User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 20:36:03
Print Post

Re: 897 million reasons for a BT price rise

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
I do not see a problem with line rental as, it is a maintenance charge for an infrastructure,

Yes, and a quality supplier like Zen, can sell on that same B.T. line rental to the likes of me for £11:22 a month - No contract tie-in - No years up front to obtain that price and still make a profit.
In light of that, I regard nearly £16 a month and long contracts, nothing but a cash-cow that allows loss-making prices for a few. - Sky revisited.

Just did a like for like price comparison with Zen... think I will stay with BT for now, been with all the niche ISPs in my time and fact is there aint much in it except price. However I certainly do not want to be paying Sky type prices for my TV and Broadband so we shall see how it looks in a years time.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 21:32:34
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
However I certainly do not want to be paying Sky type prices for my TV and Broadband so we shall see how it looks in a years time.

I'm with Sky (line rental and ADSL2+ broadband, no TV) and since my Sky line rental is going up I thought I'd compare my price with BT over 18 months. Turns out BT would cost me £217.62 more over 18 months than Sky will. Even if I factor in the 6 months free for joining, BT doesn't even get close to matching Sky's price.

BT

Line rental: 15.99
Broadband: 16
Anytime calls: 7
Caller display: 1.75
Voicemail: 1.75

1 month: 42.49
18 months: 764.82

Sky

Line rental: 15.4
Broadband: 10
Anytime calls: 5
Caller display: 0
Voicemail: 0

1 month: 30.4
18 months: 547.2

Oliver.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Sun 10-Nov-13 22:25:42
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Are you including line rental saver?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Nov-13 23:00:10
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Low call rates, no call connection fees and no minimum call charges also with Zen line rental smile
Interesting.

I am considering a switch to Zen for my line rental, as I have even less need of it that I did before my wife's death. I also recommended it a few weeks ago to a local clothing repairer who is getting strangely increasing bills from his WLR supplier.

I have no need whatsoever for outgoing landline calls. Only incoming.

Before long, Zen will be the line rental company of choice. I hope it isn't a loss leader!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Nov-13 00:15:53
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Are you including line rental saver?

Neither line rental price includes line rental saver because I prefer to pay monthly. However Sky's line rental saver is cheaper than BT's variant.

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 11-Nov-13 00:23:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

my concern is if one swiches line rental with active broadband service does it have the potential to disrupt the broadband, eg. causing a cease. assuming the broadband isnt been migrated along with the line rental.

It really shows how bad this decision is from BT as both me and you I believe were not even thinking of leaving BT line rental now we both are.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 00:28:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Like you I don't make many outgoing calls and hence, with Zen, my monthly bills are really low - although I do have "Call Identity" as an optional feature for 90p per month.

However I haven't needed to contact Zen about any account or line problems yet so I can not comment on the quality of their support...on a one month minimum term, if there are any issues, it would be easy to leave though smile
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Mon 11-Nov-13 01:23:54
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

You forgot per second billing with Zen. Just like going back in time. Could it be they don't have to break the backs of phone customers to subsudise other services.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Mon 11-Nov-13 01:26:27)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 01:43:52
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
You forgot per second billing with Zen. Just like going back in time. Could it be they don't have to break the backs of phone customers to subsudise other services.

Didn't forget: now with Zen I see fractions of a penny rather than BT's fractions of a pound for calls smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Nov-13 05:23:52
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
my concern is if one swiches line rental with active broadband service does it have the potential to disrupt the broadband, eg. causing a cease. assuming the broadband isnt been migrated along with the line rental.
WLR line rental switching is almost always trouble-free. I don't think either of us need worry about that. All that matters is that the new CP allows a different broadband supplier on the line. Which Zen does.

It is of course impossible to rule out a cockup on any change of any kind.

I just feel I'm being taken for a ride by BT Retail. I don't like being treated like a sucker by my trusted supplier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to