User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jelly_Tussle
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:23:01
Print Post

Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[link to this post]

Please excuse the basic nature of my question; but I'm not very knowledageable about matters computer and internet related.

On another thread about changing ISP's I mentioned that “I have many thousands of e-mails” stored on my BT webmail. That comment brought these responses:

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
HINT: Storing emails at the ISP is not a good idea, as there is no comeback if they delete them by mistake. It is worth downloading and storing any crucial ones locally on the PC as well as keeping them at the ISP.

In reply to a post by MHC:
Start another thread - maybe in the BT section about emails and someone will take you through what to do.

In reply to a post by Jelly_Tussle:
Thanks.

Once I've decided whether to stick with BT or move to Plusnet; I'll post in the appropriate forum regarding the e-mails.

Cheers.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
smile
Wrong. Your question is about handling the BT email system so the people most likely to be able to help will be in the BT forum, not the Plusnet one. The ISP your connection is running through is in most cases irrelevant.

In reply to a post by MHC:
As RobertoS says - it is a BT issue.

And if you decide to migrate - make sure you have downloaded all of your emails from the server before you do. There is always that very small, minuscule chance (that could happen with any ISP) a small error causing the mail account to be deleted or locked.

In fact - I would suggest do it NOW.

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I was unaware that you could store e-mails locally and with the ISP. I thought it was either one or the other; not both. I'm not sure how to do this
To do that you need an eMail client on your PC, like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows (Live) Mail, Thunderbird. You can then either tell it to download everything or download and leave on server.

So given that I have been urged to download my e-mail locally; how do I go about it? The last post tells me that I need one of these: “ Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows (Live) Mail, Thunderbird”

Which one is best? Which is the easiest to set up and use? Where do I find these programmes?

I think I would like to download my e-mail locally and keep a copy on the Webmail server if this is possible.

Thanks.
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:40:08
Print Post

Re: Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[re: Jelly_Tussle] [link to this post]

In my copy of Outlook, I have the option of "download email but keep on server" so it can be done.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:47:16
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hypertony:
In my copy of Outlook, I have the option of "download email but keep on server" so it can be done.

Thanks.

I do not seem to have Outlook on my laptop.

Where can I get it?

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:53:03
Print Post

You probably have Windows 7, so may have Live Mail installed if not visit
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/esse...

The configuration you need is at
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:01:11
Print Post

Where can I get it?

Cheers.

Sorry, Outlook is part of Office 2013 setup. You can get a 'freebie' like Live Mail or Thunderbird - I'm pretty sure they have similar settings.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:12:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You probably have Windows 7, so may have Live Mail installed if not visit
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/esse...

The configuration you need is at
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876

Thank you again for your help.

Yes; I do have Windows 7. The 'Home Premium' version if it's relevant.

I'll check out those links; much appreciated.
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:14:32
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hypertony:

Where can I get it?

Cheers.

Sorry, Outlook is part of Office 2013 setup. You can get a 'freebie' like Live Mail or Thunderbird - I'm pretty sure they have similar settings.

Thank you.

I'll check out the link given to me by Mr Saffron for Live Mail first. If I'm too confused by that; I'll look at Thunderbird.

Cheers!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:30:23
Print Post

As suggested, set it to "leave emails on server". You can also tell it to delete emails from server when deleted locally.

Set it up offline and make sure your settings are correct. Then, when you go back online initiate a download and sit back for an hours or two ... if you have thousands of emails it could take a while to download.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 18:23:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've installed Live Mail and it seems to have automatically copied my Inbox; once I entered my e-mail address and password.

Thank you everyone!

In my webmail I have created numerous contacts where I have filed e-mails from particular people and organisations.

These do not seem to be in the contects section of Live Mail. Do I have to create my contacts manaully and then transfer e-mails from my inbox?

Is there anyway that I can transfer e-mails from the contacts section of my BT webmail to the contacts section of Live Messenger?

Cheers.
Standard User Galoka
(learned) Wed 12-Feb-14 18:26:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

More specifically, I would suggest that you set up your email client to use IMAP to collect your email.

Basically, IMAP synchronises the email between your local email client and the webmail system.

If you write an email in your client, or delete one from there then it wil be reflected on the server as well. If you write an email in the webmail then a that will be reflected in your email client.

Though you will need to make sure that you enable whatever setting there is to download all the emails - by default using IMAP email client don't actually download copies of all the emails,

The alternative collection method is called POP3. This is a more basic protocol, that just downloads emails sent to you. This will download copies of emails you have been sent. But it won't download copies of any emails you have sent to others for example.
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:20:58
Print Post

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Galoka:
More specifically, I would suggest that you set up your email client to use IMAP to collect your email.

Basically, IMAP synchronises the email between your local email client and the webmail system.

If you write an email in your client, or delete one from there then it wil be reflected on the server as well. If you write an email in the webmail then a that will be reflected in your email client.

Though you will need to make sure that you enable whatever setting there is to download all the emails - by default using IMAP email client don't actually download copies of all the emails,

The alternative collection method is called POP3. This is a more basic protocol, that just downloads emails sent to you. This will download copies of emails you have been sent. But it won't download copies of any emails you have sent to others for example.

Many Thanks.

Sorry; but I'm a bit of a techno dunce.

I don't know what IMAP is; let alone how to set it up to collect my e-mail. If you can point me to where to begin; that would be great.

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:47:51
Print Post

I don't know what IMAP is; let alone how to set it up to collect my e-mail. If you can point me to where to begin; that would be great.

Cheers.
Do you know how to take a security copy of your computer system (hard disc)? I'm a little concerned you are putting your historic emails at risk by following the instructions people are giving you that are only 80% complete.

To see if I'm worrying over nothing, have a look at your emails using the method you have always used. Are they still there? Or are they only in Live Mail?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 23:03:33
Print Post

What Happens to your BT Mail when you Leave BT BB?

Leaving BT Broadband?

We're sorry to see you go. If you've left BT Broadband and want to keep your BT email address, you can order BT Premium Mail for up to 30 days. For a small monthly fee of £1.60 a month, you get to keep all the benefits of your email service. Payment by Monthly Whole Bill Direct Debit and paper-free billing only, one month minimum term applies. Find out more about BT Premium Mail

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 23:14:37
Print Post

Luckily BT Mail does do IMAP (for reading) and secure SMTP (for sending), see: BT email: What are the settings for outgoing and incoming mail servers?.

BTW: May I congratulate yot in getting the hang of quoting other posts to which you are not directly replying in your OP smile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:13:23
Print Post

If you are changing ISPs then, unless you go for the BT Premium Email solution, as mentioned by Xrayspex, you will eventually lose all of your emails that are on BT's Server!

Regards,
John
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:24:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers.

Do you know how to take a security copy of your computer system (hard disc)? I'm a little concerned you are putting your historic emails at risk by following the instructions people are giving you that are only 80% complete.

Thanks for your concern.

No I don't know how to take security copy of my computer system. In fact I have not heard the term security copy until now. Do you mean a 'back up'? If so; I have programme installed (Cobian Backup) that automatically backs up my Laptops Hard Drive to an external one.

Your concern is justified; as I don't really know or understand what I'm doing. I probably would have done this later on; but people suggested that this was a matter of urgency; so I thought I should do it now.

To see if I'm worrying over nothing, have a look at your emails using the method you have always used. Are they still there? Or are they only in Live Mail?

My e-mails are still there; although they are now all marked as read even though I have not read them. I presume that because they are being copied to Live Mail; BT's server thinks I have read them?

By the way; do I need the Live Mail programme open for it to work? If I close the programme; would it still copy my mail in the background?

Cheers.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:37:19
Print Post

Re: What Happens to your BT Mail when you Leave BT BB?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Leaving BT Broadband?

We're sorry to see you go. If you've left BT Broadband and want to keep your BT email address, you can order BT Premium Mail for up to 30 days. For a small monthly fee of £1.60 a month, you get to keep all the benefits of your email service. Payment by Monthly Whole Bill Direct Debit and paper-free billing only, one month minimum term applies. Find out more about BT Premium Mail

Thanks for that.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:40:39
Print Post

Luckily BT Mail does do IMAP (for reading) and secure SMTP (for sending), see: BT email: What are the settings for outgoing and incoming mail servers?.

BTW: May I congratulate yot in getting the hang of quoting other posts to which you are not directly replying in your OP smile.

Thank you for that link; I will read that as soon as I can.

I have posted on other forums before ; so there are a few things I have managed to grasp!

Cheers.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:43:34
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
If you are changing ISPs then, unless you go for the BT Premium Email solution, as mentioned by Xrayspex, you will eventually lose all of your emails that are on BT's Server!

Thank you.

I don't think I have made it clear on this thread (my apologies) but I already have Premium Mail for which BT charge me £1.60 a month.

I presume if I change ISP; I would carry on accessing my webmail as if nothing has happened?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:54:53
Print Post

Security Copy - yes a backup to an external drive is what was meant.

When you say close, if you mean close the programme so it is not running then it cannot retrieve email at those times.

BUT most email programmes when you minimise them are still running, and will give you an alert (e.g. mail envelope on the system tray area - icons in the bottom right).

So really depends on if you mean minimise or close.

A big advantage of having the emails locally is that if the BT mail server is not accessible, e.g. broadband broke or they have servers down for maintenance you can still search your email on your PC.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected].com

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 13-Feb-14 09:59:24)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 10:36:10
Print Post

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

Security Copy - yes a backup to an external drive is what was meant.

When you say close, if you mean close the programme so it is not running then it cannot retrieve email at those times.

BUT most email programmes when you minimise them are still running, and will give you an alert (e.g. mail envelope on the system tray area - icons in the bottom right).

So really depends on if you mean minimise or close.

Thank you. I meant minimise. Its good to know that Live Mail will still work this way.

A big advantage of having the emails locally is that if the BT mail server is not accessible, e.g. broadband broke or they have servers down for maintenance you can still search your email on your PC.

Thanks; I do appreciate that benefit. While I can see that Live Mail (or similar) has the benefit of preserving your mail if the ISP loses it; I think that also having your mail on webmail means that it is preserved if your PC dies.

Presumably having both is the best solution?
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-14 12:34:45
Print Post

I don't think I have made it clear on this thread (my apologies) but I already have Premium Mail for which BT charge me £1.60 a month.

I presume if I change ISP; I would carry on accessing my webmail as if nothing has happened?

On face-value, the answer is YES!

However, given that it is always possible that silly errors can occur during transfer, I would certainly recommend that you get all of these locally backed up as a precaution!

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Feb-14 13:52:59
Print Post

In terms of belt and braces yes

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
(learned) Thu 13-Feb-14 15:38:22
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:

On face-value, the answer is YES!

However, given that it is always possible that silly errors can occur during transfer, I would certainly recommend that you get all of these locally backed up as a precaution!

Ok; thanks for the advice. I think I'll need to figure out how to download all my e-mail locally; not just my inbox but all my contact e-mails as well before I swap ISP's.

Cheers.
(learned) Thu 13-Feb-14 15:39:44
Print Post

In terms of belt and braces yes

Many thanks for that.
(learned) Thu 13-Feb-14 15:56:48
Print Post

I've had a quick look at the link. I'm sorry to say it is mostly double dutch to me.

I cannot see how to change my settings in Live Mail to import anything other my Inbox.

My 'Sent' e-mails as well as the 'Draft' and 'Junk' folders have not been imported. And more importantly I have separate 'Contacts' folders for many dozens of people that contain thousands of e-mails. Those I would now live to copy into Live Mail and I cannot see where to begin.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 00:19:39
Print Post

Three things smile.

As well as Live Mail working while minimised, it should have a setting somewhere to make it load when Windows loads, i.e.when you switch your computer on. It may have defaulted to that when you installed Live Mail. See if you can find the setting and check that it did.

Your contacts list probably needs you to export it from where it is to a CSV file. (CSV - Comma Separated Variables). You should be able to export it to a folder on your computer. Then import it from there into Live Mail contacts.

How strange that the Sent and "Contacts" folders etc haven't copied down. They do if using Thunderbird.

Edit - a fourth.
I assume you have message rules set up on your BT email. I think there is a bit of messing around needed to get things as you want them, but it can be done.

Second edit - Crossed out the first main paragraph - a brainstorm, sorry, as pointed out by XRaySpeX. I was thinking of including a shortcut to it in the Start(up) folder of Windows in versions before Win 8. What version do you have?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 14-Feb-14 01:58:48)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:07:07
Print Post

How strange that the Sent and "Contacts" folders etc haven't copied down. They do if using Thunderbird.
POP3 only reads Inbox. You using IMAP in TB?

There is no essential diff between diff mail clients; they all have same functionality; just diff ways to skin the same cat.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:37:59
Print Post

it should have a setting somewhere to make it load when Windows loads
WLM doesn't! Nor does TB as far as I can see, does it?

Of course you can always set it up manually in the [Run] section of the Registry.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:38:56
Print Post

I thought the OP was using IMAP in Live Mail. I wonder if he is using POP3 with retention on the server? That would explain it, as you say. I forgot the latter possibility when I asked if the emails were still visible on the server.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:45:16
Print Post

Last we heard fom OP, http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4305415-re-web... , he said he didn't understand IMAP and couldn't follow the instructions.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:57:57
Print Post

it should have a setting somewhere to make it load when Windows loads
WLM doesn't! Nor does TB as far as I can see, does it?
D'oh! See my second edit to the post.
Of course you can always set it up manually in the [Run] section of the Registry.
Never done that. Just use the Start folder. (Or Startup, I can never remember its name). I expect that's all that does.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 02:19:30
Print Post

Yes, Startup folder will do; just got used to playing with the [Run] key of Registry.

Am busy 'exporting' my filter Rules from XP OE to W8.1 WLM. They provide no Export/Import frown. I know where they go in Registry so I tried Registry Export, massage the keys in the saved file and then Registry Import but was hindered by OE rules are stored in 1-byte chars but WLM are 2-byte chars. But am managing with a mixture of Registry transfer and manual input.

Have yet to transfer my contacts but at least they do provide an Export/Import.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 09:28:20
Print Post

Hi there

I see you got sorted on how to change the broadband username and password in your router.

As for your email, Windows Live Mail will configure your account as POP by default. This has the problems you are experiencing (including it has now marked your emails as read on the server). You need to setup the account again but this time manually configure it as IMAP:

Go to Accounts at the top, then click Email with the green plus symbol. A box that says 'Add your email account' should pop up. Enter your email address and password, enter a display name for outgoing emails, and make sure to check 'Make this default account' as well as 'Manually configure server settings', then click Next. On this next page, for incoming server, change Server Type to IMAP, enter mail.btinternet.com as Server Address, check requires SSL, for 'logon user name' enter your full email address again, and don't change anything else. For outgoing server information, enter mail.btinternet.com and check both boxes 'requires SSL' and 'requires authentication', then change port to 465. Then click Next and Finish.
(learned) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:09:50
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Hi there

I see you got sorted on how to change the broadband username and password in your router.

As for your email, Windows Live Mail will configure your account as POP by default. This has the problems you are experiencing (including it has now marked your emails as read on the server). You need to setup the account again but this time manually configure it as IMAP:

Go to Accounts at the top, then click Email with the green plus symbol. A box that says 'Add your email account' should pop up. Enter your email address and password, enter a display name for outgoing emails, and make sure to check 'Make this default account' as well as 'Manually configure server settings', then click Next. On this next page, for incoming server, change Server Type to IMAP, enter mail.btinternet.com as Server Address, check requires SSL, for 'logon user name' enter your full email address again, and don't change anything else. For outgoing server information, enter mail.btinternet.com and check both boxes 'requires SSL' and 'requires authentication', then change port to 465. Then click Next and Finish.

I cannot thank you enough for your post!

That is exactly the sort of help I needed; a simple, clear, step by step account of what to do. I have followed your instructions and now all my 'contacts' folders and their contents have downloaded.

Thank you so much!

Funnily enough; before I changed any of the settings you mentioned; one e-mail arrived in my Live Mail Inbox but did not appear in my webmail Inbox at all. I presume that this is just fluke; but is this likely to happen from time time?
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:52:29
Print Post

I cannot thank you enough for your post!

That is exactly the sort of help I needed; a simple, clear, step by step account of what to do. I have followed your instructions and now all my 'contacts' folders and their contents have downloaded.

Thank you so much!

Funnily enough; before I changed any of the settings you mentioned; one e-mail arrived in my Live Mail Inbox but did not appear in my webmail Inbox at all. I presume that this is just fluke; but is this likely to happen from time time?

That's the difference between POP3 and IMAP. POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded. IMAP will leave emails on the server and so you will see them on both Live Mail and Webmail. IMAP is the more sophisticated protocol and it will allow you to configure an email client on multiple devices (Laptop, Desktop, Phone) and will preserve a single consistent view of your emails.

One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail. Now that you've configured IMAP, subsequent emails should stay on your email server and be visible from both Live Mail and Webmail.

Edited by coyrls (Fri 14-Feb-14 17:18:04)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 18:37:59
Print Post

Glad to help.

Don't worry about the 'missing' web email - this should never happen once we delete the POP account in Windows Live Mail:

First, let's retrieve these missing emails. In Windows Live Mail, on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click on 'properties' on the right. In the new window, UN-check the option 'include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing'. Click Apply, then OK, then Close.

Now, in Windows LIve Mail, on the left you should see two accounts with their folders - the top one should be your IMAP account, the bottom one should be your POP account - click on the bottom account's Inbox and there should be your 'missing' emails. Highlight the ones you want to retrieve, then right-click and select 'Copy to Folder...' In the new pop-up window, select the Inbox folder of the top account then click OK. On the left of Live Mail, click on the Inbox of the top account and check they have copied over.

If you are satisfied that the top account has everything you need, you can now delete the bottom POP account. on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click 'Remove' on the right. Click OK, then close. Now press F5 which updates and syncs your emails.

Your emails should now be present in both Windows Live Mail and on the web, and will be in sync with each other.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:06:42
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by coyrls:
POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded.
One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail.
Not always true! And not in OP's case.

Not true when you have configured POP3 client to leave emails on server, as OP was advised and has carried out, judging by the effects he reports.

Standard User coyrls
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:47:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by coyrls:
POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded.
One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail.
Not always true! And not in OP's case.

Not true when you have configured POP3 client to leave emails on server, as OP was advised and has carried out, judging by the effects he reports.

I know that you can configure POP3 to leave emails on the server, however the effect he was reporting was an email arriving at his Live Mail client that was not visible from Webmail. This effect is not consistent with configuring POP3 to leave emails on the server. My point remains that IMAP would be the preferred protocol to use. Leaving emails on a POP3 server can be very confusing, as they have to be deleted in (at least) two places and the Live Mail view will not be consistent with the Webmail view if emails have been deleted at one location but not the other.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-14 22:18:22
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

Not what OP answered when asked if his msgs were still there:
My e-mails are still there; although they are now all marked as read even though I have not read them. I presume that because they are being copied to Live Mail; BT's server thinks I have read them?
That can only occur when you configure mail client to leave msgs on server.

(learned) Wed 19-Feb-14 16:04:04
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Glad to help.

Don't worry about the 'missing' web email - this should never happen once we delete the POP account in Windows Live Mail:

First, let's retrieve these missing emails. In Windows Live Mail, on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click on 'properties' on the right. In the new window, UN-check the option 'include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing'. Click Apply, then OK, then Close.

Now, in Windows LIve Mail, on the left you should see two accounts with their folders - the top one should be your IMAP account, the bottom one should be your POP account - click on the bottom account's Inbox and there should be your 'missing' emails. Highlight the ones you want to retrieve, then right-click and select 'Copy to Folder...' In the new pop-up window, select the Inbox folder of the top account then click OK. On the left of Live Mail, click on the Inbox of the top account and check they have copied over.

If you are satisfied that the top account has everything you need, you can now delete the bottom POP account. on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click 'Remove' on the right. Click OK, then close. Now press F5 which updates and syncs your emails.

Your emails should now be present in both Windows Live Mail and on the web, and will be in sync with each other.

Apologies for my tardy reply; but I have been away for a few days and unable to post.

Many, many thanks yet again for your very helpful post. I think I followed your advice step by step and seem to have recovered most of my missing e-mails. My 'POP' account has now been deleted as you suggested.

However; for some reason; none of my 'sent' e-mails have been copied into Live Mail. They are still there on my Webmail; but none of them are in Live Mail.

Thanks again.
(learned) Tue 04-Mar-14 21:38:33
Print Post

Thank you all for your help and advice.

With a great deal of help from vimto_girl; I seem to have sorted out most of the issues with WLM. There are still some anomalies i.e. my BT Webmail 'Sent' folder has been duplicated among the sub folders and not into the 'Sent Items' folder in WLM. Its slightly annoying; but not a major problem.

I intend to set up a Plusnet e-mail address at some point. Would it be possible to also download e-mail from my Plusnet webmail to WLM as well as downloading from BT Webmail at the same time?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Mar-14 22:24:06
Print Post

Yes, you can add as many email accounts from as many providers as you like.

If you are going to be paying for your email service consider getting yourself your own domain name and email account. That way it goes with you wherever you go. It costs me about £12 a year for my domain name and email service with 1&1, though others companies offer similar type of services at around the same sort of price. Or there's always Google mail for free which can also follow you wherever you go and is not tied to any ISP. I have a mixture of Google Mail, Live mail (MS) and my own domain email addresses which I use for different things all of which are in my WLM. All of the aforementioned email providers also offer the option of Web access to your accounts if away from your PC.

Edited by jcym (Tue 04-Mar-14 22:27:36)

(learned) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:05:07
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
Yes, you can add as many email accounts from as many providers as you like.

If you are going to be paying for your email service consider getting yourself your own domain name and email account. That way it goes with you wherever you go. It costs me about £12 a year for my domain name and email service with 1&1, though others companies offer similar type of services at around the same sort of price. Or there's always Google mail for free which can also follow you wherever you go and is not tied to any ISP. I have a mixture of Google Mail, Live mail (MS) and my own domain email addresses which I use for different things all of which are in my WLM. All of the aforementioned email providers also offer the option of Web access to your accounts if away from your PC.

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what a 'domain name' is. Is that basically a web address for an individual that has linked e-mail facilities? That could be interesting; I'll have to find out more.

Thanks.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:23:09
Print Post

Well the domain name for this site is thinkbroadband.com. You can get your own for about £2 a year. E.g. the company 1&1 I mentioned before, does a .co.uk for 1.99 a year. Though others like .com are more.

So, as an example, you could have the domain Jelly-Tussle.co.uk, but it can be anything that hasn't already been taken. You would then have an email address of 'putwhateveryouwanthere'@Jelly-Tussle.co.uk. It has to be - not _ as _ is not allowed. It is available BTW smile.

Their instant email package on top of the 1.99 a year for the domain name is £0.99/month at the moment. Add 20% VAT to both prices so you are looking at is £16.64, sorry I still have mine at a slightly lower price due to having it for a long time, hence the difference between the price above and the first price I mentioned. With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses. Other domain name handlers offer similar packages at around the same sort of price..

The main advantage is that as long as you pay your yearly fees, it doesn't matter which ISP you go with.

Edited by jcym (Tue 04-Mar-14 23:30:07)

(learned) Wed 05-Mar-14 00:37:29
Print Post

Well the domain name for this site is thinkbroadband.com. You can get your own for about £2 a year. E.g. the company 1&1 I mentioned before, does a .co.uk for 1.99 a year. Though others like .com are more.

So, as an example, you could have the domain Jelly-Tussle.co.uk, but it can be anything that hasn't already been taken. You would then have an email address of 'putwhateveryouwanthere'@Jelly-Tussle.co.uk. It has to be - not _ as _ is not allowed. It is available BTW smile.

Their instant email package on top of the 1.99 a year for the domain name is £0.99/month at the moment. Add 20% VAT to both prices so you are looking at is £16.64, sorry I still have mine at a slightly lower price due to having it for a long time, hence the difference between the price above and the first price I mentioned. With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses. Other domain name handlers offer similar packages at around the same sort of price..

The main advantage is that as long as you pay your yearly fees, it doesn't matter which ISP you go with.

Thanks for that clear and detailed answer.

That sounds very interesting and is something I will certainly look into.

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 01:24:46
Print Post

Have a read of this page, for a bit more detail.

I like Tsohost, see the link on that page, but unless you also want website hosting they are a bit more expensive than 1&1. My prices I think are a bit out of date. Tsohost Customer Service is first class.

1&1 are well thought of as well.

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 05:00:32
Print Post

You have an interesting and useful looking site there Robertos, I'll have to have a good browse when I have more time, in the meantime I have bookmarked it for future reference so thanks.

As you say, there are a few good providers out there and I find that the main difference between them in pricing is more often than not down to the exact details of each one's offerings and/or sign up special offers. BTW, Tsohost looks quite good and I'll have to keep them in mind for the future, though for my present needs I am happy with the basic Instant Mail package I have with 1&1 for now. Though I do like the look of Tsohost's lite cloud web hosting offering, more than enough features and resources for something I have in mind for the near future, so thanks again.

Edited by jcym (Wed 05-Mar-14 05:05:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:42:32
Print Post

If you transfer in a domain registration, they add a year free to it. (At least, they do for .uk domains. So worth checking that at decision time).

Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:39:56
Print Post

With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses.

Actually you have a lot more than 5 email addresses available.

With that package you get 5 named mailboxes which can be used for storage but you can have many more email addresses which can be forwarded to one of the mailboxes or another email account entirely (I'm not sure of the limit)

You can also create a catchall email address so that any email sent to your domain will be received. I use this regularly when signing up to a new site eg [email protected], [email protected] This usage also has the benefit of letting you know where somebody actually got your email address from.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Mar-14 17:22:54
Print Post

1&1 are well thought of as well.

Yep, I agree. 1&1 have all their servers in Germany but in my experience this has very little impact on throughput and latency.

Oliver.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:03:43
Print Post

Cheers, you're right, worth knowing, every little helps, as they say smile
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:15:16
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Yes, I know, I find Instant Mail a very good package at the price and, like you, really appreciate their 150 allowed aliases and the catch all feature. I have been with them for as long as I can remember with only one relatively minor issue some 5 (don't quote me) or so years ago where they had a problem at one of their data centres that lasted a few days. This caused slow or limited email access for some, though I only noticed a slight issue for less than a day. That aside I have never had any other issue with their service and have only ever needed to use their email support for the odd query, which has always been answered within 24 hours. I was just keeping it to the basics for Jelly_Tussle or my post would have run on and on, like this one smile.
(regular) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:38:21
Print Post

Thanks everybody for your input.

To be honest; most of the last few posts are beyond my understanding. I'll try and educate myself and hopefully make sense of things!

Cheers.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 20:03:07
Print Post

Yep, the basics that 1and1 offer would seem to meet Jelly_Tussle's requirements.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of the extra's that you can get with the basic package so apologies for posting something which you are well aware off.

Like yourself I have had virtually no problems with 1and1's service and I think the only time I contacted them was in my initial setup phase (and that was by telephone!)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 21:50:42
Print Post

I wouldn't worry too much about it smile. For the basics they offer an Instant Mail package that would, if you wanted it, allow up to five totally different email addresses each with a 2 GB sized mail box. In your case, initially at least smile, you would only need one.

However, what you can do is create aliases. These are email addresses with the same domain name but different beginnings. e.g.

your main address might be

[email protected]

but you could then create aliases such as

'different beginning used for particular web sites or services'@jelly-tussle.co.uk

'even another different beginning used for another particular web sites or services'@jelly-tussle.co.uk

etc. You can have up to 150 of these aliases per main email address. These are useful if you want to keep different services/sites apart for easy filtering or or to keep track of whether some of the services/sites you use which ask for an email address to use them are giving out your email addresses to SPAMmers and the like. But for your needs for now the basic package is all you need to worry about.

Catchall means that any email with an ending of your domain, i.e. the jelly-tussle.co.uk part in the above example, but with any beginning part would be caught for your later perusal. Though where you haven't created an address with a particular alias it is more likely than not that such emails are SPAM.

Other providers offer similar features in their mail packages at roughly the same sort of price.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 21:52:19
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

No need for apologies, after all, one never knows what another knows beforehand smile and while I already knew it, others might benefit from the info.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to