User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:22:30
Print Post

Re: Who is responsible?

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

the question is for her, does she notice the difference. If not then you could leave alone and do nothing. If yes then call the broadband company you use and ask them to fix the fault. As the problem is seen on the test socket, then there should be no charge. Just make sure it is tested on the test socket while the engineer is there (e.g. leave it connected to the test socket so there is no change the engineer can say its internal wiring.

IanD
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:24:03
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

?
Thanks for the recommendation, but she hasn't got a high noise margin. It's the attenuation hat has rocketed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:24:35
Print Post

Have you tried a factory reset of the router?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 19:59:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, i reset the router I would try another router but she only has the Home Hub, I suppose it may be faulty but i doubt it.

And yes she is with BT for her phone line and BB.

She does not have a phone connected to the line at all its just used for Internet access.

And yes she has noticed a change. She uses Netflix on her TV as well as Sky on-demand and it buffers all the time now.. if it even loads.

An engineer is coming out again in a few days i think to have a look.

There is not much I can do to help her in the way of testing stuff now as I was only there for Christmas and I live in North Wales and she lives in Peterborough.

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 28-Dec-13 21:45:04
Print Post

Evening Sean

You should first try the Quiet Line Test on your own phone a few times, to get experience of doing so.

There are NO costs for doing this!

There is a slight chance that the facility is not available on your phone or your mother's phone.

OPENREACH BT has only a legal obligation to maintain the line to simple telephone quality, NOT to Broadband requirements, hence having to test it by preferably a corded/old phone handset.

Plug that phone with an ADSL Splitter in to the BT Master Socket, usually hidden in a cupboard etc.

Dial 17070, wait for the Response.

Several Test Options will be offered.

Normally it is Option 2 (Dial 2); but with SKY, it is Option 4 (Dial 4).

The Line should either be silent or a very low hum.

If it is noisy, "Snap, Crackle and Pop", engineering tones similar to dial tones etc, then it should be reported to the Telephone Provider, ie the company that you/your mother pay the LINE RENTAL to.

And specifically NOT to OPENREACH BT.

The Line Provider may or may NOT be another part of BT; or may part of the Broadband package, so possibly SKY, EE, PlusNet etc.

Report it as a PHONE Problem, avoid mentioning Broadband; and in your mother's case, do NOT mention that she normally does not use it for conventional phone purposes.

========================

If you do NOT hear any noises etc at the Master Socket, then reconnect your internal wiring; and try the QL Test from each of the internal sockets, also trying with each Broadband item connected and disconnected.

Also switch ON and OFF other potential sources such as Plasma TV sets, microwave cookers, Christmas Lights etc.

If you hear any untoward noises during this stage, then it is your/your mother's responsibility to arrange remedial action, either by yourself or a knowledgible friend etc.

Specificallly it is NOT OPENREACH's responsibility.

==============================

I acknowledge the difficulties with your mother being in Peterborough and yourself in North Wales; as I frequently have to deal remotely with technical problems from up here in the Kingdom of Fife, to down in Devon, Glamorgan and around Scotland.

BUT unless you have suitable contacts in Peterborough, there is no other free or cheap way of getting the situation sorted out.

And whatever you do arrange/arrive at, first practise on your own line, so that you have a clearer idea of what needs to be done in Peterborough.

If it is Line problems, not only are they affecting the present BB service; but they will continue to affect in varying degrees any future apparent "improvement" such as if you try different modem/routers; or moving to FTTC/VDSL;

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 29-Dec-13 07:49:56)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 28-Dec-13 23:09:10
Print Post

Openreach are responsible upto and including the nte5 socket.

The problem is they are doing their best to relieve themselves of that responsibility, threatening charges is one such effective method which stops people/cp's from raising faults.

when a fault does get raised they have a habit of checking for local issues first and if any are found regardless if a issue exists openreach side the fault is likely to get closed of as a CPE side and fee raised. also if hey dont find a fault their policy allows them to raise a fee with the CP (who are likely to pass onto end user), although its my opinion a judge would laugh at such a fee been taken to court on the basis of a software based test alone.

On another forum a openreach engineer posted if his jdsu tests pass he has been trained to treat any line issues as 'not' openreach remit, when I asked him whos remit it is he went silent.

you done the right thing, escalate it, and you will likely get a call out without threat of fee's. with non BT retail providers tho the threat will always be there, although aaisp go to great lengths to avoid fees for the end user, other cp's arent so persistent.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 28-Dec-13 23:10:50)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Dec-13 16:05:45
Print Post

Report it to her broadband service provider, LTB, lower threshold breach.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Dec-13 17:31:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

For the 2nd time.. as no one seems to be paying attention..

My mum IS with BT.. thats why I'm posting in the BT section!

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sun 29-Dec-13 18:05:36
Print Post

Initially, it does not matter who is is her Phone Provider; nor who is her Broadband Provider, whether two separate companies or one and the same company.

Additionally, it is only those companies that can exert contractual pressure on OPENREACH.

OPENREACH is positioned similarly to NETWORK RAIL - if your train is late, you deal with the company providing that train, eg FIRST GREAT WESTERN, SCOTRAIL etc.

By doing the Quiet Line Test - at no cost to yourself, nor to your mother at that stage, you will have extracted information about the condition of your respective phone lines, thus can approach her Phone provider with some basic facts, along the lines of "Forewarned is Forearmed"; or "Knowledge is Power".

Also another analogy, if your local road has pot-holes etc, you might get a better ride from a softer-sprung car; but basically, the pot-holes need repairing.

So do the Quiet Line Tests first, ie identify if there any pot-hole equivalents in your mother's phone line.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Dec-13 09:40:40
Print Post

It is possible that it is the router or the ADSL filter. If you don't try replacing both of these in the test socket then there is still a risk that a charge could be placed if one of these turns out to be faulty. If you live close enough are you able to temporarily plug your router into it? Even if you don't change the settings it should do the line connect to give the stats without the correct login details.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to