User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Dec-13 18:25:16
Print Post

Re: Who is responsible?

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Can't see how it would be fair for them to charge you for the effects of "corrosion or damp".

So they've fitted a line, done all the required, a drip loop, mastic in the hole, not siting line plant in clearly damp areas .. and then the owner allows damp ingress in to the property, or just spills a drink on it, or lets their pets pee on (Oh yes) Why should this be repaired free of charge ?

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Dec-13 01:51:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
So they've fitted a line, done all the required, a drip loop, mastic in the hole, not siting line plant in clearly damp areas .. and then the owner allows damp ingress in to the property, or just spills a drink on it, or lets their pets pee on (Oh yes) Why should this be repaired free of charge ?

The way I took the wording "within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp" was that they were quoting external events in as much that trees don't usually grow indoors. I accept that the phrase could refer to internal events though I think it would be unreasonable for them to charge for the repair of a cable external to the property walls due to damp, since it sometimes rains in this country.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Dec-13 08:19:53
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

How long before BT do the same as the water companies and start terminating at the property boundary and anything inside the property boundary is down to the home owner?

That is almost what is happening here except that the only people you can get to fix the line from the boundary to the NTE are BT as they consider it their property. And if it's their property and the failure is not directly caused by the homeowner then BT should pay to fix it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Thu 02-Jan-14 19:27:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

How long before BT do the same as the water companies and start terminating at the property boundary and anything inside the property boundary is down to the home owner?

As soon as Openreach put the master socket on the boundary, as water companies do the meter!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 19:30:07
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FelixTCat:
As soon as Openreach put the master socket on the boundary, as water companies do the meter!

They almost started by having an external NTE mounted on the outside of the building. Not sure that has got very far.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 02-Jan-14 19:38:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

They almost started by having an external NTE mounted on the outside of the building. Not sure that has got very far.

That was partly due to people complaining that they had to take a day off work if there was a problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 20:53:14
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

Just had water meter fitted.....

UNDER SINK, where pipe comes into house, for free. If I wanted it fitted outside at boundary. It would have been £120.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 23:31:04
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
UNDER SINK, where pipe comes into house, for free. If I wanted it fitted outside at boundary. It would have been £120.

Sounds unusual. Typically all the water pipes on the customer's property is their responsibility, including repairs and leaks. The water meter usually sits just outside the property boundary, forming the demarcation point.

I guess it works in your favour though, since if your supply pipe leaks on your property it will not register on your meter.

Oliver.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jan-14 17:23:15
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I need to know when and where the BT charge of £129.99 applies.

BT want an engineer to visit. but want to avoid the charge.

Is the charge applied just for the engineer to visit? Is it applied if he finds a fault in the house or applied if he fixes the fault?

If the engineer finds something and its chargeable to fix I want him to stop.

Might just need a new faceplate/nte box witch is up to BT to maintain.

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24272 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 0.3 dB 11.8 dB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jan-14 17:28:40
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Except within a warranty period, the faceplate is not up to Openreach to maintain.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to