User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Mar-14 11:28:53
Print Post

Re: R.A.I.N

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Maybe a small doh

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Mar-14 14:28:26
Print Post

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ismoore999:
Well it is consistent - starts around 17:10 every night and goes on until the morning.
Only affects fibre so I am hoping that narrows it down to about 400m!

Only effects fibre ...

Do you know where your FTTC cabinet is and where the original cabinet is located?

If you do go and look at the route between the cabinets. Are there any streetlamps or illuminated road signs along there? There is a distinct possibility that the tie pair between the cabinets is picking up noise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 20-Mar-14 15:02:36
Print Post

Re: R.E.I.N (thanks to Mr Saffron for correcting me!)

took 6 months for me on o2 LLU from early to mid 2011

engineer came after 4 "normal" engineers failed to find the reason why my connection dropped every few mins on any snrm upto 15db, o2 were very good with getting engineers and in the end a chap appeared and identified himself as a r.e.i.n engineer and told me he would try and have me up and running again soon, about 3 hours later i got a call saying he had found 5 problems between myself and exchange and were now fixed

i called o2 got a reset to 6db and a sync of 18meg on a 28db attenuation so took a while but was worth the wait in the end smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EE unlimited Fibre 76

72meg sync
EE Brightbox 2 (Ethernet Mode) + Openeach ECI Modem

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 15:43:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

HI

Only affects fibre as in I get no noise from phone etc.

Yes the cabinet is quite a distance away - in fact I just traced it and it is 700m.

It is according to one of the engineers a real issue, overloaded, and they are getting a lot of underground issues reported for it. He hated it as he said everytime they fix one problem they risk creating another . Travels underground except for last 30m from pole.
Hence my concern!
Standard User insider12
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 15:49:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by ismoore999:
Only affects fibre as in I get no noise from phone etc.

as previously stated. REIN cannot affect Fibre.
It can affect the Copper from the cab to your house, not the fibre itself.
Fibre uses light = electrical does not effect light.

CCNA, CCNP, MTA.
Virgin Media 60Mbps
ISP networking and WiFi Engineer.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 15:50:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew

I have tried ruling out most things - central heating, lights etc.
The times definitely don't coincide with anything I have on. but I will try and dig out a radio from somewhere.

Fibre engineer was out on Tuesday with a copper engineer and they found nothing but that was at 15.20 - before the witching hour of 17:10!

I think that from what everyone has said, if I find nothing in the house - VM here I come!
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 16:00:03
Print Post

[re: insider12] [link to this post]

Sorry understood that.
I meant it is only affecting the DSL component and not the phone component - the copper from Cabinet to premises - but at ~700m that is quite a distance.
I had issues last year but at the same time as a noisy phone line...

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Mar-14 16:45:56
Print Post

If the time drifts later as the days get lighter then issue may just be radio station pickup, rather than local interference. Or someone has a security light that flickers on at that time of day.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JGO
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 18:53:06
Print Post

[re: insider12] [link to this post]

"Easiest way is to test yourself, get a analogue radio and tune to 612Khz, if you move it near a object with emitting REIN, you will hear a loud static crackle. Easy to do in your home, not so much in someone else's smile "

True but just a point - a special case of Murphy's Law !
Impulse noise will have a line spectrum at the repetition rate, BUT it is not a uniform spectrum and it is possible to have a null at 612 kHz ! Thus just to be sure, tune round a bit.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Mar-14 19:19:42
Print Post

Re: REIN

I'm not sure if the same can be done with VDSL as for ADSL regarding running a program such as RouterStats (Lite) which can then monitor on/off times for the interference by showing when your SNR margin jumps up or down (or disconnects occur).

I was suffering a fairly severe case of REIN just over a year ago, and by using a combination of RouterStats Lite and an old MW radio I was able to find out where the interference was coming from. In my case my SNR margin was jumping up and down by 6-7dB.

I tracked it down to a nearby house where there was an illegal 'farm' operating. wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to