User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 13:22:41
Print Post

Re: Who is responsible?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Light fitting - yes, and have done. Light switch - no, and never would. The light fitting if the switch is working will not have live current. The light switch however does have live current and will give you a very nasty jolt.
Depends what you mean by the light fitting, The ceiling rose can be a junction box containing the L+N+E feed in, the L+N+E feed out, the LL to switch, as well as the L+N drop wires to the bulb holder.

I don't think I'd change a ceiling rose without switching off the circuit - and checking all the wires in the rose were dead.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 14:33:49
Print Post

Light fitting - yes, and have done. Light switch - no, and never would. The light fitting if the switch is working will not have live current. The light switch however does have live current and will give you a very nasty jolt.

THAT IS A DANGEROUS AND INCORRECT STATEMENT.

A light fitting may very well have an unswitched live. UK standards normally have the live fed to the fitting or junction box supplying the fitting and then a live feed to a switch which returns a switched live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 15:10:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Just as I said in my email reply to Ian72, though not perhaps so emphatically.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:27:07
Print Post

Lights controlled by two switches, such as landing lights, being interesting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:48:27
Print Post

Interesting, wasn't the case with the ones I have done. I do normally cut the power to the lighting circuit but the latest one I didn't and didn't have any need to. Obviously, you should check if there is a live feed first by using appropriate tools and I take no responsbility for anyone else who plays with electrics without taking the correct precautions.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:59:41
Print Post

Interesting, wasn't the case with the ones I have done. I do normally cut the power to the lighting circuit but the latest one I didn't and didn't have any need to. Obviously, you should check if there is a live feed first by using appropriate tools and I take no responsbility for anyone else who plays with electrics without taking the correct precautions.

Maybe you should consider whether to make dangerous statements on a subject yiou are not qualified or fully experienced in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:04:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

Maybe you should consider whether to make dangerous statements on a subject yiou are not qualified or fully experienced in.

Maybe anyone reading forums also has to assume it is a comment based on a persons current experience and people are not presenting themselves as experts in the field - but luckily other people are on forums to point out any mistakes. Shame we aren't all perfect.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:14:55
Print Post

based on a persons current experience
Is that ohms or raisins?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:28:59
Print Post

it is a comment based on a persons current experience
Or avoidance of such, one hopes. wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:12:41
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Hmm, not a particularly polite comment to Bob - who's trying to be helpful. If you're not a "noob" and you think you know what you're doing, then why ask what you did? Anyone who's not a "noob" should be fully aware that anything before the master socket - test point - is BT's liability: this negates the point of your question and your ramblings. Bob, Andrew and many others here try to help: your overdefensive indignation is pretty poor, I think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to