User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zer0
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:39:33
Print Post

Re: Disappointed with Infinity 2 Speed on Install Date

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So why does the offical BT openreach checker show that I will get 59.3 - I can understand that these are sometimes a little out; but getting just over 20 when the checker shows almost 60 is quite a large gap.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:43:03
Print Post

[re: Zer0] [link to this post]

If you look at Range B you appear to have an impacted line.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Zer0
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 21:05:10
Print Post

Hi,

I did a quick google for impacted line; which brings up the following TB article, which talks about internal wiring as the issue, is this the only case for an impacted line?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6173-bt-wholesale...

Cheers

Jon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Feb-14 21:09:45
Print Post

I never thought an impacted line would be due to internal wiring. How would BTWholesale know about that?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Zer0
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 21:19:53
Print Post

No Idea; it's just what the TB article says:

What do these changes mean and what is an impacted line? The clue is in the checker text which refers to a bridge tap and wiring issues. In laymans terms an impacted line is one where the VDSL2 service is running slower due to the presence of telephone extension wiring, or other things like non-twisted pair wiring in a home, or bad practice wiring (e.g. not using a coloured pair, but a wire from two different pairs). For the first four years of the FTTC roll-out these issues have largely been avoided, since the engineers arrive and install a filter faceplate and install a dedicated data extension if it was ordered. Once self-install becomes common we expect to see the same wiring issues cropping up that have regularly seen people with ADSL and ADSL2+ getting lower speeds than they should.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:16:22
Print Post

Because line testing can detect and report the effect of things like star wiring or bridge taps.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:18:43
Print Post

Bridge tap is like a T junction in the wiring, e.g. on an old house you might have a junction on the outside of the house and bits of cable running from it

Have you figured out how far you are from the cabinet?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:23:24
Print Post

Note that article (correctly) points out that an engineer install with the VDSL2 interstitial filter plate should normally avoid that issue.

Is the wiring at all odd in your house? In particular, is the master socket definitely the first "end point" of the incoming line, or is there a junction box somewhere feeding one or more extensions before it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zer0
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:00:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

The Master socket is in the living room; and i can follow the cable from the pole directly to the socket into the living room.

I had the socket installed about 6 years ago when i first moved into the property.

I am still trying to work out where the cab is that i am fed from.

Thanks

Jon
Standard User knighton
(regular) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:29:13
Print Post

a 20Mb line is not much more impressive than the 7Mb i was getting on my traditional ADSL line.

It would be to many of us!!

Can I buy your house?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to