User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Galoka
(learned) Tue 04-Feb-14 08:42:20
Print Post

Re: Router Log Full Of Remote Admin Requests

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yup, some years back ( more than 10), we had a cable connection (then NTL, or maybe even C&W still). Single PC in the house, no router, just connected straight to the cable box.

One day, I reinstalled windows (probably 2000). I forgot to disconnect the machine from the cable box. It got infected with something (Blaster possibly, though I thought it was before that) pretty much as soon as it was installed, as I had no chance to install firewall
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:04:32
Print Post

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Galoka:
Yup, some years back ( more than 10), we had a cable connection (then NTL, or maybe even C&W still). Single PC in the house, no router, just connected straight to the cable box.

In 1999 I had NTL cable modem, on the trial. By mid 2000 I had bought a Linksys BEFSR41 the first real home NAT router.

Steve Gibson at GRC.com was hitting the airwaves hard in the US (cable internet was more established) about the dangers of no firewall etc. smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:15:20
Print Post

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

"If you mean, can someone crack the router password."

No....I meant the PC itself. Surely even if someone does get into the router, they then have to pass the next hurdle of getting into individual PCs on the network. If I try to access my PC from my wife's laptop...which is also on the network...I get asked for user name and password.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to