User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 14:40:57
Print Post

Re: Another Router To Use?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i see, Thanks for the info. I guess I will just stick to the software version.

I'm going to turn wifi off on the HH5 and then use my ipad on the FON point. If that' even possible until it;'s turned off which I believe can take up to a month.

Also the ramifications of someone using the FON access for something illegal I've asked about also

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 14:45:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:59:04
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

FON access is not over your public IP, but one specifically used for FON and as devices have to be registered FON can track and satisfy the requirements to satisfy court requests.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 15:10:39
Print Post

I see, that's put my mind at rest thank you.

I am still in 2 minds as to whether I should just ask for the HG612 and buy an Asus (or use my TP-Link). I don't care much for BT hotspots i've never used one before and probably never will.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 16:57:34
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
I know a few fiends ....
Can be dangerous.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-May-14 18:25:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LOL, but in retrospect perhaps a Freudian slip as it sums up some of my friends quite accurately so I shall leave it as is smile.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 22:48:55
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 17:59:48
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keithwjones:
Has anyone got any recommendations for another router?

I was supplied with a HH3 and moved to an Asus RT-N66U and its like another world. Last week I upgraded from the N66U to the new AC68U as I have some AC kit to test, and I've sold my N66U to my parents smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 18:00:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The HH5 has no modem only mode, so if looking to improve wireless I would recommend a wireless access point rather than a full router

If you need three stream dual band WiFi the Asus RT-N66U has an Access Point mode which works very well. There are very few Access Point only devices that are three stream dual band. There are some Dual Band two stream ones.

(It depends on the devices you're connecting).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-May-14 19:54:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

True, but not a cheap wireless access point, but then if you want the speed that is the price that has to be paid

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 22:50:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
True, but not a cheap wireless access point, but then if you want the speed that is the price that has to be paid

The only real cheap one I've found is this one:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

or maybe this:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

Everything else starts at £75 and consists of a full router set to AP mode, or where you have a router and turn off its DHCP and ignore the WAN ports. The price is then closer to £100. Thus making the Asus RT-N66U not a silly suggestion if you want 3 stream dual band (marketed as N900) with GigE ports.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to