User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Mar-14 19:46:13
Print Post

Re: R.A.I.N

[re: insider12] [link to this post]

All BT engineers are now REIN trained,

Complete and utter tosh confused

All SFI engineers are given an 'overview' of the subject, and some are given a hand held radio to use, but this is only of use to suggest that there may be REIN in the area.

Standard User maniac886
(member) Thu 20-Mar-14 19:47:42
Print Post

Re: R.E.I.N (thanks to Mr Saffron for correcting me!)

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ismoore999:
All

Has anyone had to have one of these done by BT and do you know how long it takes for one to be instigated?

I have been told it takes "some time" as REIN engineers seem to be few and far between, but am wondering how long?

Many thanks in advance

PS I am with PlusNet and have also posted there but have only duplicated as a generic question of OpenReach

R.E.I.N, my favourite subject, not! I had an issue with R.E.I.N about 3 years ago which caused multiple drop outs to my service as well as my neighbours. It's a long story but involved 8 engineer visits,leaflet drops to my neighbours and walking around my local area with a Nova Pal 3 waveband Direction Finder.

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer but what I found is that BT Openreach have a specific set of 'checks' they have to perform before calling out a REIN Engineer, I wish I could say it was a quick process but it's long and drawn out, well it was in my case!

BT Infinity
200m to cabinet
72.15MB/s down / 16.03MB/s up

Edited by maniac886 (Thu 20-Mar-14 19:48:15)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Mar-14 19:55:07
Print Post

It is according to one of the engineers a real issue, overloaded, and they are getting a lot of underground issues reported for it. He hated it as he said everytime they fix one problem they risk creating another

This sounds more like crosstalk. The engineers are swapping out the pairs, but this just moves the problem nearer to someone else's line. But then you'd expect it to be an issue 24/7 .......

If it's REIN, you need to make sure the engineer knows it's just affecting FTTC services, as the frequencies usually checked may well be clear. The 444 meter also is not able to be retuned. Maybe the funky new JDSU 'paddles' can be, I don't know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User insider12
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 08:41:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
All BT engineers are now REIN trained,

Complete and utter tosh confused

All SFI engineers are given an 'overview' of the subject, and some are given a hand held radio to use, but this is only of use to suggest that there may be REIN in the area.

Thats strange, I deal with around 20-30 SFI's a day and receive the service updates direct from BTW. Been over a year since had a SFI not able to fully investigate REIN with the co-op team. Any requests for REIN engineers are flatly refused pointing to the BT notice regarding this.

In regards to this problem, are you sure its REIN? What has lead you to believe this?
Are you connecting via direct connection or via wireless? It could be over-saturation at peak times.

CCNA, CCNP, MTA.
Virgin Media 60Mbps
ISP networking and WiFi Engineer.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Fri 21-Mar-14 10:17:33
Print Post

The suggestion from support based on this snippit from the connection logs:

Line 49 : 2014-03-18 06:41:32 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 39.8 minutes.
Line 111: 2014-03-18 06:54:30 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 12.3 minutes.
Line 173: 2014-03-18 07:22:38 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 27.6 minutes.
Line 234: 2014-03-18 08:17:05 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 54.0 minutes.
Line 295: 2014-03-18 17:06:50 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 528.5 minutes.
Line 356: 2014-03-18 17:40:53 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 33.6 minutes.
Line 416: 2014-03-18 17:57:53 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 16.5 minutes.
Line 476: 2014-03-18 18:02:19 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 3.7 minutes.
Line 536: 2014-03-18 18:18:56 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 15.7 minutes.
Line 597: 2014-03-18 18:23:45 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 4.2 minutes.
Line 658: 2014-03-18 18:32:09 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 7.6 minutes.
Line 720: 2014-03-18 18:42:30 [Informational] syslog: Connect time 9.7 minutes.

Regular as "clockwork" between 17:00 and 08:30 everyday with disconnects throughout that whole period. It is usual that I get through other times with one or two disconnects

Though I am investigating some other possibilitiies too....
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 17:09:46
Print Post

Trust me, I know. wink

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Mar-14 20:25:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Nah! Surely not tongue smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Mar-14 20:30:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by insider12:
All BT engineers are now REIN trained, in the past it used to be a nightmare to get a REIN engineer but BT OR now used dedicated REIN co-op teams that any SFI can call into.
I think if you look deeper you will find that the vast majority of OR engineers are "informed" to the degree that Zarjaz says, rather than REIN "trained". Your statement in the first clause here would only be true if all OR engineers were SFI trained.

If they were, there would be no such thing as SFI.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Mon 31-Mar-14 17:56:47
Print Post

So I thought I would give a little update on this.
I have now had two further BT visits - one at 15:00 and one at 13:00! As the issue occurs after 17:00 , then guess what - they found no issue at the time.

The first call out was after another fix to a line fault, which improved things as the frequency of disconnects reduced. The second was arranged by BT after an unexpected Fibre and Phone outage - though BT claim no knowledge of this.

I have explained that this occurs (and is still occurring even with time change) after about 17:15, but everyone is gone by that time.

I have also gone back to the BT modem from the Asus N66U VDSL router I had.
The Asus gives more disconnects and this is being seen as User disconnects - but as I can see the stats, ir usually drops the line after a dramatic increase in CRC errors (several thousand per minute) and (sometimes) a sudden drop in SNR.

The BT modem has a more stable connection but I do notice a huge increase in ping times (several minutes where ping times between 50 and 300ms) for short periods before going back to normal. Could this be a result in the BT modem being more tolerant and not disconnecting? Being a black box I have no idea.
I am also finding periods of lag and buffering so it seems something is still amiss.

ISP has now noted that speed is being capped again so I am slightly forward in so much as using BT modem is reducing the disconnects but the underlying problem is still there.

One fine day I may have an engineer on site at the right time!!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Apr-14 19:05:08
Print Post

One fine day I may have an engineer on site at the right time!!

You are going to have to ask your ISP to get an out of hours appointment, for which they/you will have to pay, I'm afraid.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to