User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 15:50:46
Print Post

Re: BT in denial over Ubisoft issues

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

Ubisoft.com don't respond to ICMP ping requests, since a few years ago, they got D doss'd because of their DRM included in some of their games, which ment those games could not be played without an internet connection even single player mode

google should find the details the IP that responded if-3-2.tcore1.W6C-Montreal.as6453.net is the hop before the ubisoft network

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 06-Mar-14 15:54:00)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 15:57:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

They do have a direct route that's my point , they just as of late haven't been using it
but that route still exists as do their data centers it maybe that they use the direct path for the return leg , but they should use the direct route for both
Maybe it's down to volume of traffic, in which case they need to upgrade those links, or isp's should seek alternative peering

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 06-Mar-14 15:59:59)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 06-Mar-14 17:21:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The link you are referring to may have been taken out of service either automatically or manually due to equipment failure, maintenance or a cable break.

If there is a cable break it could take a while to fix depending on the route the cable actually takes.

Alas gaming isn't a mission critical activity nor do gaming customers usually have business accounts so it won't be something BT will treat as a priority.

It also has limited sway (as does any ISP) on the transit policy of its transit providers, it probably selected the ones it did based on a balance of performance and cost and it now probably has a lengthy contract to lock in a predictable cost.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Mar-14 18:16:06
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Is that what's called a "textbook answer"? Because your post doesn't bear any resemblance to reality.

You're obviously not a BT customer, so you're unaware of the issue or the history.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 18:48:21
Print Post

Well because people from other isp's that used tinet backbone to ubisoft.com have not been complaining about the same issues, It would appear to be an issue with certain peering links that BT used or the way BT retail configured their side of things, But quite possibly as a result of this change of peering to as6453.net has caused this change in route, and higher latency, for others

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 06-Mar-14 18:49:24)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 06-Mar-14 20:36:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Evening Batboy

What I offered was a possible explanation to the points Tommy raised regarding routing changes.

FYI I am in the process of reading through the thread on BT's site in order to try to assist but no I've not been a BT broadband customer but have experienced issues reaching certain sites with other ISPs due to routing loops and other problems.

I seek to assist, not to get embroiled in exchanges with those of a combative disposition.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 06-Mar-14 21:04:35
Print Post

As you can see, BT are aware of the issue
Hi all

Just a note to say we’re aware that some BT Infinity customers are unable to access the UPlay service or the ubi.com web portal currently.

We’ve been in touch with Ubisoft and are continuing to investigate the cause, we’ll update you with more when we have it. Access to ubi.com and UPlay over BT Broadband (ADSL) and BT Wi-Fi is unaffected.

Cheers
Stuart
BTCare Community Mod

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 06-Mar-14 21:11:25
Print Post

That's good to hear.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Standard User c_j
(legend) Thu 06-Mar-14 23:04:42
Print Post

"he deleted/hid all his tweets"

The twittering may have gone but there are traces elsewhere: e.g. the words of wisdom posted by BT's Chief Network Architect in response to AG's Ubisoft news article on Jan 24th are still online right here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6260-bt-infinity-...

And there's more McRae-related news (but not Ubisoft-related) from a couple of weeks back on Adrian Kennard's blog (that's RevK of AAISP) at
http://www.revk.me.uk
specifically at
http://revk.www.me.uk/2014/02/stats-arent-facts.html and, just before that, at
http://revk.www.me.uk/2014/02/bt-21cn-not-fit-for-pu...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Mar-14 19:13:14
Print Post

And they still haven't done anything to fix it, people on their forum are still having the same issues with ubisoft's forced drm cloud based game saving system Uplay and ubi for some uknown reason have made it harder for their customers to diagnose where issues may lie because they are currently using a DDos scrubbing service verisign that is masking the peering /routing info to ubisoft ,
Ubi are a joke outfit always have been and sadly always will be , this is how the big corporations treat us paying customers , time to boycott ubi,vote with your wallets & don't buy any more ubisoft games only then will they learn to give good customer service

It wasn't Tinet spa

IMO i think there is a link between BT's implementation of CGN and how the Ubisoft server system sees this, it may have seen it as some kind of attack, maybe the reason behind this verisign bs that has also increased latency for not just customers of bt

I have not seen any similar reports from any customers other than BT customers, so it has to be down to BT as said my guess CGN
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to