User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 15:30:37
Print Post

Re: Speed below predicted

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://imgur.com/a/lUt49

Pictures of inside box.
Standard User jw6520
(regular) Tue 18-Feb-14 16:19:05
Print Post

[re: bd10] [link to this post]

Looks to me like the TV cable from outside connects to an isolator (separates the internal / external cabling and protects from hazardous voltages from being transferred to in-home
installations). The other cable I assume would be the cable telephone line which appears to be crimped to the internal wiring for the telephone??
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 18-Feb-14 17:15:32
Print Post

What a mess!

The incoming Orange and White are a pair and they are connected to the internal Bl/Wh & Wh/Bl which is fine. A little concerned about the fact that there is a few millimetres of insulation stripped off the two wires though.

And the proximity of the cable isolator to the wires could cause some interference especially as it appears not to be earthed - even though teh diagram shows and earth connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 18:59:00
Print Post

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

Could be the cable telephone line, or it heads around home to join somewhere to the Openreach phone line.

Now to trace where this what looks to be a black external cable heads to.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-14 11:56:05
Print Post

https://imgur.com/a/KHx9s

Traced the black cable. I don't believe the security alarm is connected to the phone line and I still can't figure out where the extension socket goes when it leaves the house, maybe it joins up to something behind the wall?
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:23:37
Print Post

So it has now been more than the claimed '10 days' and still no improvement (not that I expected anything). Would it be worth at all ringing BT about this just to stop hassling everyone here tongue, or is there anywhere else I could get help from?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:50:01
Print Post

If the alarm is connected to the phone line in such a way that it is before the faceplate then that will be the culprit.

The black cable outside looks like BT stuff, and the black round box is meant to be a weather proof joint, i.e. closed not open.

So question stands as I don't think its being answered, if you remove the VDSL faceplate, do any other telephone sockets work in the property? If not then phones are OK. If the alarm still thinks there is a phone line connected then an ADSL filter needs to be fitted. Depending on the alarm and its rules it may need the alarm people to visit or you can get someone else to fit it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:57:03
Print Post

Sorry for missing some of your questions. In terms of phones none of the other sockets (that I know of) work but I did mention the old extension which was cut in the middle as I thought it might still be affecting the line in some way if it was simply just cut.

The alarm is actually no longer active (wasn't confident about stating this on a forum, hopefully nobody can work out where I live haha) but again like the old virgin wiring the wiring for it is still up. Could it still be causing a problem?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 23:00:41
Print Post

If the alarm is connected to the bt wiring and not turned on it may still have an effect, and similarly with the cut wiring.

Sounds like you need to do some removing of old wiring that is no longer needed to be sure its not connected to the BT phone line, or get someone out to do a thorough check. The wiring may have no effect, but impossible to give a 100% answer either way, without actually being there to see it all.

BT won't do that for free.

Standard User bd10
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 23:14:35
Print Post

That's fine, thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll work on getting all the old wiring out first and report back after, unless I have any more questions about the process or the wiring.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to