User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 13:39:02
Print Post

Re: 897 million reasons for a BT price rise

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It cannot be worse than the US sports, where they have been shooting with 4:3 cameras in SD it seems but doing a HD broadcast and using sidebars for stats etc i.e. more like web based player than full screen TV

I was last in the US in Nov last year, and I didn't see any of this. In fact the sports coverage was the best HD I saw whilst there. (I have family in the US, so I wasn't in a hotel).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 10-Nov-13 13:55:32
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

I do not see a problem with line rental as, it is a maintenance charge for an infrastructure,

Yes, and a quality supplier like Zen, can sell on that same B.T. line rental to the likes of me for £11:22 a month - No contract tie-in - No years up front to obtain that price and still make a profit.
In light of that, I regard nearly £16 a month and long contracts, nothing but a cash-cow that allows loss-making prices for a few. - Sky revisited.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Sun 10-Nov-13 13:56:07)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:01:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It cannot be worse than the US sports, where they have been shooting with 4:3 cameras in SD it seems but doing a HD broadcast and using sidebars for stats etc i.e. more like web based player than full screen TV

I was last in the US in Nov last year, and I didn't see any of this. In fact the sports coverage was the best HD I saw whilst there. (I have family in the US, so I wasn't in a hotel).

720 x 480 29.97fps interlaced (59.94i) will need a lot less bandwidth than full HD 1920 x 1080 29.97fps progressive (29.97p or even 59.94p) so that's why they possibly use it for some sports NTSC broadcasts...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:09:33
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I do not see a problem with line rental as, it is a maintenance charge for an infrastructure,

Yes, and a quality supplier like Zen, can sell on that same B.T. line rental to the likes of me for £11:22 a month - No contract tie-in - No years up front to obtain that price and still make a profit.
In light of that, I regard nearly £16 a month and long contracts, nothing but a cash-cow that allows loss-making prices for a few. - Sky revisited.

Low call rates, no call connection fees and no minimum call charges also with Zen line rental smile
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:31:10
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by David_W:
My preference is for a menu pricing approach, with each element on its own separate contractual terms.

You mean like Sky do now with Now TV,. You get a choice of Sports Films or Entertainment and you can just choose what you want? That's the best Idea i've seen in ages. Pay for what you want not what you don't

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 10-Nov-13 14:35:16)

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:35:32
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by professor973:

The Home Talk Plus package, around the price of B.T line rental includes 5,000 minutes. About 0.1p per minute. Unbeatable rate outside free and same resold B.T. and making a porifit.
Low call rates, no call connection fees and no minimum call charges also with Zen line rental smile

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:40:44
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
They do control the satellite broadcasting platform though and have not been averse to using that position of power to control what other broadcasters can do on there.

True, but if one is unhappy what a company is doing, I still think it's much harder to cut ties with BT than it is with Sky. Freesat is a more viable alternative to Sky than 3G/4G is to ADSL(2+) in my opinion (I'm not mentioning Virgin Media since I can't get it here).

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 10-Nov-13 14:42:01)

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Sun 10-Nov-13 14:58:47
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Sky do not control UK telecom infrastructure
They do control the satellite broadcasting platform though and have not been averse to using that position of power to control what other broadcasters can do on there.

I do not believe that to be accurate. Sky, as with other broadcasters, rent bandwidth from Astra. Sky only control their EPG.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 15:41:30
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
I do not believe that to be accurate. Sky, as with other broadcasters, rent bandwidth from Astra. Sky only control their EPG.

I've never looked in to it but yes you are correct, the satellite platform which Sky and Freesat use is owned by SES and not Sky. An altogether more healthy arrangement than the POTS landline relationship between BT and the other providers in the UK.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:39:50
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I've never looked in to it but yes you are correct, the satellite platform which Sky and Freesat use is owned by SES and not Sky. An altogether more healthy arrangement than the POTS landline relationship between BT and the other providers in the UK.

The advantage of the Sky "one epg" approach is that subscribers can buy a supported box with a known user interface - whereas with other EU countries - you end up buying a generic satellite receiver with perhaps 10 card slots for each subscription, and no unified EPG.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to