundreds if not thousands of pounds a year.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:42:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by GMAN98:
Sky had TV price rises year on year to pay for its broadband venture.

But at least people could cancel their pay TV and still watch free TV.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 09-Nov-13 13:44:49)

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:59:03
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The reason you can't watch it free via ITV is ITV's fault no-one else's
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to