User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 18:03:39
Print Post

Re: Speed below predicted

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What sort of photos are you looking for? I can try and get some up this evening.

If this is the problem will I be able to do anything myself or should I request an engineer?
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 23:22:51
Print Post

[re: bd10] [link to this post]

Any help?

Sorry I haven't got any pictures up I am still unsure which ones exactly are needed to make it clear and I haven't yet figured out where the extension socket goes when it leaves the house.

Speeds still haven't improved and are far out of both Range A and B. Would it be worth reporting this to BT?

Edited by bd10 (Mon 17-Feb-14 23:23:15)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Feb-14 23:45:10
Print Post

Chicken and egg situation.

Some pictures showing what you think is the master and how it is wired will be a start

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-14 00:48:24
Print Post

Mine is estimated 79.9 down and 20.0 up and getting sync rate of 79987/19999 as BT Openreach engineer removed all wiring in the back of master socket and threw it away. Replaced brand new master socket with grey cable behind the terminal end and he cut half of it, put two wiring in the back of the socket A & B and then plugged in MK2 as there is no wiring behind faceplate.

plusnetFTTC72 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Tue 18-Feb-14 00:51:48)

Standard User bd10
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 11:40:45
Print Post

http://imgur.com/a/0S9AK

Some interior pictures, let me know if any more are needed or perhaps some exterior shots.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:41:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by bd10:
http://imgur.com/a/0S9AK

Some interior pictures, let me know if any more are needed or perhaps some exterior shots.

Great pictures but where is the modem connection in relation to all these wires and connection boxes? Seriously, not trying to be rude, but it looks a bit like a 'dogs breakfast' of wires and faceplates. Not the sort of thing that BB likes. I am not sure that it it is something that BT will fix without a charge.

Edited by lexden16 (Tue 18-Feb-14 12:45:06)

Standard User bd10
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:48:16
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

By modem connection do you mean home hub?

Also, I know it really is a mess but I had to get my mother to be at home during the install and she isn't very technical at all. I was hoping the engineer who installed it would have known or suggested what you said but apparently not. Would they really say that this was my fault? If they insist then I probably wouldn't have a problem paying for it if it means I actually get the speeds that I should.

Edited by bd10 (Tue 18-Feb-14 12:49:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:49:20
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Modem is probably safe assumption on the end of the RJ11 lead into the top of the MK2 faceplate

Picture 2 - what is the white cable running under the Openreach socket.
Picture 3 - is that the same single cable as from the Openreach socket? Looks like maybe two cables.
Picture 4 - looks like two cables heading into a junction box
Picture 5 - a lot hinges on what is happening inside this Virgin box
Does the wire then head to picture 6

To me it looks like house was rewired for Virgin, and maybe then rewired again for BT. When the openreach faceplate is removed do any of sockets work for a telephone?

Looks very like the master socket is a fair way from where the openreach entry point is to the property, and one split pair in that wiring could impact on your actual speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:56:20
Print Post

Just want to say I'm really grateful for the help.

Picture 2 - White cable goes to security alarm.
Pictures 3 and 4 - The other white cable is old Virgin cable going to superhub.
Picture 5 - Would it be safe to maybe take that box down and get some pictures of what's behind/inside?

I will test the sockets this afternoon.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 14:18:21
Print Post

The security alarm - is it connected to the phone line? If so where.

Alarms need a dedicated filter, otherwise they impact on broadband performance when wired to a telephone line.

The virgin box should be just a passive device with no power so safe to remove cover and peek.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to