User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Fri 21-Feb-14 22:53:30
Print Post

Re: Speed below predicted

[re: bd10] [link to this post]

Just one more quick question, what should I be looking for during this for any hints if anything was actually impacting my broadband. Following the entire line from computer to telephone pole today I see that the wire simply goes from master socket down the stairs outside house behind virgin box and up to telephone pole. I guess what I'm basically asking is in what ways could the other wiring actually be affecting this and would I need to necessarily call someone out for help with any of the things that could be a problem. I'm going to start removing all the old wiring tomorrow and this should be my last question before then but I like to read around or learn a bit about everything I'm doing so I can help others or myslef fix any similar problems.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Feb-14 23:29:39
Print Post

Old wiring should only effect the current phone line if it is connected to the line, so looking for where extra wiring connects to the line

You need to be sure about what you are removing, as do it wrong and may break the line and land yourself with a BT bill to put it right again

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Sat 22-Feb-14 11:34:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, my point is it looks very much like none of the old wiring is actually connecting to the new wiring as most of the wiring is in plain sight and the only time it isn't is behind the virgin box which I have already looked at.

Also, the isolator appears to be connected to the old incoming virgin cable (the connections at the end are the exact same as the wire from that white box to super hub. Since it doesn't appear to be connected to any BT cabling would it be safe to disconnect the incoming virgin wire?

Edited by bd10 (Sat 22-Feb-14 11:42:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Feb-14 13:58:32
Print Post

If the virgin wiring is not used for anything then yes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Sun 23-Feb-14 14:15:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, so I've removed most of the old wiring including all the virgin wiring. I left some up because it was either to awkward or difficult to remove it and I'm pretty sure none of the old wiring actually connects to the new wiring anyway. Also disconnected the isolator in the virgin box and still no change in speed. Any advice on what my next steps should be? I am trying to find others with similar problems because I realise I am asking a lot of questions.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 14:09:11
Print Post

Any help? Sorry to be a hassle but I've had no progress since last week and I've run out of ideas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Mar-14 14:58:16
Print Post

It may simply be that there is enough cross talk to slow you down, or the DLM saw errors early on and slowed you done, or the estimate from the checker is wrong.

So if wiring is pristine in the house, you've pretty much exhausted things, beyond buying different VDSL2 modems to see if one gives a better speed

The key point is that when you are given an estimate to treat it as such. Cannot remember if you have measured out the distance to the cabinet to see if current speeds roughly match line length

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to